14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Concerns about permanent changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Rowley
msg tools
Hi guys,

I just got my copy of Gloomhaven last night (wooo!!), but I have a couple of questions about the permanent changes made to the board over time. One of the things I love about board games is that I can revisit them at any time, with or without power, and get lots and lots of gameplay out of them over the course of many years. I can already tell Gloomhaven is going to be a blast for me, but part of me is wincing at the thought of making permanent changes to the game over time.

Do these changes make it impossible to replay the game from the beginning? Are the stickers reusable / removable? Will this affect things if I want to bring in new players to join a game that originally started with only two? Should I just stop being paranoid and play the bloody game already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Paiva
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unithralith wrote:
Do these changes make it impossible to replay the game from the beginning? Are the stickers reusable / removable? Will this affect things if I want to bring in new players to join a game that originally started with only two? Should I just stop being paranoid and play the bloody game already?

No, No, No, Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adv666 wrote:
No, No, No, Yes
And if you want longer answers than that, look up any of the dozen or more previous discussions on the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mosbaugh
United States
san leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a removable sticker pack available for around $10. So it is possible with that to ‘reset’ the game for another’s play through with different decisions or if you wanted to pass it along after finishing the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
unithralith wrote:
Are the stickers reusable / removable?

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/gloomhaven_remov...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Rowley
msg tools
Answers that short will work for me just fine. I'm the kind of guy who hates the thought of marring one of his games; I probably just have to force myself to suck it up and keep on truckin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llyranor Ilfarath
msg tools
mbmb
I think the removable (reusable if you're careful) sticker set is a good investment if you're worried about not being able to reset the game. Sure there are apps or you can spreadsheets, but putting stickers on a big cool map is fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
msg tools
This is pretty much a legacy game. However you can buy the reusable sticker pack to reset the game. It’s on Amazon for about $20 and Meeplesource.com for $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Permanent changes"
a) stickering the map
b) global achievement stickers
c) tally marks on the board or scenario book indicating things like prosperity, looted treasures, completed scenarios
d) breaking the sticker on sealed boxes/envelopes/books
e) ability enhancements

Most of these are really quite minor and can be carried out in alternate ways (either on the initial playthrough to avoid the "permanent" changes entirely, or using alternate methods to track things during subsequent playthroughs.

A) The map.
stickering the map basically just indicates the expansion of the "known world" in a sense. I say sticker away, and on subsequent playthroughs, you can just track which scenarios have been unlocked or completed/blocked via a paper list or spreadsheet/app.

B) achievments
again, these can be tracked via paper/app

C) tally marks
paper/app yet again

D) sealed stuff
putting stuff back in the box/envelope for future playthroughs. taping it closed if you want. Obviously, you can't unlearn the knowledge of what is inside (without messy and risky lobotomization), so the lack of surprise can diminish the appeal of future playthroughs

E) ability enhancement
this is the only really tricky aspect to deal with, but can be accomplished via card sleeves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Obviously, you can't unlearn the knowledge of what is inside (without messy and risky lobotomization), so the lack of surprise can diminish the appeal of future playthroughs

Joke's on you -- I play only when I'm blackout drunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Obviously, you can't unlearn the knowledge of what is inside (without messy and risky lobotomization), so the lack of surprise can diminish the appeal of future playthroughs

which can be as risky and messy as lobotomization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Link
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Back off, man! I'm a Scientist!
badge
All hail El Goblino!
mbmbmbmbmb
unithralith wrote:
Answers that short will work for me just fine. I'm the kind of guy who hates the thought of marring one of his games; I probably just have to force myself to suck it up and keep on truckin'.

I was in your shoes completely. Then I got Risk Legacy for Christmas this year. I played one scenario and felt a joyous liberation.

When you look at how many hours of content are in the box, ask yourself how likely you are to go through it even once. Given the variety of games I play, this is a distinct possibility.

There are casual rules for just plunking down a scenario when you don't have your main group - you can play any scenario you want. If you want, you can play it at any level you want. Embrace the legacy, and see where the ride takes you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Automatische Piloot
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

and you have the excellent avatar to match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into the online Campaign tracker (https://ninjalooter.de/gloomhaven/). Other than card enhancements (which you won't be able to afford for a good long while), this site duplicates all the features of the board and the stickers. Use the board. And then replay with the tracker. Or use the tracker and save the board and stickers in their pristine condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.