Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Duda
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing solo, I found I kept using the same cards and ignoring others. This simple variant reversed my preferences.

Set up for standard solo with the following additions:
Robot player starts at zero TR.
After you have finished all your actions for the generation, the Robot player performs four terraforming actions: increasing heat, placing an ocean, adding O2 by placing a forest.
The Robot player gets a TR for each action performed, and also scores map VPs at the end of the game.

Now that Security Fleet might be a better use of my titanium than some asteroids...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like to play two games back-to-back, but ignoring the used/seen cards for the second game. That mostly alleviates the problem of shuffling, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Espie
msg tools
mb
Ditto.

Helps being able to completely forget what was drawn in the first half so that I don't skew the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm really curious what purpose this serves? Are you still trying to terraform in 14 generations, or just beat the Robot? How do you decide where the Robot places oceans and greeneries? What is the 4th terraforming action? Venus?

If you let the Robot do all the terraforming and are playing more than 14 generations, the most the robot can score is 56 (assuming you aren't counting the 2 random starting cities as belonging to the Robot). If you are trying to beat the robot, beating 56 in 20(?) generations should be easy, and if you are still trying to terraform in 14 generations, then that is easy too because the Robot will do most of the work... So what is the goal or the challenge of this change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Duda
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:
I'm really curious what purpose this serves? Are you still trying to terraform in 14 generations, or just beat the Robot? How do you decide where the Robot places oceans and greeneries? What is the 4th terraforming action? Venus?

If you let the Robot do all the terraforming and are playing more than 14 generations, the most the robot can score is 56 (assuming you aren't counting the 2 random starting cities as belonging to the Robot). If you are trying to beat the robot, beating 56 in 20(?) generations should be easy, and if you are still trying to terraform in 14 generations, then that is easy too because the Robot will do most of the work... So what is the goal or the challenge of this change?

Thanks for asking as I missed a lot! The robot performs four actions increasing the three TRs (O2/H2O/Temp), placing tiles wherever you decide. The game ends when there are no more terraforming actions to do (14% / 9 H20 / +8*). So the robot gets 58 VP in 10 turns (including the 2 random start cities.) Your goal is to have more VPs than the robot without you terraforming. I also use the solo draft rules (pick one out of 4,3,2,1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl S.
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I'm doing solo, I figure each game uses about 1/4 of the deck.

here is my shuffle process:

1. I shuffle the used/discarded cards with themselves then split into three piles.

2. The deck of unused cards is split into thirds: top, middle, and bottom.

3. I shuffle the split up used/discarded cards into each of the unused piles.

4. I re-stack the pile middle(new bottom), top(new middle), bottom(new top).

This way I "rotate" the deck and I will still get cards from my previous game. It's not perfect but with such a large deck of sleeved cards its more manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZipDuda wrote:
CarcuS wrote:

Thanks for asking as I missed a lot! The robot performs four actions increasing the three TRs (O2/H2O/Temp), placing tiles wherever you decide. The game ends when there are no more terraforming actions to do (14% / 9 H20 / +8*). So the robot gets 58 VP in 10 turns (including the 2 random start cities.) Your goal is to have more VPs than the robot without you terraforming. I also use the solo draft rules (pick one out of 4,3,2,1).

So the player is not allowed to terraform and must score all of their points through cards?

After 10 generations there will still be 4 Oxygen steps to go, and 9(?) heat steps to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Duda
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:

So the player is not allowed to terraform and must score all of their points through cards?

After 10 generations there will still be 4 Oxygen steps to go, and 9(?) heat steps to go?

Game starts with O2 at 0%, no oceans, temp at -30.
After you have done your actions for first turn, robot does four actions. You decide robot just increases heat four times from -30 to -22. Robot gets 4 TRs.
After your second turn, you decide robot places three forests, increasing O2 to 3%, and place one ocean. Robot gets 4 TRs.
After each of your turns, robot continues to perform four actions of your choice from among the three terraforming actions available, and getting 4 TRs.
So 14 O2 + 9 oceans + 19 temp = 42 steps at 4 per turn is 10 turns.

And to tell you the truth, I'm not decided on whether or not you may perform terraform actions. Still playtesting and open for suggestions! Seeing other posts showing paths for completing everything in two turns gives me pause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.