Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Raiders and enjoyed the heck out of it. Played Shipwrights yesterday and was somewhat disappointed. I admit we did not play with the expansion and will have to give it a try with that to see if it makes the game more fun. Don't get me wrong, take that is ok and I don't mind it completely, but there was so much of it, that to build the 4 ships made the game drag on and on. I don't have the game so I don't know how many of each card there is. I thought maybe take 1 card of each take that character out. Wonder how many building cards there are. 7 diff buildings and I saw 1 card each of just 2. I honestly cannot put my finger on what I would like to see change. I love the mechanics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling much of what bothered you will be alleviated when you add the expansion. It helps to mitigate some of the take that in the game. It's still there, but it doesn't tend to lead to such dramatic losses when you add the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
#1, play with the expansion. It is really sort of a fix for the game, rather than an expansion, in my opinion.

#2, after you play a few games, you will likely realize that the take that actions can be ok to pull back a runaway leader, but every time you play a take that card, you are basically wasting your turn. So, in my experience, they don't get played all that often (unused cards can be cashed in for gold with the expansion).

#3, they're ruthless Vikings, some take that is almost needed for the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fisher
United States
east lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i really can’t imagine playing without the Townsfolk board...i use the shields to protect my big ship i’m working on and then to protect a craftsman or two. also you get 2 workers back every night instead of just 1....i’d suggest you adopt that change immediately! hopefully future editions will just have the Townsfolk board in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soylentgreenismeeple wrote:
i really can’t imagine playing without the Townsfolk board...i use the shields to protect my big ship i’m working on and then to protect a craftsman or two. also you get 2 workers back every night instead of just 1....i’d suggest you adopt that change immediately! hopefully future editions will just have the Townsfolk board in it.

The Renegade version comes with the Townsfolk expansion in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not the first thread around that topic. And the Townsfolk expansion is definitely your solution. I like Shipwrights but my group always felt that it is a bit mean. The designer recommended to remove some of the more aggressive cards. And we thought of home rules, pretty similar to what shields do now. The Townsfolk expansion was a welcome addition for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
This is not the first thread around that topic. And the Townsfolk expansion is definitely your solution. I like Shipwrights but my group always felt that it is a bit mean. The designer recommended to remove some of the more aggressive cards. And we thought of home rules, pretty similar to what shields do now. The Townsfolk expansion was a welcome addition for us.
Meaness is not my problem as much as it seemed to be done way too much and it would drag the game. In Raiders there were some cards that made you crazy, but it did not happen all the time. Look forward to playing with the expansion or shall I say, the fix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
snake2shake wrote:
Meaness is not my problem as much as it seemed to be done way too much and it would drag the game. In Raiders there were some cards that made you crazy, but it did not happen all the time. Look forward to playing with the expansion or shall I say, the fix

It is true that my group usually agrees that each game of Shipwrights is a bit too long. But a good portion of that is due to them asking questions all over again I guess everyone should have a turn overview card (or maybe there is one). Have fun with the fixpansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
fixpansion )
Love this word
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.