Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: What is going on with the Ranked Game dialog? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


So in the 1st row I assume that if I make a number bigger than 0 and tap the checkmark it'll start that many games. And then people who put a checkmark in the 2nd row may end up joining my game.

Is that correct?

And why does it say one "fast" game? Are there "slow" games somewhere?

I guess you have no control over how many people will join your game or any time-per-player settings.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regular games have a 72 hr chess clock max +12 hrs per move. Add as many games as you like. It tries to set you up with players near your rank that are available without duplicated players.

The fast games have a 10 min move timer. We are thinking of reducing it to 6 minutes. If you leave the app to do something else on your device then you drop out of the fast game queue. Not many people play fast games. People probably play an AI game while waiting for people to join for a fast game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:


The fast games have a 10 min move timer. We are thinking of reducing it to 6 minutes. If you leave the app to do something else on your device then you drop out of the fast game queue. Not many people play fast games. People probably play an AI game while waiting for people to join for a fast game.


I'd love it if the timer dropped to 6mins or even less. The one time I actually got in a fast game I had to drop from the final round or so after three hours of playing.

How often do fast games actually happen though? The last few times I've tried to join one I'd have my iPad sitting open in the queue for about thirty minutes and no game started. This usually in the evening central time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Regular games have a 72 hr chess clock max +12 hrs per move. Add as many games as you like. It tries to set you up with players near your rank that are available without duplicated players.

The +/- looks like it's for starting that number of games. Are you saying that's for the number of players? If so that's not mentioned anywhere there.

And is that top row for "regular" games as you mentioned?

In most apps you can start games or join ones other people started and it's pretty clear what you're doing. The better ones also give you clear options as to the number of players for your game and the move timer.

Sorry, but this dialog is pretty awful. Good thing there's Snellman.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That top row is for number of regular Ranked Games. As that is for Ranked Games you do not have a choice with who you are placed with. The Fast Games are also Ranked.

You can always start a Casual Game with your friends with any options you like for the game. The turn timer is 24 hours, but it requires another player to actually remove you if your time runs out. Who wants to play with friends who will kick you anyway? surprise The Casual games also do not affect your rating for ranked games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
That top row is for number of regular Ranked Games. As that is for Ranked Games you do not have a choice with who you are placed with. The Fast Games are also Ranked.

You can always start a Casual Game with your friends with any options you like for the game. The turn timer is 24 hours, but it requires another player to actually remove you if your time runs out. Who wants to play with friends who will kick you anyway? surprise The Casual games also do not affect your rating for ranked games.

It's not the casual game option I was asking about.

I'm talking about this dialog and how unclear it is. Digidiced needs a UI person to really look this over. Better yet, they should look at the apps for Through the Ages or Race for the Galaxy and copy that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll ask about a lobby.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.