4 Posts

The Scarlet Pimpernel» Forums » General

Subject: 2P? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
I can't imagine this playing well at the 2P count, or even possibly at 3P, based on the amount of player interaction needed for completing the missions. Can anyone tell me differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is tough to imagine. You do need to play it to fully understand the use of your coveted cubes and how they interact in many different ways depending on where they are placed.

I've played the game at several player counts. You have a diminishing number of cubes to use as the play count increases. This makes the game scale very well. I also find the 2 and 3 player games are actually very competitive and interesting.

The key at any player count is getting maximum use out of your cubes by getting them on the board and then back off when scoring victory points. If you get too many cubes stuck in unproductive planning, you will suffer for it.

Cubes on the board can gain you favors and use of buildings, but at the cost of scoring victory points and the risk of not having them available for the next round.

The fact that the favors shift hands often is important. You need to push those cubes through to victory points and then back out on the board again next round.

Disclaimer: I worked for EGG for almost 5 years, including the period of the acquisition and development of The Scarlet Pimpernel. I am now a freelance professional game consultant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Gryphon Games
msg tools
publisher
badge
www.Eagle-Gryphon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
With lower player counts, you gain access to more supply cubes at the start of the game. This allows you generate the needed resources to assist completing missions while also allowing you the flexibility to compete for majority of special favor tiles. You'll find that even at a higher player count, it is sometimes advantageous to end the round before mission assistance is complete. While assisting to provide resources to complete the mission earns you favor, it isn't the only way to assist a mission or the only way to earn favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bock
United States
Ingleside
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After recently testing the game for a review, I honestly found it scaled extremely well and wasn't lacking regardless of player count. It's a bit of a different game at two players vs six players but the concept is the same. Yes, there's less player interaction with two than six but it also allows you more chance to develop a strategy and not have stuff stolen from you so fast. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.