Hide
7 Posts

Five Tribes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Merchandise Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Missouri
msg tools
Can someone please explain to a complete noob how the merchandise cards work in this game? I am going to play my first game with the wife soon and I want it to go smoothly.I have read through the rules a couple of times. Everything else is pretty clear, but the merchandise cards, not so much. I don't understand what constitutes a suit, how to score them, or generally how to use them in the game. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to collect as many different goods as possible. The scoring of each set of different cards can be found on the player aids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's basically a hidden way to accrue points. Certain parts of the board state are public knowledge, like how many Viziers you have acquired and how many Djinns you have. By buying items at the bazaar you are building a hidden source of points. The more different items you have, the higher your point total becomes.

It's one of many routes to scoring points that this game offers.

One subtle difference is that at any point during the game you can cash in your merchandise "sets" for coins if you run low on funds for bidding. You are not obligated to do so, but it's an option.

Finally, there is an indicator on each merchandise card that shows you how rare they are. If you see the number of dots on the bottom of the card, that tells you how many of that card there are. So if you are trying to get that 7th, 8th, or 9th card to extend your set, it becomes a priority to pick up the more rare cards when they are available. There are plenty of fish, but not much gold...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get coins for unique sets of merch cards. If you have goods A, B, C, D, and E, you get however many coins corresponds to 5 on your player aid. You can cash this in during the game or wait til the end game scoring.

You also get credit for each set you have. So if you have 2 A cards, 2 B cards, and 1 C, D, and E, you have one set of 5 unique cards, and 1 set of 2 unique cards. You'll score points for a set of 5 and a set of 2 at game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Missouri
msg tools
Thank you all. I think I get it now. I'll play a couple of solo practice games before I play with the wife, just to make sure I have all the rules straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whiskyjumper wrote:
Thank you all. I think I get it now. I'll play a couple of solo practice games before I play with the wife, just to make sure I have all the rules straight.

Think of this way as a shortcut: "Something I already have is not good, something I don't yet have is good. I'm incentivized to do the market action if there's an attainable good that I don't yet have. The benefit of that next unique good grows bigger each time I get another one."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
Something I already have is not good, something I don't yet have is good.

... but if I can pick up one of the limited cards easily, I will do so, even if I already have one. It might not add many points to my hand, but it could prevent a huge point jump for an opponent. I especially enjoy this when it's a blind draw rather than a public acquisition! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.