Hide
11 Posts

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Gameplay? Balance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shion smith
msg tools
I'm looking forward to this game, but I've sort of been dreading gameplay balance. All the themes, mechanics and ideas seem like exactly what I'd want but it will all be for naught if the actual play leads to unbalances that require players meta knowledge of the imbalance to make up for overly weak options.

As an example, on a thread quite some time ago I'd expressed concern about the fixed turn order and how they managed to balance the fact that with differing number of players, different number of folks got more bonus mandates depending on the number of players. I'd hoped the disadvantage of fewer mandate choices would be made up for by slightly more powerful faction balancing of those denied, however how could this be the case if which factions got the bonus mandate depended on a number of players.

Anyone have some comforting words for me about there being no overall best strategy / thing to do / faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aikens
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are worried about someone having more "turns" I would do what you can to ally with them. Pay them some coins so each season you get the most amount of coins...those would be my words of comfort

Remember, this is more like diplomacy than blood rage is like risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the core game and think the balance seems fine - there's plenty going on here it's not the end of the world if you have fewer turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its extremely unbalanced and you might as well sell me your copy to save yourself all the headaches this game will give you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
msg tools
mbmbmb
SwissQueso wrote:
I think its extremely unbalanced and you might as well sell me your copy to save yourself all the headaches this game will give you.

I applaud this.....nice post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shion_ca wrote:
but it will all be for naught if the actual play leads to unbalances that require players meta knowledge of the imbalance to make up for overly weak options.

If it wasn't like this, I'd have no interest in it!

What? Reward players knowledge of rules and metgame? Experience? Who wants a game like that...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Rothwell
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Why do you say that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Lang has a group of 100+ playtesters (see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRr-3Oqcs6w ) . So, I seriously doubt there has been "gameplay balance" issues.

And, until this hits "the wild" en masse, and/or I have played this several times myself, I refuse to believe this speculative train of thought. In fact, therein will lie your comfort - don't open it - wait a few months, and then watch/read more mature reviews. By mature, I mean not just initial "first impressions" style reviews that come out in the first week after the kickstarter hits post offices everywhere.

Then, and only then, will you receive the comfort you desire.

If it is causing too much stress to wait, or you're concerned about diminishment of value in some capacity, sell now, then if the reviews are positive later, course correct and pick it up again when it hits retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shion smith
msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
shion_ca wrote:
but it will all be for naught if the actual play leads to unbalances that require players meta knowledge of the imbalance to make up for overly weak options.

If it wasn't like this, I'd have no interest in it!

What? Reward players knowledge of rules and metgame? Experience? Who wants a game like that...shake

I think you, perhaps intentionally, over generalize my point so as to leverage a straw man argument against it.

A game where one faction is weaker than another because of balance un-eveness, ends up having to rely on meta game knowledge to balance. It requires the players to all know that a given player doesn't have much of a chance and thus isn't worth attacking or watching or whatever and only this allows the player to have any chance of winning.

This is not the kind of "balance" I like designers to build into their games. I would like asymmetric games to inherently have most sides on equal footing to start (even chances of winning in the abstract sense).

With Chaos in the Old World we interestingly noticed the opposite. We all worked out that if Khorne missed his victory point condition twice (I think can't remember the exact number) he pretty much couldn't win. So all 3 other players would simply combine their efforts to ensure Khorne was out of the running a the beginning. After the first few games.. the player who played Khorne never won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If people are looking for perfect balance they should avoid negotiation games. Period.

At the very least perceived imbalance is needed to encourage negotiation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Rothwell
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Ganybyte wrote:
If people are looking for perfect balance they should avoid negotiation games. Period.

At the very least perceived imbalance is needed to encourage negotiation.

I disagree. My and my friends spent so much time negotiating in risk legacy, even before our factions were actually different. The players who we would gang up on wouldn't have better factions, they would just have played well enough to get ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.