Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious because I have a package from MM that supposedly arrived on 1/18 (last Thursday) and has been listed as "In transit to USPS" since then and a CSI package that arrived there yesterday (Monday 1/22) with the same thing.

The USPS location they are supposed to be sent to is 30 minutes away from the FedEx location, so it can't take that long in terms of actual transit time.

Does Fed Ex only transfer packages certain days of the week, or are they likely lost to the ether?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Typical transfer time between FedEx and USPS for Smartpost packages?
For me, it is usually only a day or two for the transfer and I usually receive it the same day it arrives at the post office.

As luck would have it, I am receiving a package from MM today.

Here is end of the transit info for a package that MM delivered to FedEx on 1/18/2018.

1/22/2018
7:43 pm Arrived at FedEx Location - Belleville, MI <-About an hour from my post office.

1/23/2018
5:06 am: Departed FedEx location - Belleville
8:00 am: At US Postal Service Facility - Troy, MI
9:17 am: Out for Delivery

So I would think lost to the ether is a real possiblity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyric036 wrote:
For me, it is usually only a day or two for the transfer and I usually receive it the same day it arrives at the post office.

As luck would have it, I am receiving a package from MM today.

Here is end of the transit info for a package that MM delivered to FedEx on 1/18/2018.

1/22/2018
7:43 pm Arrived at FedEx Location - Belleville, MI <-About an hour from my post office.

1/23/2018
5:06 am: Departed FedEx location - Belleville
8:00 am: At US Postal Service Facility - Troy, MI
9:17 am: Out for Delivery

So I would think lost to the ether is a real possiblity.

Interesting. That's the same one mine went to. I'm in Ohio so it goes to the Allen Park sorting station for transfer down here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the inner workings of this, but my experience has typically been 5 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that you were in Ohio. Belleville is roughly between the two of us.

Is Allen Park a FedEx facility or a USPS facility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyric036 wrote:
I saw that you were in Ohio. Belleville is roughly between the two of us.

Is Allen Park a FedEx facility or a USPS facility?

Allen Park is the USPS facility my mail tends to get routed thru before coming to my more local Post Office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SmartPost is the worst.

It can be one day, or it could be 5-7. You never know, and tracking is useless. It's an absolutely horrible shipping method, and you just have to decide for yourself when you've reached your limit and need to file a claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Root
United States
Lakemoor
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree with Mark, my experience has been that it takes about 5 days. Even when the two distribution centers are in the same town.

I had a USPS person tell me that the priority on these things is, "whenever a person at that company feels like getting around to it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Croft
United States
Smithfield
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I order smartport from MM, delivery date is always 2 days after it has shipped. The usps transfer takes no time. I wouldn't count the weekend as they're nonbusiness days, but that's still 2 full days (Friday & Monday). Give them a bit of time, but I would contact someone in another day or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SmartPost feels like it has only these two statuses:

1.) A label has been printed but we're not sure if it is in transit yet.
2.) Out for Delivery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun stuff.

And it looks like if you order more than $100 at CSI, you're forced to use it unless you can pick it up.

This is the first time I remember having this happen, so a little irritated.

I did email MM since it's been a few days to see fi they could help at all, see what they say I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
And it looks like if you order more than $100 at CSI, you're forced to use it unless you can pick it up.

It's been a little while since my last CSI order, but I remember having a choice of free Smartpost shipping or highly discounted FedEx shipping. According to my order history, I paid $3.79 for FedEx ground. Money well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

It's been a little while since my last CSI order, but I remember having a choice of free Smartpost shipping or highly discounted FedEx shipping. According to my order history, I paid $3.79 for FedEx ground. Money well spent.

Apparently if you list a PO Box first, the Smartpost is the only option, regardless if you have a physical address. If you provide just the physical address, it does look like you get discounted rates on normal shipping. I will have to remember that going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure CSI's free shipping method just depends on weight. I just ordered a larger / heavier package and it's shipping fedex ground (for free), but historically I've had many free orders come smartpost.

That said, smart post is usually only an extra day for me. I've never had an issue with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Briggs

LYNNWOOD
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think what i am reading between the lines is everyone wants free shipping, but would prefer next day service.
We offer free shipping at $35, almost every time smartpost is the least expensive means for shipping and retaining the low shipping threshold. Profitability, a buck or 2 which is reinvested.
I can only imagine the cost involved for companies who pay wages and understand well why smartpost is the first choice for free shipping. When customers have a choice, almost everytime they go with the smartpost option themselves, everyone wants to save money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McCleary
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
WARNING: Caustic
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with SmartPost has been really terrible and I blame it on USPS in my area. I've had it take over a week, and sometimes as little as a two days. For retailers I frequent that use SmartPost (e.g. CSI), I've communicated with them about not utilizing it on my orders, and they've generally honored that request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Zowin
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be able to off a perspective on this topic. First, the object is not always to move the package the fastest to its destination. Fedex has several tiers of service which increase in value as the service reliability increases. ie (Smartpost, Ground, Express).

Smartpost is cheaper because it uses the post office for end point delivery and those packages are moved across the country by truck. A delay at any point in the system may be due to volume. Full trailers are more profitable than partial trailers, especially at the low margins of discount shipping. There is typically no guarantee of delivery date. Also, the post office may prioritize the sorting and delivery of their own product above volume from Smartpost and Surepost which might cause a minor delay of a day or so.

Ground also doesn't guarantee delivery dates, but it will move with more frequency across the country and, I'm guessing, those trailers will move with a higher priority over the Smartpost trailers. Also, Ground seems to have better investment in tracking technology and staffing.

Express costs the most because it guarantees delivery dates and times. Also, a lot of the packages are flown versus trucked which is considerably more expensive. Tracking is generally pretty accurate too.
Packages may arrive at a location early, but generally will not go out for delivery early as it defeats the purpose of having a tiered service structure.

Why might two packages get delivered at different intervals with the same service? There are several factors. 1: If it takes two days to fill a trailer and your packages is shipped on a day where it arrives on the second day it will cut a day off its transportation time. 2: If there is a predicted weather event volume may be pushed through to avoid a bigger backlog that happens when big winter storms hit. 3: Time of year plays a roll. During December shipping volumes are so high it is prudent to move all packages as fast as possible through the system to avoid delays and stay ahead of spike in volume.

The bottom line is that, unless you are Amazon with a crazy amount of volume, Smartpost (Fedex) or Surepost (UPS) are the cheapest shipping options, but also the slowest. If you want your package sooner, pay for shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't complaining about the time it was taking, just was curious because they both stopped moving at the same location 4 days apart.

The CSI package arrived yesterday but the MM package is still stuck despite being shipped first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.