Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » General

Subject: Patrols rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I love Fields of Fire. Every game I've played, I've thoroughly enjoyed. I love everything about it, except Patrol missions.

The first patrol mission I played got me excited because it presented such a different scenario to play out. But every single Patrol mission I've played has been a very tedious experience. There isn't all that much to do, because you'll likely just move into a handful of cards, and it generally isn't that difficult to complete them. But they feel incredibly tedious and every patrol mission I've played made me want to wrap it all up as quickly as possible.

I'm now on the second Korea mission, which is a patrol mission on an enormously big terrain. For the first time, I'm considering just skipping it and moving on to mission 3.

I've seen some similar sentiments about patrol missions on the forums here, but I wonder whether there is a way to make them more engaging (or, indeed, whether I'm even playing them properly...).

What do you all think of patrols? If you like them, what about it do you like? Any suggestions on how to make them more interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hate them. And even though I love the system as a whole, I find that I can never start a new campaign because I know in advance I don't want to play the patrols.

I would have just abstracted them out of the design and I'm frankly surprised that it wasn't done in the 2nd ed. Simulate the patrols by drawing a card and looking up an effect on a table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished my first Patrol -- the set of three patrols in Mission 3 in the Normandy campaign. I thought it was kind of fun!

Yes, there were fewer units to push around, but that was part of the appeal for me -- it was a quicker, lighter change of pace. Plus, the night-time setting made for some interesting twists on things, as when my CO XO got lost in the dark and ended up standing alone in a swamp, and then Paralyzed by an errant round of friendly artillery. Also, the new rules, while not perfect, are an improvement over the first edition.

Obviously I'm not as experienced as you guys, but so far I'm a dissenting voice: I like what I've seen of patrols, and I'm looking forward to playing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eci esse
Italy
flag msg tools
mixed feelings..
on the plus side less units to control and more possibility to cure all details
on the other hand.. if you are not immersed enough in the narrative they tend to be repetitive in the general schemes even if the single encounters are obviously different

some questions for more experienced players..

do you patrol en force? I mean the whole platoon (and from what i know even that was not usual) plus mg and FO? and mortars?

Amd what about COHQ? and XO and 1stsgt? I left all in the outpost in my first patrols but having the plthq out of command is a pain in the neck

how and when do you use flares for illumination? never used ‘em so I must be missing something..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.