Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Johnson
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this is going to sound crazy--and before you all tell me to go play a different game please hear me out.

I love betrayal. However, with my group we find some of the haunts too wacky - some unbalanced etc. To put it simply we give the game 5/5 for the first pre-haunt portion of the game--and we give the haunt portion a 2/5, so far with our experiences. In addition, with the haunt the game 'stops' people have to read a bunch of rules then you can commence.

My question is: Has anybody seen or experimented with an option, full co-op only mode?

Something along the lines of: the pre-haunt portion is 100% the same but before going into the house, the heroes pick from of list of pre made 'boss monster's to fight. Some examples:

1) Find the vampire coffin and kill the vampire

2) Find the unnamed horror (in a specific room) and kill it.

3)Collect the artifacts (go to 5 rooms) and kill the mini bosses in each room.

Essentially, yes it kills the haunt 'surprise' factor but I think my group may like this a little more. Has anyone seen such options with full stats for the bosses and rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion:

Purchase a Different game.

Arkham Horror?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically you want to play Betrayal, but you want to know ahead of time which haunt will trigger?

Why don't you just do that? I mean, pick which haunt will trigger before the game starts. Of course, you still have to deal with the fact that some haunts have essential hidden information that if revealed to the wrong side before the haunt begins unbalances the scenario.

Either that or design/write/playtest the kinds of scenarios you want to play.

Or yeah, find a different game, yeah that's always an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Semicharm
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Odd, I've heard other people say they hate the pre-haunt part. To each their own I suppose. Personally, I like both parts for different reasons, but some of the haunts are kinda wacky.

It sounds like you're looking to do a full co-op "mod" for betrayal. I'd say go for it! There's a number of non-traitor haunts already. I think some of the "monster" haunts could be converted to full co-op play too, as the traitor doesn't play a crucial role in the haunt anyway. Some of the others could have a "monster" stand in for the traitor.

If you don't care much for the haunts as written then read them all, get the data and stats you're looking for and setup your own system. Betrayal is somewhat open ended, lots of fun pieces and options to play around with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Brookland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dream_rpg wrote:
So basically you want to play Betrayal, but you want to know ahead of time which haunt will trigger?

Why don't you just do that? I mean, pick which haunt will trigger before the game starts. Of course, you still have to deal with the fact that some haunts have essential hidden information that if revealed to the wrong side before the haunt begins unbalances the scenario.

Either that or design/write/playtest the kinds of scenarios you want to play.

Or yeah, find a different game, yeah that's always an option.

You'd have to be careful which haunt you chose otherwise you could end up breaking it by not having acquired the omen card that would normally trigger the haunt with that omen card being necessary to defeat the haunt.

Also the main point of the OP was they didn't want a traitor not that they wanted to know which haunt they were going to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.