Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Gentes» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Gentes Deluxified™ Kickstarter is live!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott C.
United States
Puyallup
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super excited for this game.

Thank you TMG for a fair price with the deluxified treatment. I was sad to see all the stickers until I read the stretch goals for silkscreen. Yes please!

Here is a link to the page. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/gentes-de...
13 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here about the stickers. They almost funded already, there's pretty much zero chance they wont unlock those.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect kind of Stretch goal really. Really hope I can afford to back this one, but it's been an expensive month!
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C.
United States
Puyallup
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Perfect kind of Stretch goal really. Really hope I can afford to back this one, but it's been an expensive month!


Expensive indeed. I back a total of 6 projects in 2017. It's only January this year and there are 4 I already want to back haha.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted, I already own the first edition and am happy with it, but unless they silk screen everything — ESPECIALLY the action tiles which you handle all game, every game - I’m not interested. Stickers suck. Plus they’ll wear with repeated plays. Those should come before any insert.

The player boards, board, and card changes are quite nice. The time tokens sound like a good idea in theory but could be fiddlier in execution. It’s easy to take one time token, use the double side, and then flip it for the single. Less grabbing and removing of bits. Plus less mess if accidentally bumping the player board and remembering what was a double, etc.

I’ll be watching to see how far things get and what other improvements they offer.

The game itself, however, is excellent. So if you don’t own it, get it.
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Séb V.
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any idea if the "new cities" mini expension will be compatible with this deluxified version ?
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baby Elephant
United States
North Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. It's compatible with all expansions.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbyrayiam wrote:
Granted, I already own the first edition and am happy with it, but unless they silk screen everything — ESPECIALLY the action tiles which you handle all game, every game - I’m not interested. Stickers suck. Plus they’ll wear with repeated plays. Those should come before any insert.

The player boards, board, and card changes are quite nice. The time tokens sound like a good idea in theory but could be fiddlier in execution. It’s easy to take one time token, use the double side, and then flip it for the single. Less grabbing and removing of bits. Plus less mess if accidentally bumping the player board and remembering what was a double, etc.

I’ll be watching to see how far things get and what other improvements they offer.

The game itself, however, is excellent. So if you don’t own it, get it.

I agree about the stickers on the action tiles, and really hope that silkscreening them becomes a stretch goal. (They've commented there are no more stretch goals planned, but they are open to suggestions, and that one has been mentioned several times already.)

I also agree about the time tokens being a bit more fiddly having to deal with 2 separate ones for a double. But since it's a dual-layer player board, bumping the board shouldn't cause problems.

Have you played this at 2-player count, and if so, how does it compare vs 3 or 4?
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Laporte
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

There's something about having lots of wood and metal in a game that really elevates the experience. I've been more than happy with my deluxe version of Yokohama, and I'm sure this TMG version of Gentes will turn out to be just as wonderful.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mainshane wrote:

There's something about having lots of wood and metal in a game that really elevates the experience. I've been more than happy with my deluxe version of Yokohama, and I'm sure this TMG version of Gentes will turn out to be just as wonderful.


Yokohama is the perfect deluxe edition, if this is like that I'll have to find the money from somewhere!
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After missing Yokohama Deluxe and Orleans Deluxe (and deeply regretting it) pretty much every TMG kickstarter is a must back for me now.

I do agree about the time markers. They were so elegant in the original game. I would have preferred wooden versions of this as it's just less fiddly.
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the stickers vs silk-screening on the action tiles, this was just posted, and now I understand why it might not be done (but I hope it will be possible!):

We are still waiting to hear more details about how precise the action tiles can be silk screened there is a lot of information on those tiles and they will be stickers if our quality concerns can't be fully addressed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this up in an older thread but...

Is anyone else not a fan of the font for the zeroes? The line through the middle makes them harder to read.



Here's the original for comparison.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
bobbyrayiam wrote:
Granted, I already own the first edition and am happy with it, but unless they silk screen everything — ESPECIALLY the action tiles which you handle all game, every game - I’m not interested. Stickers suck. Plus they’ll wear with repeated plays. Those should come before any insert.

The player boards, board, and card changes are quite nice. The time tokens sound like a good idea in theory but could be fiddlier in execution. It’s easy to take one time token, use the double side, and then flip it for the single. Less grabbing and removing of bits. Plus less mess if accidentally bumping the player board and remembering what was a double, etc.

I’ll be watching to see how far things get and what other improvements they offer.

The game itself, however, is excellent. So if you don’t own it, get it.

I agree about the stickers on the action tiles, and really hope that silkscreening them becomes a stretch goal. (They've commented there are no more stretch goals planned, but they are open to suggestions, and that one has been mentioned several times already.)

I also agree about the time tokens being a bit more fiddly having to deal with 2 separate ones for a double. But since it's a dual-layer player board, bumping the board shouldn't cause problems.

Have you played this at 2-player count, and if so, how does it compare vs 3 or 4?


Good. The interaction is mild at any player count. You will likely use most, if not all, cards in a 4-player game so there is more turnover. That being said -- contrary to Rahdo's final thoughts -- racing for a particular card really isn't part of the game. Regardless of your strategy, there are many good cards, not just a few. The game is one of degrees, not radically different and independent strategies.

The big differences in 3-4 player, especially 4, is the card turnover and putting out cities. You aren't necessarily going to get blocked out of a region but you are more likely to lose a city you have your eye on.

The rest of the scaling is pretty good. I've played it at all player counts and enjoy it at all player counts. In some respects, efficiency is more important in a 2-player game because building cities is expensive (from a time perspective), especially early in the game. So I'd say 2-player is gentler in terms of the limited amount of interaction in the game but it is also harder to get things going (due to the action tiles that are removed in a 2-player game).

While I play at all player counts, I play more 2-player than anything. Gentes is satisfying and works well at that count.
8 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They have already hit $100,000 which was thier final stretch goal. Maybe they will add others.

"remove one time marker per box" is a pretty easy mechannism to explain. If the time track is inset (not sure if it is), bumping time markers may be a minor issue.

Brian
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
"remove one time marker per box" is a pretty easy mechanism to explain.

This.

Everything about just using single hourglasses and putting 2 in the same box is just easier.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
N9IWP wrote:
"remove one time marker per box" is a pretty easy mechanism to explain.

This.

Everything about just using single hourglasses and putting 2 in the same box is just easier.

I completely agree. Even though I loved the double sided hourglass chits, I love the new single hourglass tokens more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
N9IWP wrote:
"remove one time marker per box" is a pretty easy mechanism to explain.

This.

Everything about just using single hourglasses and putting 2 in the same box is just easier.


"Flip the double hourglass tile" is pretty darn easy to explain too. I'm not saying the hourglass markers are terrible -- I think they'll be fiddly but that's just my subjective opinion -- but it's a bit of a stretch to say it is "just easier". It's nearly the same thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbyrayiam wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
N9IWP wrote:
"remove one time marker per box" is a pretty easy mechanism to explain.

This.

Everything about just using single hourglasses and putting 2 in the same box is just easier.


"Flip the double hourglass tile" is pretty darn easy to explain too. I'm not saying the hourglass markers are terrible -- I think they'll be fiddly but that's just my subjective opinion -- but it's a bit of a stretch to say it is "just easier". It's nearly the same thing.


Actually, with the original release, the rules are "remove all singles", then "flip all doubles".

The new edition would be simply "remove one from each space". That's why it's better.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
bobbyrayiam wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
N9IWP wrote:
"remove one time marker per box" is a pretty easy mechanism to explain.

This.

Everything about just using single hourglasses and putting 2 in the same box is just easier.


"Flip the double hourglass tile" is pretty darn easy to explain too. I'm not saying the hourglass markers are terrible -- I think they'll be fiddly but that's just my subjective opinion -- but it's a bit of a stretch to say it is "just easier". It's nearly the same thing.


Actually, with the original release, the rules are "remove all singles", then "flip all doubles".

The new edition would be simply "remove one from each space". That's why it's better.


If someone needs things that simplified in order to grasp it, they may be playing the wrong game. Nevertheless, to each their own.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
bobbyrayiam wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
N9IWP wrote:
"remove one time marker per box" is a pretty easy mechanism to explain.

This.

Everything about just using single hourglasses and putting 2 in the same box is just easier.


"Flip the double hourglass tile" is pretty darn easy to explain too. I'm not saying the hourglass markers are terrible -- I think they'll be fiddly but that's just my subjective opinion -- but it's a bit of a stretch to say it is "just easier". It's nearly the same thing.


Actually, with the original release, the rules are "remove all singles", then "flip all doubles".

The new edition would be simply "remove one from each space". That's why it's better.

David beat me to the response.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
bobbyrayiam wrote:
Granted, I already own the first edition and am happy with it, but unless they silk screen everything — ESPECIALLY the action tiles which you handle all game, every game - I’m not interested. Stickers suck.


Stickers, IMO, are totally incongruous with Deluxified™. Weird choice is an otherwise amazing looking game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, I've been waiting for this one. Though, I'm strongly leaning toward the standard version if I'm being honest, I think a lot of the upgrades look kind of bad to my taste (though I'm really glad to see they stuck with the same art and the cards even look a bit better than the original). I mean don't get me wrong, it's not minis level ugly, but the "deluxe" version just really doesn't look as good to me. But for some reason it feels weird not getting the super deluxe one, in spite of it costing less and seeming more appealing.

Also, is there no shipping table or am I just blind? And do we have an estimate on the MSRP of the standard version? If I don't want the deluxe stuff, is there an incentive to backing now vs waiting for retail?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
Regarding the stickers vs silk-screening on the action tiles, this was just posted, and now I understand why it might not be done (but I hope it will be possible!):

We are still waiting to hear more details about how precise the action tiles can be silk screened there is a lot of information on those tiles and they will be stickers if our quality concerns can't be fully addressed.


The action tiles are really the most important component in the game. They're always in play, constantly being touched and used. I'd be willing to sacrifice the stretch goals we've gotten so far just to get bakelite tiles if screen printing doesn't work.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
TooOld4Games2 wrote:
Regarding the stickers vs silk-screening on the action tiles, this was just posted, and now I understand why it might not be done (but I hope it will be possible!):

We are still waiting to hear more details about how precise the action tiles can be silk screened there is a lot of information on those tiles and they will be stickers if our quality concerns can't be fully addressed.


The action tiles are really the most important component in the game. They're always in play, constantly being touched and used. I'd be willing to sacrifice the stretch goals we've gotten so far just to get bakelite tiles if screen printing doesn't work.


That would make my life easier as there's absolutely no way I have any interest in a version of this game with bakelite tiles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.