Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay this is part looking for something local (hence the post in the wild wild west region), and part an open topic for discussion. Admins, feel free to move to somewhere more appropriate. That said...

Once up on a time, I used to be deep into computer games. When I was younger. Once I started developing a career that involved sitting in front of a computer screen, the idea of spending even more time in front of a screen (TV or otherwise) became less and less appealing.

Which of course is one of the things I adore about tabletop gaming these days. I absolutely ADORE being able to move actual physical chunky things (wood not plastic please) around on a real-world board. There's just something emotionaly satisfying about it, after being chained to a virtual-world cubicle all day.

But I digress. Lately I *am* getting back into gaming on a screen, primarily because of a frustrating lack of opponents for the games I really want to play. While friends get to pursue activities THEY love every single day (like watching Bonanza - I'm looking at you, Wayne), I'm lucky if I get to pursue MY favorite activity more than once A MONTH.

This sucks.

Hence, the delve back into digital gaming, on my Android tablet (apps) and on the web (BoardGameArena.com, SpielByWeb.com, BoardSpace.net) except for the rare moments when I encounter a CHATTY online player, for the most part, the social aspect is missing. My compromise is at least I'm playing the virtual versions of actual physical games, with MAYBE the remote possibility that I might meet someone who will want to play these things face-to-face.

So here's where the regional part comes in... what if we were to organize a way for LOCAL (or at least semi-local) players of ANDROID games, to not only set up a schedule for online play, but plan to meet locally to play the same games, say, in a place with public wifi, and conducive to conversation and socialization (in other words, Starbucks over a public library). Now I'm not talking about physical games in a business. That would involve having a negotiating skill set, working something out with business owners, and not overstaying our welcome. There are Meetup groups with leaders that excell at that skill (hats off to you Natasha).

What I'm talking about is gamers meeting face to face to play ONLINE games (or perhaps pass-and-play), on our tablets or phones or laptops.

I'll toss out a few of my favorites here for your consideration, in order of current frequency of play...

Cottage Garden
Bohnanza Duel
Terra Mystica
8 Minute Empire
Through The Ages
Steam
Neuroshima Hex
Lanterns
Race for the Galaxy
Ticket to Ride (Pennyslvania map preferred)
Labyrinth (don't judge me, the puzzle mode is awesome)

FYI my usual hangouts are usually Starbucks somewhere in the south bay (Torrance, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, etc)

Game on!
Klaus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
There is plenty of public in-person boardgaming going on all around you, with far more going on in private...what games are you wanting to play that you can't find opponents for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.