16 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd printing - special envelope rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wil Sullivan
msg tools
Hi all,

I’ve got the first printing and after lots of fun am ready for the end.
I read a post the other day by a 2nd print owner who refered to an envelope
You open when you feel you deserve it. I have that feeling but don’t know what envelope (if any) to open. I’ve got a,b and x. I understand specific conditions for opening each, of the 3 I guess it’s x, but I’m not sure. So what do I do?

Maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick...

Can anyone help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to know where the envelope is, read the spoiler:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It is hidden under the game insert.

Otherwise, you'll just have to wait and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dharmashalin wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve got the first printing and after lots of fun am ready for the end.
I read a post the other day by a 2nd print owner who refered to an envelope
You open when you feel you deserve it. I have that feeling but don’t know what envelope (if any) to open. I’ve got a,b and x. I understand specific conditions for opening each, of the 3 I guess it’s x, but I’m not sure. So what do I do?

Maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick...

Can anyone help?

First off, brace yourself, 'SPOILER!' people will be incoming.

That said:
It's a 4th envelope, at the very bottom of the box, underneath the packaging.

And, it contains:
If I remember right, a side quest. Harrows Hive

EDIT: Had the actual spoiler for what it contained wrong, updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sirron Young
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea...someone did the same thing and posted on instagram and I didn't even know there was such a thing. But I'm still wrestling with when to open it. What about you guys? Needless to say I'm tempted in clicking the reveal link to what it contains but have been slapping myself to stop before I do....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
I opened it right away, looked inside, but then I decided I did not deserve it and forgot about it.

I went back to it after 30~ something scenarios, when I felt I deserved it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat
I decided to do a full foamcore insert, when I removed the insert I didn't even look in the box
my wife found it and I was super excited, felt very cool. But now, I'm very curious if I did what I did deserves letting me open this. Maybe I deserve it for creating the foamcore insert? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theseventensplit wrote:
I'm in the same boat
I decided to do a full foamcore insert, when I removed the insert I didn't even look in the box
my wife found it and I was super excited, felt very cool. But now, I'm very curious if I did what I did deserves letting me open this. Maybe I deserve it for creating the foamcore insert? laugh

Sounds like as good a reason as any. We opened ours after losing our first attempt at Black Barrow. An hour of setup, then 3 hours of game play, to lose with only about 4 combined bad guy hit points left? Meaning we'd get to do it again? Earned it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyric Connell

Ukiah
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wasn't the Arcane Library, Should be the Harrower's Hive. #76.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We decided to open it when we retired our first character. Hoping that will be tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan C
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm confused why people are saying that its mere existence is a spoiler. It was right there all in the same mix of stuff in the box. Of course, I didn't open it, even though I felt like I deserved it after punching everything out. I figured I'll keep that for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eborgann wrote:
Wasn't the Arcane Library, Should be the Harrower's Hive. #76.

Whoops, thanks, updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saneless wrote:
I'm confused why people are saying that its mere existence is a spoiler. It was right there all in the same mix of stuff in the box. Of course, I didn't open it, even though I felt like I deserved it after punching everything out. I figured I'll keep that for later.

Because everything is a spoiler in this game for some people.

You have to shuffle? I didn't know that! Spoiler tag it!

The stickers create a legacy aspect? SPOILERS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Saneless wrote:

Because it is hidden underneath the insert. It is not in the the same mix as everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Saneless wrote:

Because everything is a spoiler in this game for some people.

You have to shuffle? I didn't know that! Spoiler tag it!

The stickers create a legacy aspect? SPOILERS!

That beat my spoiler sarcasm response so I will just quote yours. I don't get how knowing that class Curly Q is Ninja is a spoiler. Nope, must reference it as Curly Q in every post. Seriously, if the mindthief was a locked character and you referenced Mindthief instead of brain symbol character, would it really make a difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saneless wrote:

Cephalofair wrote:
So I know we're all adults here, and we've all been hanging out on internet forums for as long as we can remember, but I just wanted to emphasize that there are a great many things in this game that I want players to discover and experience for themselves, rather than reading about it here first, so please think before you post, and make sure to give proper spoiler warnings for anything you write, ideally hiding anything spoiler-related in spoiler tags. There's a little "SP" button in the dashboard for that, two spots over from the "Insert Geek Link" drop-down menu.

So what exactly is spoiler-related?

1. Any character class other than the six starting classes. This gets a little tricky since even naming the class is a spoiler, but all classes have an icon you can use to reference them, or you can reference them by their numerical order they are found in the box (going from right to left) or the order listed in the FAQ thread (for instance, Brute would be class 1, Tinkerer class 2, Spellweaver class 3, etc.).

2. The contents of all the smaller envelopes, especially envelope X and everything that entails. Seriously, let people discover this on their own. I would strongly prefer you not discuss clues related to envelope X at all in the forums. If someone really wants help, talk through GeekMail.

3. Items and item abilities past what is initially made available in the game. Every item has a number on the back of the card. Reference them using that.

4. Events and event outcomes. If you have a question, events also have a number on the bottom center of their front side to reference them by.

5. Any plot points or story elements found in the scenario book or town records. Please reference all scenarios by their number.

Lastly, there is a FAQ forum here, perfectly safe from spoilers using a liberal dose of spoiler tags. If you have a question about something specific, please look at that first to make sure the answer is not already available before starting a new thread.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People have a right to go on these forums without accidentally discovering information that was designed to be discovered during play, or on one's own.

I launched a thread a last month suggesting this and I was criticized by more people than I had supporting the position.

The only true way to avoid spoilers is to avoid these forums altogether, that cannot be denied. But it wouldn't hurt if posters would be a little more thoughtful toward others by using spoiler tags on things that might be considered spoilers to others.

If someone mentioned the Mindthief by name rather than by the brain symbol, would that spoil anything for me ... no. However, had I discovered the
existence of the hidden envelope from reading a careless post mentioning it, particularly in the subject line of the post

... I would have been upset.

When in doubt, use a spoiler tag, it is not hard. And, as Morthai quoted ... that is what Isaac Childres, the designer, wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.