Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My next order:

Attack on Titan: The Last Stand
Fallout the board game
Photosynthesis or Adrenaline.

What drew me to Photosynthesis is how unique it is, it's beautiful (Everything pops). I appreciate things that are different and this game is definitely unique and it seems like it would be fun. My only issue is, after many replays will this game seem samey? I suppose that argument could be made about most games (if not all). Is there replay value in this one?

What drew me in about Adrenaline is that I really like warfare/combat in games. Even though combat based themes are my favorite, I usually will skip them for a better game/fuller experience. For example I LOVE being competitive, but I happen to keep picking up cooperative BGs and I'm planning on getting more in the future. Anyway, I like how this is unreal tournament the board game, I want more shoot'em ups in my collection that are at least somewhat tactical or strategic. My concern is the same issue, will running around constantly shooting and adverting recently killed characters become mundane? Btw I don't want cry havoc due to 2 of the 4 factions being awful.

Here is my current collection:

Hanabi
Pandemic
Bang! Dice Game
Dixit

Quantum
The Resistance
Machi Koro

Sheriff of Nottingham
Dead Men Tell No Tales
Arctic Scavengers(HQ+Recon)
Specter Ops

Mission: Red Planet
Survive! Escape From Atlantis
Biblios
Carcassonne Big Box 5

Scythe
Vast: The Crystal Caverns
Shadows Over Camelot
7 Wonders Duel

I just got 7 wonders duel as a gift (haven't played it yet)

What would you suggest? Which would fill a bigger gap in my collection? Would you recommend another game entirely? I'm open to suggestions. Except I don't want cry havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One interesting thing I've noticed about photosynthesis both for myself, and others I've talked to is after everyone's first couple games, is that it seems a lot deeper than it is. Everyone feels like there's a deeper level of strategy to it they just haven't grasped yet, but are sure it's there, they just need to play a few more games. But no one ever seems to get there, it just keeps feeling like there's more to the game they just can't quite reach. YMMV, but I think this game does an incredible job of making it seem like there's more depth to it than there actually is. As such, I don't think you'd have the same replay value from it.

I've only played Adreneline a couple times, so I'm not sure how it holds up under repeated plays. I'd say it was good, but nothing that really made it stand out. I did like how quickly the game flowed. Turns came again surprisingly fast, even in a 5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very different games. All I can say is that I had both on my wishlist, but have put off Photosynthesis after reading how the game can feel slow toward the end and how 2 player can lack tension. I also have quite a few strategic abstract games.

I did buy Adrenaline this past week when Miniature Market had on sale. It seemed like a unique experience and lots of reviewers said it effectively mimicked a first person shooter but with some euro sensibilities. With a bunch of teens and video-gamers in my house, it seemed a natural fit for a unique, fast-paced game that will get to the table. Unfortunately, I have not played it yet.

Not very helpful. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, looking at your collection, I think that Photosynthesis might be the better choice in terms something thematically different from other things you have. Mechanically, I feel like they are both pretty unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MM had a sale? What was the price if you don't mind me asking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winter Warm Up sale last week. I bought it on 1/16 for $35.00
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reconsidering Fallout until they get an expansion to address some issues

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I’ve played both, and I was at first apprehensive about Adrenaline. Despite the rave reviews when I saw how it played I still wasn’t sold. But something kept me interested because I eventually bought it. It was one of the best gaming purchases I made last year, and quickly jumped into my top 5 of the year, and into my top 10 of all time.

Photosynthesis was played recently, and I liked it! It’s a very good game, but there was nothing there to make me rush back. I absolutely enjoyed it and would very happily play it again, but my point is that whilst Photosynthesis is very unique, beautiful and strategic, Adrenaline hooked me more.

Adrenaline is a perfect blend of Euro gameplay and Ameritrash theme. It’s a good way to hook people on Euros, I think, because of how it plays. Everything is clear and simple, and no rules are left ambiguous. I can’t recommend it enough.

All that aside, though, go with what YOU feel you like more. Both are good choices, but for me Adrenaline is a fantastic gaming experience whilst Photosynthesis is an interesting one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.