The Guns of August» Forums » Rules

Subject: BEF to Albania: Sea movement or amphibious invasion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Luis Bonilla Rau
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi!

I am playing the campaign game as the Allies. It's October 1914 and the German forces that have been made available by not invading Belgium are helping Austria-Hungary in beating the crap out of the Serbians. So I think it is a good idea for the BEF to sail to Durazzo in Albania to support Serbia.

The problem is rule 23.45. "The Allied player ... may not conduct an amphibious invasion before January 1915".

Albania is not an enemy so, am I undertaking a sea move? or an amphibious invasion? (which would be forbidden until January 1915)

Thank you in advance for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David King
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Note: Any city in a coastal hex is considered a
port. For sea supply purposes, "control of a
port" is defined according to 8.0.

8.1. A player is considered to control a hex if
it is currently, or was most recently occupied
by a friendly unit.

[Assuming that Skopje is friendly then you could use sea movement to get there as there are no restrictions on moving to Adriatic hexes. But you van only move 6 points there and only supply 6 points [/i][/i]

12.33. The Allied sea movement capacity is
six points. This capacity may be used to
move units from any port that the Allied
player currently controls to any other port
that he currently controls (Exception: see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Bonilla Rau
Spain
flag msg tools
All right! I am really thankful for the answer, but I don't see it going to the heart of the issue. Please allow me to rephrase my question in a more direct way:

In October 1914, when no one still has crossed its borders, is Albania to be considered friendly (and thus, sea movement could be undertaken to Durazzo) or enemy to the Allies?(then, no sea move could be undertaken to Durazzo, just an amphibious landing fron January 1915 onwards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Popejoy
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
GWX Dev Team
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bonillarau wrote:
All right! I am really thankful for the answer, but I don't see it going to the heart of the issue. Please allow me to rephrase my question in a more direct way:

In October 1914, when no one still has crossed its borders, is Albania to be considered friendly (and thus, sea movement could be undertaken to Durazzo) or enemy to the Allies?(then, no sea move could be undertaken to Durazzo, just an amphibious landing fron January 1915 onwards).

I would say that Albania is not allied with the Allied Powers, nor is Durazzo friendly territory, so you have to use an amphibious invasion (§23.3) unless other restrictions preclude an invasion. Note that you do not need to declare war on Albania to launch your invasion.

Applicable Rules
The applicable rules are:

- Rule §6.12, which says that neutral countries join an alliance when a belligerent declares war on them, or via scenario or optional rules; and

- Rule §6.42, which calls out Albania (and Luxembourg) as countries that may be entered by belligerents without a declaration of war.

Rationale
Since your opponent did not declare war on Albania, it remains neutral and so Durazzo cannot be considered "friendly." Since it is not friendly you can only use an amphibious landing to move troops to Durazzo.

Historical Background
Albania started the war in a state of anarchy due to a combination of peasant revolts and attempted coups d'etat, with various tribal chieftains exercising local control. Greece, Italy, Serbia, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, and France all occupied portions of Albania during the war at one time or another. A central Albanian government did not emerge until after the war.

BTW, the same question came up in this forum thread.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Bonilla Rau
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi!

Thank you very much for your well grounded answer. This is now crystal clear to me.

Nevertheless, I don't know if anyone grasps the implications of the Allied inability to land on Durazzo before January 1915. It makes sense for the Central Powers not to invade Belgium, just screen it. The german units set free by this can then be detrained on the Serbian border, where the Serbians get crushed before any significant Allied help can arrive.

The thing is, that by forbidding the sea movement onto Albania, the German units can be deployed without facing British or French units. Which is an advantage they don't have when invading Belgium. The advantages of this "Serbian Gambit" seem so great to me, as to be the only sensible strategy for the CP at the beginning of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Popejoy
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
GWX Dev Team
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bonillarau wrote:
Hi!

Nevertheless, I don't know if anyone grasps the implications of the Allied inability to land on Durazzo before January 1915. It makes sense for the Central Powers not to invade Belgium, just screen it. The german units set free by this can then be detrained on the Serbian border, where the Serbians get crushed before any significant Allied help can arrive.

The thing is, that by forbidding the sea movement onto Albania, the German units can be deployed without facing British or French units. Which is an advantage they don't have when invading Belgium. The advantages of this "Serbian Gambit" seem so great to me, as to be the only sensible strategy for the CP at the beginning of the war.

Hi!

I'm not so sure a focus on Serbia is Germany's best option. You may want to check out Germany's Future Lies East to see how an alternative strategy worked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Paul Popejoy wrote above: "I'm not so sure a focus on Serbia is Germany's best option. You may want to check out Germany's Future Lies East to see how an alternative strategy worked out."

I agree with Paul's comment, and would follow instead the distribution German armies based on Schlieffen's 1905 exercises that focused on smashing the Russians with overwhelming force -- while standing on the defense in the west -- and then rapidly transferring [via the efficient German rail system] large forces back to the west for a massive counter attack against France (see The Real German War Plan: 1904 – 1914; Zuber, 2011: pp. 41-45).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.