Hide
4 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Move and Cover rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Jones
msg tools
My apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to see it.

I'm readying for my first game and have watched multiple playthrough videos, sometimes multiple times.

I don't recall that anyone ever used two commands at once, as I would think you'd want to do if you had a 5 draw on commands. I'd think you'd tell a unit to MOVE and SEEK COVER. Can you only issue one command at a time? I think I'd want to tell my men to seek cover as they moved forward, especially if I had surplus commands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! I’m pretty sure you can't Daisy-chain commands like that.

One rationale is that a “command” is a somewhat abstract representation of time and efficiency, not just spoken utterances. Another is that “seeking cover” isn’t necessarily as simple as just looking for a tree to hide behind, but rather represents scouting for and seizing a location that has some battlefield advantage. Also, remember that your lone scouting squad can still use General Initiative to seek cover.

Finally, there may be times when your best first move on the scene might not be to seek cover, but perhaps to pop smoke, toss a grenade, concentrate fire, deploy illumination (at night), deploy a signal pyrotechnic, etc., depending on what you encounter when you arrive. Finding cover is not guaranteed; popping open a canister of smoke is, and it might offer better protection than +1 cover.

Anyway, I’ll think on it more, but those are some initial thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Jones
msg tools
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the swift response.

I'll look forward to trying it out at long last. I've been pouring over the posts here, and the rulebook, and watching the videos for some time now. I'm hoping I've eliminated a whole lot of questions that way.

The game really looks engrossing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gingras

Weymouth
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is function in the game of showing how command and control begin to break down as units are dispersed from their command and control. In this case a platoon can not order a squad forward and then order them to find cover. After moving forward they are no longer in command range of the headquarters. They could seek cover on their own using General Initiative. This represents the NCO in charge of that section taking action on his own. Its actual a neat elegant way to show junior leader initiative.

On the other hand a platoon could do a platoon move for two command points to move itself and other elements assigned to it forward and then with remaining commands to order the other folks to find cover or move under cover if it is found.

One way to do this is to send a squad or Assault team forward, use general initiative to find cover and then on the next turn if they found it to bring everyone forward. When moving to a card if there is already a cover marker on it the unit can freely move under the cover when they enter the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.