Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, as you already know, people
badge
Everything happens so much
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any good dungeon crawlers that can be played in a single session? Something like Descent isn’t really viable for me as I don’t really have a fixed group.

Lots of things look interesting in this category, but most seem to be based on campaigns with each scenario taking like an hour each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind specifying what you want? If it is just the dungeon setting and everyone having a character, you could play DungeonQuest (or one of the more recent editions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D Adventures line, which began with Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, is great for this. Each game includes a campaign, but they don't require or assume continuous play -- the characters don't persist, and you can play any adventure with any characters. Heck, if memory serves they cap at level 2 (starting at level 1) and reset to level 1 between games.; every time you start an adventure, you're level 1.

It sounds like exactly what you're after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D Adventures:
Ravenloft
Drizzt
Wrath of Ashberlon (sp)
etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Portugal
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb

yes, try Claustrophobia.

Claustrophobia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Collins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, as you already know, people
badge
Everything happens so much
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Would you mind specifying what you want? If it is just the dungeon setting and everyone having a character, you could play DungeonQuest (or one of the more recent editions).

Broadly I’d say I just like the idea of a game where you all have a guy, run through a dungeon killing things while getting better loot, etc. and then murdering a big guy at the end.

Cutthroat Caverns looked pretty good but it had a few too many half-dressed women for my liking. Dungeon Fighter looks interesting but I’ve heard it’s difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up making my own crawler as I couldn't find one like this to scratch the itch for me (full coop / no GM or overlord, accessible, explore/fight/loot & leveling, one-shot not campaign-based, modular map, tons of role / monster / loot variety).

I own Dungeon!, DungeonQuest Revised Edition, Space Crusade, Dark World and strongly looked at the (1990s) Warhammer Quest, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) and several home brews from other Geeks here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Space Cadets: Away Missions might be, what you are looking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too Many Bones

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Massive Darkness. It can be played as a campaign but is best as a single-play session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Too many bones has the best character leveling up system of any game ever. I'm hoping more miniature based games take notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenDTU wrote:
Are there any good dungeon crawlers that can be played in a single session? Something like Descent isn’t really viable for me as I don’t really have a fixed group.

Lots of things look interesting in this category, but most seem to be based on campaigns with each scenario taking like an hour each.
The best of the single session dungeon crawls was Descent (First Edition), but that was 1vAll and is pretty much impossible to find by now.

BenDTU wrote:
Broadly I’d say I just like the idea of a game where you all have a guy, run through a dungeon killing things while getting better loot, etc. and then murdering a big guy at the end.
Descent (First Edition) 1vAll (2-4)
Dorn 1v5
Conan 1vAll (1-4)

Space Cadets: Away Missions Coop (1-6, but scenario dictates party size limits)
Massive Darkness Coop (1-4)
Too Many Bones Coop (1-4) (progression is more through training points than the minimal loot gained, game play is like a mini-campaign - i.e., playable in a single session; tactical combat is always on a 4x4 grid, instead of progression through a map)
Warhammer Quest Coop (1-4) (minimal progression; very difficult to get material for)

Dark Souls: The Board Game Coop (1-4) (needs modifications/variants to not be unbearably long/boring to play)
Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games Coop (1-5) (minimal loot or progression)

Dungeon Fighter Coop Dexterity (1-6) (much more dexterity game than dungeon crawl, rooms dictate potential modifications to combat, which will be further modified by the monster faced for the room; it is quite difficult and difficulty will be further modified by material/construction of the table on which it is played - possibly best as a spectator sport, watching others play it as a drinking game); fun for what it is, but it might not be what you're looking for.

BenDTU wrote:
Cutthroat Caverns looked pretty good but it had a few too many half-dressed women for my liking. Dungeon Fighter looks interesting but I’ve heard it’s difficult.
Conan is extremely cheesecake heavy.
Descent (First Edition) and Massive Darkness also have at least some cheesecake. I don't have a copy of Warhammer Quest, and it's been a while since I played, so I can't comment on the cheesecake there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide and Zombicide: Black Plague fit the bill. I prefer the latter, though I don't have much exposure to the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenDTU wrote:
Are there any good dungeon crawlers that can be played in a single session?

Every Dungeon crawler can be played in one session if you have teh drive and the endurance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
What about Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia?
Characters run around in a dungeon killing monsters, gaining abilities and level up. Technically... There are no items. But you gain gold which you buy special cards with abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke Walker
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck Box Dungeons Not out, but coming soon to Kickstarter. Plays great for single sessions and doesn't take hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.