Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of starting each round by increasing a global parameter because it would shorten the length of the game. I expect if the game were not so long, which I personally don't mind, I could convince my family to play it again.

Does starting each round by increasing a global parameter significantly break the balance when playing the base game without VN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to try it to find out. Personally, my wife and I play Venus Next without raising the global parameters each round, which results in silly amounts of income and achievements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gixxerscott wrote:
I like the idea of starting each round by increasing a global parameter because it would shorten the length of the game. I expect if the game were not so long, which I personally don't mind, I could convince my family to play it again.

Does starting each round by increasing a global parameter significantly break the balance when playing the base game without VN?

Nope, just makes the game shorter. Don't expect an engine that takes longer to pay off to work as well as normal. Played base game 5p with this rule and it was great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play this way now, otherwise I would never get other people to play with me! It works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
WE never play with the world government phase. It's crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that this is the LAST thing in the generation and is done by first player BEFORE the first player token is sent to next player. If it was Done by the new first player, it would at least partly break the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should try it to see!

There is a few ways that you could make the game shorter

Everyone starting with 1 production of everything (maybe evem 2 production)
Playing WIHOUT the corporation era cards
Starting the game with some parameters already a bit increased.

There is just several variants that can make the game shorter! And if you enjoy the game but you and your group feels it last too much, you should feel free to make the game more fun to your gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
You would have to try it to find out. Personally, my wife and I play Venus Next without raising the global parameters each round, which results in silly amounts of income and achievements.

Interesting, we do the same, but find that it usually only adds one generation. The large incomes are more a feature of the two player game in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Espie
msg tools
mb
gixxerscott wrote:

Unfortunately, this is not how the solar phase works.

It's played at the END of each generation, unless the terraformation is already complete. Thus there's one less of the global parameter free increase than you think, and also it's vitally important that the first player won't benefit from it.

In many, many cases, you either have to plan harder for bonuses (such as heat production), or you will find that these are systematically eaten by the solar phase as an aggressive move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxyoupi wrote:
gixxerscott wrote:

Unfortunately, this is not how the solar phase works.

It's played at the END of each generation, unless the terraformation is already complete. Thus there's one less of the global parameter free increase than you think, and also it's vitally important that the first player won't benefit from it.

In many, many cases, you either have to plan harder for bonuses (such as heat production), or you will find that these are systematically eaten by the solar phase as an aggressive move.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Marc,

Thanks for making that clarification for me. I will probably review the VN manual before I attempt to play with this variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Does using the increase global parameter at start of turn from VN break the base game
I recommend using it for newbies. The game won’t last as long, and then they can learn to love it. They will want to increase their engines in future games, and the only way to do that, is leave out the solar phase. If you want the option of using it, but still have a slightly longer game, choose the Venus parameter. The game will extend a little longer; you’ll be able incorporate more Venusian cards that have prerequisites; you’ll still be able to tweak other parameters to block bonuses for the next players, increase a parameter you need increased or prevent a TR from going to another player.

In my experience, the Venusian steps rarely go up high if the solar phase isn’t used. This prevents some cool Venus cards from being worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is mandatory with two and three player games, optional for four players and not recommended for five player games. Cumulative effect cards that are put forward as "broken" in some threads here are more likely to disrupt long games than shorter ones. Two player games are already too long and three can be also, so the leavening effect of WGT can definitely help with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.