BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Board game for Funko Pop Figurines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien F
France
flag msg tools
Hello everyone ! Waving you from France

I thought once there is no game for playing with our famous favorite Pop' figurines, so I made one !

The name isn't definitive, it's a sort of Hexapop Game. Not much originality Hexagone Pop & Game .. I will find a better one, later.

Goal is to fight and get most of points. I worked a little on a 3v3 team version, but I need to finish my 6th : Bomberman.

How to play : 1 turn is 3 rounds.
You have to plan you 3 next round actions with hidden cards, each action is customized with 2 direction cards
Once every one planned, we resolve the 1rst round actions, then 2nd then 3rd.

Actions are : protection, move, attack, regeneration. Resolved in this order, so someone can move away before your attack.

At the moment, there are 5 playable champion : Donatello (TMNT), Thor with his hammer, Mario Bros, Harry Potter, and the last came Billy (Saw).
The champions list is expandable to infinity, since they is like 1600+ pop, and you can use any other figurine you have.
I just have to pick up a new champion, find 4 or 5 special actions, adjusting power print, craft and it's ready !

Since I have no Pop, I crafted 'Cubees' from paper.

Here are some pics :

Red bar with sliding square is life points (from 0 to 200), yellow is energy. The 3x "!??" is the planning board for the 3 rounds. The game board is a little less than A3x2 pages, and it's enought for holding pop figurine.

On the champ's action page, you see the 4 special moves, icon on top left is type (move, protection ..) and the icon on bottom right is energy cost. The page says about damage, area of effect, special effects ...

We already playing some games and it's fun !

I will give more details later

Julien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True-Neutral
United States
Wellford
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering when a game like this would appear. Hope Funko definitely notices this, but a few things though:

1.I would severely limit the number of champions to those that can fight, while giving a list of support actions to the rest(looking at my collection McCree and Deadpool can fight. Slimer and Hatsune Miku, well..).

2.Have a 6" figure count as multiple figures.

3.Make any limited edition figure unique from their retail counterpart(ex. Chimichanga Deadpool can be support while Crystal Miku can be a champion. American McCree and Crystal Slimer have different abilities but same roles).

Hope this helps, and I hope to learn more about this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Julianstouch wrote:

Just curious... If you have none, why on Earth you decided to design a game to use them?

Personally, I will never understand the popularity of these ugly dolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, people want their Pops to do something?

I thought they only existed to show the world that, sure, you are a nerd, but you’re a trendy nerd.

That said, I’m intrigued about the mash-up of Pops I own. X-Files and Supernatural team up to take down Godzilla surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Julianstouch wrote:

Just curious... If you have none, why on Earth you decided to design a game to use them?

I always wondered the same thing. Let's take these cool IP's and use the characters to make dolls....that all look the same...and ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Julianstouch wrote:

Presumably because other people have them and like them. There is an audience out there, he wants to cater to it.

Just because a thing seems stupid to you, doesn't stop some else from going crazy over it.

FWIW, I think they are silly, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll the voice of opposition in the above trend-- I quite like them. They are simplistic representations of things that I enjoy. I think they're popular for the same that Caricatures as an art style are popular-- They oversimplify by stressing the most iconic parts of a character. Some of them in my opinion do not look good, but sometimes I think they look great. Take Sauron and Smaug for example. Sauron's is great! A giant head with some cute eyes and some badass armor. Smaug's looks terrible imo.

Humanoids tend to look a lot better imo than any beasties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Presumably because other people have them and like them. There is an audience out there, he wants to cater to it.

Aspiring game designers usually start with something they like, whether it's a theme, a mechanic or even some cool components. But, sure, there are those who have the delusion of selling a game to Hasbro or some such and make big money.

Quote:
Just because a thing seems stupid to you, doesn't stop some else from going crazy over it.

I never said it seemed stupid.

... although I think it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien F
France
flag msg tools
GSReis wrote:

Your question is legit.
I didn't planned to start a pros&cons fight about those figurines.
But the popularity is a fact.

Why it is .. it's a capitalistic answer. People like to collect stuff, it's a world of demonstration and appearance.
So for $10, you can achieve every goals of what the society is leading us to : cheap, uniform & numbered collection, showing what you like, abondance of useless, etc. My opinion.

The story is : I went to a dev' fest on november 2017, the main theme was 'Super Heroes'. Every stand has a little game, where you might win a prize at the end of the 2 days. (Dev is developer)
One of them made a board with some walls drawn on it, and Marvel's Pop figurines. The challenge was to write down a code procedure to reach other pop, without crossing walls or villains.
Man, I am a gamer, so came up the idea : every one earn a pop, which is useless standing around, why not making a game so you can play with ?

In few seconds, I grabbed all games I ever played, and built up a rules. I started write down rules and gimped stuff a week after. True story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien F
France
flag msg tools
First I would stay it's a v1 game. Its evolution is close to infinity. I already planned lots of stuff about it, keeping it simple to complex at your choice.

Hangane wrote:
I was wondering when a game like this would appear. Hope Funko definitely notices this, but a few things though:

1.I would severely limit the number of champions to those that can fight, while giving a list of support actions to the rest(looking at my collection McCree and Deadpool can fight. Slimer and Hatsune Miku, well..).

The number of players is 2-6. I might add a 8 players version, but not more.
That said, the number of available playing champions is limited by the time to build up their specifications.
You can take a Gormiti figurine or any one you like, until its size fits the boardgame.
The goal is to play with your favorite characters.

Hangane wrote:
2.Have a 6" figure count as multiple figures.

Planned. I own the World of Warcraft JCC raid decks, like Onyxia. Playing 4 co-op VS 1 big boss is huge of fun.
My game can allow playing that. I was suggested by a mate to make BDZ Dragon 'Shenron' Pop as first boss. The mechanic works. And the pop is cool !

Hangane wrote:
3.Make any limited edition figure unique from their retail counterpart(ex. Chimichanga Deadpool can be support while Crystal Miku can be a champion. American McCree and Crystal Slimer have different abilities but same roles).

It would be time eating to design a champ in different ways instead of designing a new one.
For the moment the game is a rumble. The action are : protection, move, attack, regen energy.
I tested mechanics and balancing action at first. Now I am adding 2 new champs with new gameplay : Billy from Saw, and Bomberman
Later, I will add 2 actions : buff/unbuff and manipulation.
Buff/unbuff can be : slow, energy cost reduction, dmg increase ... anything you can think about
Manipulation : craft a tower/trap/walls, grab a flag, activate some switch ...

Hangane wrote:
Hope this helps, and I hope to learn more about this!

Thanks !
Here is the other things I will do :
- Finalize team fight rules (3v3)
- Boss mode & Capture the flag mode
- Add champions, already selected those one : Bart Simpson, Bibendum Chamallow, HellBoy, AstroBoy, Robocop, Link, Vegeta, Kung Fury, Ken Master (Street Fighter), Grand Schtroumpf, Pikatchu, Elsa (Reine des neiges), Naruto, Indinia Jones, Jill Valentine.
Only if I can get them some funny gameplay mechanics. Easier champ to adapt would be League of Legends champs or Heroes of the Storm, since their actions are already existing. I don't know about Overwatch's ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien F
France
flag msg tools
I google trad'ed my rules file and reworked it a little, so I hope you will understand.

Rules:

Each player has:
a figurine of his champion
200 energy points and 200 points of life. 2 strips, yellow and red are used to indicate these values.
5 cards standard actions "!" blocking, moving 1 space, move 2 spaces, attack and recharge.
Actions cards that are specific, usually 4."!"
A sheet detailing these specific actions
6 sets of 7 cards directions"?": A card 'towards 0' card called 'empty' box represents the current champion, and 6 directions hexagons.
A schedule board, with 3 cards slot lines. Each line begins with a location for an action card "!" and 2 direction card slots"?"

A player receives the "priority badge" before the first round.

Goal:
The champions must fight until only one remains alive only or for a number of turn, by accumulating the most points.

Procedure:
1 turn = 3 rounds.
At the beginning of each turn, each player is planning his actions for the next 3 rounds, placing 1 action card and 2 directions card on each line of the schedule board, face down.
When plans are made, all players turn their cards first line, the first round. When all players have resolved their action, we pass the 2nd and the 3rd round.
At the end of the round, all champions earn +30 energy.
A new round starts.
The priority badge goes to the next player to the left of the current owner.

Directions:
Directions are fixed for all the champions, and indicated in center of game board.
0 direction is used second direction card as vacuum, or to target himself, or to stay on site. This prevents differentiate between actions requiring one direction card and those requiring two cards at the planning stage.
- 'face' is the facing box of the champion, mainly the last direction used
- 'back' the box opposite to the case 'face'
- 'front' means the 3 boxes in front of the champion in an arc.
- ‘rear’ the 3 other boxes.
- 'lateral' 4 boxes aside, so all except front and back.
- 'adjacent' 6 squares around.

Order of actions:
When resolving the actions of each round, the category order to respect is always this:
- Blocking : card with a "shield" icon
- Improvement: not available in this version
- Moving : card with a "blue arrow" icon
- Handling is not available in this version
- Attack : card with a "sword" icon
- Recharge : card with a "lightning" icon

All players who have planned a blocking, standard or specific, are doing their action.
Then all those who planned movements, then attacks and finally recharges.

Every action has a cost, usually energy, which must be paid by taking the amount on the corresponding slide (yellow). If the player can not pay the cost, the action is canceled.

Priority badge comes in conflict resolutions of actions of the same category : starting with the one with the badge and the player to his left, and so on.
Ex: If Player 1 has the badge, and the players 2 and 4 planned to move on the same square, the player 2 will move on this box, and movement of the player 4 will be prevented on this box.

action "canceled": the action does not take place. The energy cost is not spent
action "prevented": the action takes place but not the intended effect. The energy cost is spent

Ex: a canceled move is not realized, while a prevented move try to go on a space occupied then return to the starting space.

For priority actions, they are resolved at the same time as those in their category, but they are made before the ‘non-priority' (all actions by default). If there is conflict resolution between several priority actions, they are resolved in order of priority badge.

Generally speaking, the order of priority badge is still applied in cases of conflict.

Details of standard actions:

- Blocking: 10 energy cost
Damage taken divided by 2, rounded down. An action which inflict 30 damage, will only do 10 damage to a blocking champion. For a back attack, the damage is not reduced.
Card 1: direction, Card 2: empty

- Move: cost 20 energy for 1 box, or 50 energy to 2 boxes.
If the box is occupied, movement is prevented in this box, it will still trigger the effects on this box.
In the case of a moving of more boxes, an occupied space does not stop the move. We then apply the following movements from the last valid champion position.
Ex: a champion is scheduled to move in 2 and then 3. If the box 2 is busy, this movement is prevented and the champion remains on site. The champion then moves in 3.
Card 1: direction, Card 2: empty for the action move 1 bo
Card 1: direction, Card 2: direction for the action 2 boxes

- Standard Attack: cost 30 energy.
20 damage face box. If no champion is present in the direction, the player can choose from when solving a target in front.
Card 1: direction, Card 2: empty

- Recharge : 0 energy cost.
Restores 100 energy.
If damage is caused on the champion during the round, only makes 50 energy.
If the champion undergoes a forced displacement: 0 energy
If action moves a champion, but this movement is prevented, the effect of forced displacement still occurs and Champion does not recover any energy point.
Ex: the champion who refill was pushed to a square occupied and did not change box. He gets no points.
It is never possible to have more than 200 energy
Card 1: empty, Card 2: empty

Scoring:
During the game, count points :
Combat mode free for all :
10 points of life removed to a champion = 10 points.
10 points of life blocked = 10 points
Bring down a champion to 0 points (or less) = 50 points
Combat mode team fight :
10 points of life removed an opposite champion = 10 points
10 points of life blocked = 10 points
Bring down a champion to 0 points (or less) = 50 points

At the end of the game, the other points are added:
Combat mode free for all :
170 to 200 remaining life points = 0 points
130 to 160 remaining life points = 10 points
90 and 120 remaining life points = 20 points
from 50 to 80 remaining life points = 30 points
from 10 to 40 remaining life points = 50 points
No point of life remaining, champion removed = 0 points

Combat mode team fight :
In progress
Add all points from the same team players to get the total.

With this calculation free for all mode, it prompts to enter the fray to inflict and suffer maximum damage by staying alive. A low life point champion is a real target
In team mode, this incentive to be careful not to inflict damage to his team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BB
Norway
Aalesund
More og Romsdal
flag msg tools
all friends and aquintances will be assimilated (now that they’re stuck at home with their kids *g*)
badge
get in loser we’re going spelunking
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been pondering using some of my Funko mystery minis. They seem the perfect size

This looks like a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien F
France
flag msg tools

Billy is fully playable !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien F
France
flag msg tools
My next Champ is Bomberman.

Its mechanic is different, matching its video game.
He plants bomb with timers, and each round bombs' timer reduce by 1.
At 0 they explode and do damage.
Actions are : plant bomb (x2 this card), throw a bomb, kick (bomb or champ) and "run&plant" 3 square dropping a bomb on the 2nd move.

This champ has 6 bombs made with 2 circular paper sheet, one is larger with numbers from 1 to 6, the other small have a cutted square to let visible the number and a bomber.
I used scotch tape one each face of the 2 sheets, then made a hole in middle, to passe a paperclip for holding the both side and allowing turning them.

Extract from gimp

Result on the left side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
joetaco wrote:

I make mine have torrid love affairs that end in tragedy. Very Shakespearean stuff. The time that Pickle Rick and Harley Quinn got together and were separated by a Lego motorcycle who joined the love triangle had me sobbing for weeks. Some day Harley will find her true love...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien F
France
flag msg tools
IMCarnochan wrote:
joetaco wrote:

I make mine have torrid love affairs that end in tragedy. Very Shakespearean stuff. The time that Pickle Rick and Harley Quinn got together and were separated by a Lego motorcycle who joined the love triangle had me sobbing for weeks. Some day Harley will find her true love...

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shelton
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
joetaco wrote:

I'm sensing a stop motion movie in the making

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien F
France
flag msg tools
BomberMan is playable !

I also upgraded my shoes box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.