Agricola, Master of Britain» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3x Legionary Battle Units as any other, Question? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about violation of this rule after first play.

I know that you can not voluntarily violate this rule, but; in the case where it involuntarily happens due to battle, what happens if after the battle you can't reorganize to bring the legion into compliance immediately (No other Legions in or adjacent to the undermanned unit). I am assuming that you would have to make bringing that Legion into compliance a priority over anything else when choosing actions is this correct?

Also, can the undermanned Legion take any actions to get it into position to come into compliance or are they prohibited from performing any actions until the situation is corrected?

Thanks, really great solo experience so far, and I can only imagine it gets better with more plays!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit that this isn't really specified in the rules, and there's no penalty prescribed for violation of the rule. (Note the absence of this fiddly rule in the Charlemagne game!) You can still take actions with the Legion, it's just that as soon as the opportunity presents itself, you should make everything right again.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was quick. Thanks!

Getting ready for my second game. Lost badly due to an ambush in first game. Really like this game. Also, I ordered Charlemagne at the same time.
Decided to start with Agricola which seems easier to learn. Rules really are well written this was the only thing that confused me so far.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys solo games. Components are excellent. If the thicker boards ever become available it will be an automatic purchase for me. Keep up the great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H, Gua
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have some followup questions:

1) May I promote a Legionary Battle Unit if after doing so the 3X composition rule is violated?

2) Does a Legion which has at least 3 Legionary Battle Units of a single type and no other Legionary Battle Units violate the 3X composition rule? For example, does a Legion comprised solely of 3 one-aquila LBUs violate the rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Promoting a Legionary Battle Unit would not violate the three-times rule - it's not going to increase the number of units in the Legion.

If you have three Legionary Battle Units - let's say it's two 1-aquila units and one 3-aquila unit - and you promote one of them - let's say one of the 1-aquila units gets promoted to a 2-aquila unit - you still have three Legionary Battle Units - one 1-aquila, one 2-aquila, and one 3-aquila.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H, Gua
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
Promoting a Legionary Battle Unit would not violate the three-times rule - it's not going to increase the number of units in the Legion.

If you have three Legionary Battle Units - let's say it's two 1-aquila units and one 3-aquila unit - and you promote one of them - let's say one of the 1-aquila units gets promoted to a 2-aquila unit - you still have three Legionary Battle Units - one 1-aquila, one 2-aquila, and one 3-aquila.

I should have given a different example. Suppose I have two 3-aquila and one 2-aquila, and I want to promote the 2-aquila, which would leave me with three 3-aquila units and no others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not following, sorry - you're still going to have the same number of units in each legion, and so long as one of those legions doesn't have three times as many units as the other two, there's no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H, Gua
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
I'm still not following, sorry - you're still going to have the same number of units in each legion, and so long as one of those legions doesn't have three times as many units as the other two, there's no problem.

Ahhh, it's a *Legion* thing. The verbiage:

"No Legion may have three times as many LBUs as any other."

I parsed this as a statement about the distribution of LBUs *within a single Legion*. Looking at it again, I get it, and I see that I had added "LBUs of a given type" in my mind. Tricky thing, mind...

Ok. I'm clear on this now. Thank you for your reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.