Denis Buslaev
msg tools
CardCraft(working title) is a single player "creature-building" game with rogue-like and deck-building elements.

Main mechanic of CardCraft is building Hearthstone- or Magic-like creatures by combining smaller creature part cards.

Game is currently in the early prototype stage and the best way to figure out how to actually play it is to watch this short video overview:

[vimeo=https://vimeo.com/252062032]

Prototype might not be doing a great job of explaining yourself so feel free to ask any questions.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Play it in browser here: WebGL version
Or download PC build here: PC build

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Lively
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a few rounds and after getting my butt kicked, I think I got the hang of it. I really enjoyed the mechanics, but I wish there was an undo button after putting the monster up on the line (I'm sure this is a very early prototype version of this game, but it made me wonder if I could have gone further). I'm interested to see where this goes! Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Buslaev
msg tools
Thank you so much for checking it out.

Making an Undo button for playing a creature on the line is problematic since entering play may trigger all sorts of effects which could rearrange board, draw cards etc and undoing all that is a bit of a pain. And later we'll have effects with random targets and Undo will open road for cheating there.
On the other it's doable and might be ok since the game is PVE anyway and who cares then. I agree that this kind of mistakes are really frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Lively
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just beat the prototype and I'd like to add a thought:

It seemed to me that cards going into the discard pile immediately after being played to the line gives the player a bit of an advantage, or at least presents the opportunity for abuse. It made it a lot easier for me to win by getting multiple leaders on the line even though I only had one in my deck.

Overall I really enjoyed the game and I would certainly follow any updates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Buslaev
msg tools
pootslap wrote:

I just beat the prototype

heart
pootslap wrote:

It seemed to me that cards going into the discard pile immediately after being played to the line gives the player a bit of an advantage, or at least presents the opportunity for abuse. It made it a lot easier for me to win by getting multiple leaders on the line even though I only had one in my deck.

That an interesting point. I'm not worried about advantage since I see that being part of a strategy. And I don't see yet how we can abuse that. To get the leader second time we still need to cycle through whole deck first and then draw it again. That should take at least couple turns usually. And that's not much different from CCGs where you allowed to have multiples of the same card.
And I like this way of doing things because it's very transparent and allows for very small player's decks. If we would "lock" used cards on creatures until they die we would only have enough cards to create 3-4 creatures with a 10 card deck.

That being said I don't think that the current system is perfect and there are probably ways to refine or even completely redesign it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Lively
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a good point. As long as you're balancing with that in mind! Awesome work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.