Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Hamilton
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now live on The Game Crafter with Heroes of Karth: Deathmatch and am ready to start to do a roadshow promoting the game. Which conventions should I attend to promote a deck building card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best exposure for any games are Gencon, Essesn, Pax Unplugged and Origins because these cons have the biggest audience. That said, tough I love Origins, it is less focused on buying games than the others. At Gencon and Esses, you'll reach a lot of long time games, at Pax, you'll reach a lot of people getting into the hobby or who are more vidoe/board/rpg game people. If I were you, I would do Gencon or Essen and Pax, covering the widest audience and most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem with using TGC for sales is that if you are promoting at a convention, you don't have product to sell (unless you are buying copies up front to sell, which means you'd have to mark the price up at the convention and spending a decent amount before the convention starts).

At many conventions, the appeal is being able to buy the game right after a demo and liking it enough to look for. Once the convention is over, most promo materials or notes for games unpurchased become garbage or stuffed into the swag bag to be forgotten for a while and rarely get checked while the memories are still fresh.

Honestly, I'm also still not convinced TGC is a good way to sell a game since people can't get the shipping discounts for buying a game bundled with others, and sales numbers are significantly lower than is possible via retail outlets (though with less risk to the designer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i can't think of a convention where there's a place set aside for people to promote games like this. most cons i've attended have the exhibit hall, where you can rent space and demo/sell (but i assume that's not what you have in mind) and a prototype space for, well, prototypes and playtesting (that's where you'll find me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably need to get it into the hands of video reviewers, other reviewers, and bloggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin G

Detroit
Michigan
msg tools
PAX Unplugged has an UnPub area. There were some very early prototypes there with developers demoing and taking notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins also has an unpublished room. I assumed that Gencon and ess n would have those too but I have only attended Origins and Pax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
What is your budget?

Going to conventions is expensive. Expect Origins, Pax, and Gencon to cost a minimum of $1000 after you add up hotel costs, travel expenses, etc...

Even travelling to smaller cons can be a few hundred once you factor in food, lodging, and travel expenses.

Will you have product to sell? If so, almost every convention will require you to purchase a vendor table (and sometimes insurance) plus you'll need to follow all of the local and state laws with regard to taxes.

How good are you at selling your game? Can you talk strangers walking by into trying it out? How many times can you demo your game in a single day?

Do you have promotional material to handout? Do you have a way for folk to buy your game if they don't purchase from you at a con?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.