Trent Lanthier
Canada
flag msg tools
There was 3 borg on the table and they kept moving towards us eventually getting to the point we had no choice but form an alliance and defend the Argus cluster together, we started a trade agreement and from there we waited by time the cube came at us we had 12 ships between the two of us, and we rolled really well with our fleets and took the cube out on turn 3. (I got lucky with 6's)

Then the federation upped their weapon tech I'm not far behind... it seems once the Klingon get up their weapons up 2-3 points and their fleets of 10 ships are basically going to be farming Cubes for experience points because they always that first strike... sometimes you can blow a cube up before it has a chance to up it's shields by one.

Anyone else find that the Borg is a big scary monster that quickly becomes a nuisance to your fleets? The only annoying thing is how fast it destroys a planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davon Collins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Would this be more aesthetically pleasing if it were blue?
mbmbmbmb
Yah, once you have at least 12 or so ships, with the first upgrade to weapons, cubes singly are not much of a threat. The danger then is if the cubes get past your fleet or around your fleet - because if one ends up over a developed system, that system is gone (and the entire Borg's power is increased).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Lanthier
Canada
flag msg tools
I like the option where borg will attack at the start and end of a cube turn (So you can't rush a fleet to save a ship)

And that the command card agression will remove the First strike thing.

The key is definitely don't let the borg get multiple planets... I found killing the cube was easier than taking the planet over for some reason lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Lanthier
Canada
flag msg tools
Senatus1980 wrote:
Yah, once you have at least 12 or so ships, with the first upgrade to weapons, cubes singly are not much of a threat. The danger then is if the cubes get past your fleet or around your fleet - because if one ends up over a developed system, that system is gone (and the entire Borg's power is increased).

And maybe I don't understand properly I haven't looked at all the command cards but if you are holding a massive fleet or two above a developed world ... that is 3 hops away from the hub and it's the closest developped world ... the cubes will never get around you they will just funnel in and get killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davon Collins
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Would this be more aesthetically pleasing if it were blue?
mbmbmbmb
Yes, that's probably the case, but it would have to be a single direct line. Also, there would need to be no transwarp conduits around, since those are considered adjacent to the hub. In one game, there was a single direct path, but when a conduit was discovered, the Borg had potential paths to multiple systems. In that case, probably safer to park some fleets right next to the hub and destroy cubes as they appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That and if you are continually building up a defense in that system to block the Borg, you are likely doing little elsewhere and not progressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Walker

Niagara Falls
msg tools
We play with the 'It takes a fleet' rule which adds a lot. It's not so much that a fleet can't stop them but it ties up precious resources that can leave you at a disadvantage to other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
I've found in the two player game the player who has the Borg in his backyard relatively early can survive with help from his rival but will hit a development speed bump amassing and moving defenses as opposed to exploring/colonizing/building. This is especially true if your rival is a Klingon who can hunt down Cubes for culture bonuses and Borg tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.