Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Foochaba
United States
flag msg tools
badge
What did you do Ray?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, does anyone, when using vassal over PBEM, also use the real game? I've yet to use Vassal, think it's a great tool, but am tempted to also keep track of the game by using the actual components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a lot of wasted effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sevigny
United States
Washington
D.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even just using Vassal solo, I find that having the actual game's map spread out can be helpful. I wouldn't bother putting counters out, that's too much work, but the view of the full map on a table is still one of my favorite parts of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Eagles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
That would be a lot of wasted effort.

Have to disagree. I've done this before, and while it is definitely more effort, nothing else can fully replace the tactile satisfaction of handling the game pieces and allowing instantaneous apprehension of the entire game map situation.

Don't get me wrong, I love VASSAL and have devoted much time to learning its intricacies and creating modules. All the same, my preference always leans towards the joys of the physical. Y'know, "Let's Get Physical" and all that.

Cheers,
S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rudy,

I use both, especially when the VASSAL screen is too small to accomodate a whole map. Commands & Colors is very easy to play on VASSAL as the whole board is on screen. In those cases, I don't set up the game. But bigger games, I find it difficult to play only seeing part map views on screen and therefore out comes the game itself.

If I am honest, I also enjoy using the counters and map anyway. Give em' an airing so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree that seeing a full-size map blows any computer screen away. But I'm WAY too lazy to duplicate the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only physical components I use when playing VASSAL are the play aids, charts, and the like. I really hate, and I mean loathe, having to click, zoom, and scroll within VASSAL to look up the results of a chart. It's just so clunky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I do, also. For the reasons already given. I like the tactical and visual appeal of a real game. And I really need to have a view of the whole board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
For all those who need to see the whole board: VASSAL does have a variable zoom feature!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
For all those who need to see the whole board: VASSAL does have a variable zoom feature!

A second computer screen also helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

dirubin wrote:

Well, yea, once it's scrunched down into microscopic measurements there's not much point any more. And making out what's on it is a real chore, barely worth the bother. yuk

In truth, it depends on what you're playing, of course.

wifwendell wrote:

A second computer screen also helps.

Or a very large one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Ludwig

Baden
Schweiz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did that, but I usually play several games at once, and lack space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
louiethetoad

Forest Lake
Minnesota
msg tools
mb
Curious about Vassal . Will I be able to use it whatever it is, to play a block game Napoleon Waterloo 1815 ed. 4. with 2 other players. Please point me to a link so I can understand what it does and how it works.\\
THANKS.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Vassal Home page:

http://www.vassalengine.org/

From the home page, where you will find the program to download, look for the Modules tab where all the available games are found under an alphabetical index.

If this is the Napoleon you're talking about then, yes you can

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Napoleon:_The_Waterloo_Campaign,_1815

The link isn't working directly but if you copy it into your address window it'll take you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Shepherd
msg tools
I've just tried Vassal (to play Carcassonne) and can't figure it out at all. I downloaded Vassal, and then downloaded the C module. When I try to use it, though, I get a module library with a "Vassal tour", then what looks like a promising login page, but then a plain grid with numbered square--10.9, 10.8, etc.--nothing that looks like a game. Do you know what to do to just play a game?

Thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I haven't played Carcasonne using Vassal, so I'm not familiar with it.
There is always a help file with each module. This will usually give you a pretty good idea. Check that out.
IF you're still having trouble, ask your question in the game's forum. I'm sure there's someone there using Vassal who could help you out.
Good luck with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:

It would be nice if Vassal didn't reset the zoom and make you adjust it all over again ever time you re-open the module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Shepherd
msg tools
Thank you, I'll try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having currently more than 5 games in progress on vassal, I lack the space to set up all those games.

That doesn't mean that I never use it though. Especially when I'm playing a game for the first time, it is nice to mark everything on the actual map as well. It sure helped me a lot when I was playing my first game of Empire of the sun. Some might find this strange but I also like to use vassal when setting up a game. I find a picture with all units in place a lot easier and faster that looking up hex xx.xx for every unit.

Haven't played the Carcassonne module yet but if you can't find it... Give me a little yell and I'll take a look at it. I know the first time I used vassal, I also had a rough time getting that module to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.