Subject: Advice/Reprint info rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katie Havard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now that the second edition of Kingsburg has been released and it includes this expansion, that pretty much means that this one wont be reprinted right?

From what I've read, it seems that most people think that this one is absolutely required to fix some of the errors in the base game (like rolling the white die for the battle part), and to improve replay-ability. I've owned the base game for years but never got around to buying the expansion, and so the only thing I've played with is the one thing that replaces the white die (we've just written numbers on a piece of paper).

Since I already own the base game, and probably can't ever get another printed copy of this expansion, my options include:

1. Just don't worry about it. Play the game like it is and forget about the expansion.
2. Print out or create my own versions of the things that are most important from this expansion. (Which things do you think are most important?)
3. Buy an entirely new copy of the second edition which includes the expansion.
4. Wait for someone to sell a copy of the expansion on some forum somewhere?

What would you do were you in my situation here?
Thanks for any advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion is pretty much essential, even if just for the buildings alone. My group is split on the soldier tokens vs rolling die, but I personally like it better.

I don't think there's a right answer, but I personally would just buy the new version. The art sucks more (personal taste), but that is just the least hassle and most complete path.

If you want to print your own, I'd say the buildings are the most important, followed by variable buildings and soldier tokens.

I don't see the chances of #4 happening because that means someone is selling the essential expansion apart from the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
katiedz wrote:
So now that the second edition of Kingsburg has been released and it includes this expansion, that pretty much means that this one wont be reprinted right?

From what I've read, it seems that most people think that this one is absolutely required to fix some of the errors in the base game (like rolling the white die for the battle part), and to improve replay-ability. I've owned the base game for years but never got around to buying the expansion, and so the only thing I've played with is the one thing that replaces the white die (we've just written numbers on a piece of paper).

Since I already own the base game, and probably can't ever get another printed copy of this expansion, my options include:

1. Just don't worry about it. Play the game like it is and forget about the expansion.
If you didn't already have the soldier tokens, you can always use alternatives with the white die reinforcement:

a) the Soldier tokens have 6 values.... 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4
Just map the values of a d6 to that to make the values "more on par".

So to table it:
value
roll
1 0
2 1
3 1
4 2
5 3
6 4

b) Or do an official variant where you roll 2 d6, take the difference, and add 1.

For example, 6 and 1 = 6. 3 and 3 = 1

I posted the odds and "bell curve" distribution here...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/18837103#18837103

katiedz wrote:
2. Print out or create my own versions of the things that are most important from this expansion. (Which things do you think are most important?)

Amongst all of the options:
LOE = level of effort
*my take on "essentialness"

I- soldier tokens
LOE = low, but you already have this.
* I like this and try to use it whenever I can

II - 6th and 7th row
LOE = med... I guess it could get ugly appending a row on top and on bottom, as well as labeling the rows A through G on the left hand side. May be better to just print a brand new sheet
* does inject more variety into the game

III - alternative rows
LOE = low. Just print them out, cut them into matching strips, and lay them over any board
* also injects more variety into the game, but since using these is optional, others can always ignore them in favor of their usual, base game strategies

IV - governors
LOE = medium. You'd need to proxy cards, perhaps with sleeves, or print your own. Otherwise, creating an app could be the way to go, although that introduces "new foot prints"
* Special powers for each player. IIRC, not as balanced as we'd prefer, but still not bad overall. I like this

V - Event cards
LOE = medium. See Governors above. Doing something digital would be more practical here
* I don't have much experience here. More variety as always

katiedz wrote:
3. Buy an entirely new copy of the second edition which includes the expansion.
If you do this, perhaps selling 1E could be in order? Sounds like some folks here like 1E enough to pay a bit of a higher premium. AFAIK.. up to 10% more over list price?

katiedz wrote:
4. Wait for someone to sell a copy of the expansion on some forum somewhere?
If you can wait on this, then go for it! Else, not sure when/if this'll ever come to fruition

katiedz wrote:
Thanks for any advice!
Personally, I'd buy 2E. My taste in artwork was always less picky (and dare I accept, "less sophisticated"), but I especially won't go for better artwork if it means higher cost, and more hassle (having to find the exp).

Plus, I'd also be interested in the other modules included like (but limited to) alternative advisors, and the official scenarios that were previously PnP (e.g. Goblin Valley, and Wheel And Deal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brinich
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The one expansion that our group always uses is the soldier tokens, which is the easiest to create your own print-and-play version (just six 0-1-1-2-3-4 tokens with identical backs).

The expansion/alternate buildings, governors, and events are interesting, but dispensable. I created a printable version of the seven-row province board that fits on a letter-size sheet to save a bit of table space and made seven copies (each with a standard sheet on one side and one variant row substituted on the other) for convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
katiedz wrote:

Correct. Only used copies will be available from now on.

Quote:

It depends on how much you value the old art vs the new edition art. It also depends on how often you will play the game.

If you are ok with the new art, then buy the new edition and sell your old one. If you are "meh" on the new art but will only play the game a few times a year (and money is a little tight) then buy the new edition.

However, if the old art is important to you, then hunt down someone selling the old base game + expansion and buy them. Then sell your old base game to help re-coup the cost.

I bought the base game this year and liked it a lot. It gets lots of play with my gf and her friends. When looking at the new edition I absolutely hated the art in it compared to FFG's art.

So I hunted down FFG's base game + expansion and bought them. I will be selling my original FFG base game on eBay soon to help recoup the cost.

When looking for used games, check BGG, kijiji and Facebook. Here in Toronto we have a rather large local FB group of people who sell and trade used games. It's a great resource. Maybe you have something similar in your area? I find eBay to be the most expensive place to buy. Great to sell (with the hassle of shipping if you are willing), but bad to buy from generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Havard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have to agree on the new art... it's terrible! The FFG version is so so much better. I have a rather large collection now and am struggling with too many un-played games at the moment. So I don't think it's likely to come out very often. I'm certain this is also why I'm only realizing now that I'm missing this expansion.

Money isn't tight, but I enjoy the hunt of a good deal and Hate overpaying for anything. I can afford to go buy everything at Whole Foods and not think about it, but instead I clip my coupons out of the sunday paper and go to whichever grocery store has the best sales each week. So the concept of buying a duplicate copy of a game I already own (and one that is so ugly in comparison) is tough to stomach! I like the idea of buying a used copy but I've only ever bought new games. I doubt I'll buy used regularly, but I think it might be worth looking into on this one.

Lots of good advice I think. Thanks to all so far. I haven't decided which route to go yet, but I might monitor the used forums for a little while and see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.