Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Font size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claud
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
Avatar
mb
Hi, I am writing a rulebook for a card game (Going Further) and I am struggling because it looks that the size of the game box is driven by the size of the rulebook, rather than the number and size of the cards!

Any suggestion, or link to another thread, about what is a minimum font size, margin etc. for a small rulebook that still needs to be read?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with some old guys that wouldn't be able to read anything smaller than 12 point font. I wouldn't recommend going smaller than that personally.

What is the problem with making the rule book smaller but thicker? Adding more pages is usually pretty easy.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb

In my experience, it's not only size, but also the font itself that can make it easier or harder to read. And I don't mean just fancy fonts: I've seen a couple fairly simple fonts that for some reason were just harder to read.

How about printing some samples, and handing then out to old gamer farts with glasses to see how they fare?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
Avatar
mb
theTrueMikeBrown wrote:

What is the problem with making the rule book smaller but thicker? Adding more pages is usually pretty easy.


Good suggestion. The other problem is that images are a good way to explain rules, but they cannot be too small as well. I will make some trials.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
Avatar
mb
kswingruber wrote:

How about printing some samples, and handing then out to old gamer farts with glasses to see how they fare?


Yap, going to do that, I already know a couple of them (including myself...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the current layout? Page size, margins, # of columns, type size, font family, tracking and leading? How many pages?

And what are your goals for final trim size and page count?

Has the text been finalized? A good edit can save space.

Can you post a page or two?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
How about printing some samples, and handing then out to old gamer farts with glasses to see how they fare?
If you check out my handle, I believe I am well qualified, and would be happy to offer myself as test case. whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
Avatar
mb
aesthetocyst wrote:
What's the current layout? Page size, margins, # of columns, type size, font family, tracking and leading? How many pages?

And what are your goals for final trim size and page count?

Has the text been finalized? A good edit can save space.

Can you post a page or two?


The rules, with basically no formatting, are here:

Going Further rules.

The game has only square tiles, 2 inches wide. If tiles are stored in two stacks, the box base will be a bit more than 2x4 inches (6x12 cm), while the height would be about 2 inches (5cm).
I suppose I could increase the box size and add some divider? But this would increase the costs, and I have half empty boxes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When playtesting a game font size is one of the first things I look at.

I set up on my monitor the pages to the same scale as they would be printed and use that as my gauge as to wether or not the font is too small.

Way back in the 90s several CCGs would print their rules on cards in fonts so tiny even with good eyes a magnifying glass was about required to read them. REALLY hated that.

Right now your font is ok more or less. You might want to consider increasing the size about one point, but not much past that I think. Its right at that threshold for me. Any smaller and if I saw this at a store I'd pass.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Claudinko wrote:


The rules, with basically no formatting, are here:

Going Further rules.

The game has only square tiles, 2 inches wide. If tiles are stored in two stacks, the box base will be a bit more than 2x4 inches (6x12 cm), while the height would be about 2 inches (5cm).
I suppose I could increase the box size and add some divider? But this would increase the costs, and I have half empty boxes.


That's a great start on the rules!

Small tile / card games are often oversize in relation to the tiles/card to achieve shelf presence, which also afford more room for a larger rules pamphlet. But never fear...

2" x 4" is pretty tough, but not impossible. A short wide book, bound at the left with a staple, like a Chick tract, little wider than a business card.

Even 2"x2", if it was text only, no diagrams (or only much simpler diagrams), you could do an accordion.

But you go have larger diagrams. If 2"x4" is the limit, then I suggest a 4"x4" booklet, folded in half. 16pgs, laid out on 4 sheets. 1st page intro, last page outro, in the middle diagrams on the left, explanation on the right.

Some of the text could be edited down.

Creating a 2"x4" card that illustrates key concepts on 1 side, with some bullet-point reminders on the other side, something the player can hold while playing, may also help.

Want to give it a go?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Claudinko wrote:
Hi, I am writing a rulebook for a card game (Going Further) and I am struggling because it looks that the size of the game box is driven by the size of the rulebook, rather than the number and size of the cards!

Any suggestion, or link to another thread, about what is a minimum font size, margin etc. for a small rulebook that still needs to be read?


I like to make small games and use a 5.5inch box. Ironically the printers do not have a 5inch size rulebook, but they accommodate custom orders.

So... once you are comfortable with a font size and font - then just divide the rules into pages. If there are a lot of rules there will be more pages.
When doing this I usually allow 1/2 page of text per page to give room for images, examples, etc. So its very restrictive. You really end up explaining one concept per page.

Keep the margins wide, you can always let images go right up to and over the edge. But the text should sit comfortable between your thumbs. You also need to do this anyway because of possible print drift when printed.

The rules are the game. Give it the space it needs. Hope this helps.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
Avatar
mb
I am trying now to put the rules on the cards. About 30 2inx2in cards for the rules.
Text can be large enough in this way and the costs are probably even lower than having less cards but a booklet.

Still not sure players want 30 loose cards for the rules.

As soon as I have the files I will post them.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
Avatar
mb
Claudinko wrote:
I am trying now to put the rules on the cards. About 30 2inx2in cards for the rules.
Text can be large enough in this way and the costs are probably even lower than having less cards but a booklet.

Still not sure players want 30 loose cards for the rules.

As soon as I have the files I will post them.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.


Hi, here are the updated RULES

Too annoying?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.