Subject: Maximum Glory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This question came up after our game this past Saturday. The glory track goes to 30. Nothing in the rules, the prologue rules or the boards here (that I can find) indicates if you can exceed 30 glory in a game. What do folks think? Is that theoretically possible? Or is the maximum 30? Thanks.

(Personally I think this is a mathematical unlikelihood. To get past 24 once the glory target stops there is a lot of work. In other games I’ve seen it once happen where someone went 4 over the target, so getting to more than 30 would take some fancy footwork.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
varianor wrote:
This question came up after our game this past Saturday. The glory track goes to 30. Nothing in the rules, the prologue rules or the boards here (that I can find) indicates if you can exceed 30 glory in a game. What do folks think? Is that theoretically possible? Or is the maximum 30? Thanks.

(Personally I think this is a mathematical unlikelihood. To get past 24 once the glory target stops there is a lot of work. In other games I’ve seen it once happen where someone went 4 over the target, so getting to more than 30 would take some fancy footwork.)

I don't think there is a maximum. Nothing stops you from buying a treasure that puts you over 24 and then using your turn to complete a milestone that pushes you past 30. There's no rule that says that if gaining glory would put you past 30, don't gain all the glory to which you are entitled.

You point out that the game is silent on the matter, so it is reasonable to use your experience with other games to determine the answer: Do most games with scoring tracks declare that your score can't exceed the limit of the track? Or do most games with scoring tracks provide the track for convenience, to avoid the hassle of tracking score with pencil and paper? In my experience, it's the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always played you could. And in the final few games, without spoiling anything, it is fairly common to exceed 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Montclair
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
We always played you could. And in the final few games, without spoiling anything, it is fairly common to exceed 30.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Willottica wrote:

Interesting. We have one player (who is currently in the lead) arguing the “against glory exceeding 30” position with discussion among the rest of us who are examining options including the “exceeding 30” one. We have not unlocked the last chest although I suspect that we will if we unlock The End Is The Beginning next game, which we all think triggers that. So those are interesting data points. Seafall is different with resources. There are a specific number of iron, wood, linen, and spice resources - no more - in play. So that could be extrapolated into the track is the track and you can’t go past it. There’s no rule or + symbol on the track indicating that glory can exceed 30 by the way. And many games incorporate such symbology. I can also see the other way around. It makes sense to me that with catchup mechanics in play that glory in a game could exceed 30 - given that folks have seen it happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggest a compromise: the player in the lead can observe a 30 Glory maximum, and any other player can exceed 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
varianor wrote:
Willottica wrote:

Interesting. We have one player (who is currently in the lead) arguing the “against glory exceeding 30” position with discussion among the rest of us who are examining options including the “exceeding 30” one. We have not unlocked the last chest although I suspect that we will if we unlock The End Is The Beginning next game, which we all think triggers that. So those are interesting data points. Seafall is different with resources. There are a specific number of iron, wood, linen, and spice resources - no more - in play. So that could be extrapolated into the track is the track and you can’t go past it. There’s no rule or + symbol on the track indicating that glory can exceed 30 by the way. And many games incorporate such symbology. I can also see the other way around. It makes sense to me that with catchup mechanics in play that glory in a game could exceed 30 - given that folks have seen it happen.

Note that the rules provide specific instructions for how to deal with running out of iron, wood, linen, and spice. The fact that they are silent with respect to the glory track suggests that there is not intended to be a glory cap. I agree that it would have been better for the rules to explicitly address the situation one way or other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.