Popular Tags: [View All]
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the counter density in this game? The counter density at the start of Cobra is terrible. Is this what I can expect from the game, or does it open up more in the full game? The biggest problem is that the stacks are big. Two counters I can deal with. Three counters or more in every hex is a pain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquo Straffnoye
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
"Three counters or more in every hex is a pain."

Then this game is not for you...unfortunate because it is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marquo wrote:
"Three counters or more in every hex is a pain."

Then this game is not for you...unfortunate because it is a great game.

I have ended up buying too many WWII games, anyway. I think I'll go back to the operational level games by Mark Simonitch, like Holland '44. Bigger counters, lower counter density.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cobra is certainly the worst of it, but yeah, the whole game is a bit of a tweezer-fest. Beautiful map, though. If I had the space to blow it up by 20% or so, I'll bet it would work very nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided not to give up on this game, although the large stacks of small counters is annoying. But it has made me lose interest in Victory Roads. I have the impression that Liberty Roads is the better game, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

I like that there is no ZOC in Liberty Roads and tactical results in CRT. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a great game too but it is unfortunate to have to learn the game playing Cobra with a bunch of massive stacks. Definitely a put-off trying to get that jump-started, especially since the support counters add even more to the stacks. On top of that it's not even a small map to make up for the counter density, so it's the worse of both worlds. That means the game has to be very very good to make it worth the annoyances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
I have decided not to give up on this game, although the large stacks of small counters is annoying. But it has made me lose interest in Victory Roads. I have the impression that Liberty Roads is the better game, anyway.

Love LR but my friends and I think VR is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
billyboy wrote:

Love LR but my friends and I think VR is fantastic.

Compared to Liberty Roads, how much worse is the counter density in Victory Roads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CactusJuice wrote:
Compared to Liberty Roads, how much worse is the counter density in Victory Roads.

The counter density per hex is the same. VR is probably a three-fold increase in scope and total number of counters. It's a monster game by all accounts.

Here is a picture of both games side-by-side:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joekong_hk wrote:

I like that there is no ZOC in Liberty Roads and tactical results in CRT. laugh

I like the tactical results, but I also prefer ZoCs, in general. It's a good way to decrease counter density. If it was up to me (e.g. if I was designing a game at this scale), I would probably choose to have corps-sized units, stacking limit of 2 and "sticky" ZoCs which can't be infiltrated.

But more than anything I like ZoI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kubaman wrote:
Here is a picture of both games side-by-side:

That doesn't look too bad, actually. Liberty Roads looks pretty managable, but I can see from this image that Victory Roads has more counters than I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
kubaman wrote:
[q="CactusJuice"]The counter density per hex is the same. VR is probably a three-fold increase in scope and total number of counters. It's a monster game by all accounts.

Here is a picture of both games side-by-side.

Jakub, thanks very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

oivind22 wrote:

You mean Empire of the Sun?

I would like to quote again from a designer: "whenever there are ZOC, the scale between the map and units must be wrong." Adding complexities to ZOC rules (e.g. ZOC bond) may reduce the problem. However I do not like so much rule overhead to solve the issue. Only armour units have ZOC (e.g. Third Reich) is acceptable. Still I prefer its complete removal. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joekong_hk wrote:

oivind22 wrote:

You mean Empire of the Sun?

Yes.
Quote:
I would like to quote again from a designer: "whenever there are ZOC, the scale between the map and units must be wrong." Adding complexities to ZOC rules (e.g. ZOC bond) may reduce the problem. However I do not like so much rule overhead to solve the issue. Only armour units have ZOC (e.g. Third Reich) is acceptable. Still I prefer its complete removal. blush

I disagree with that designer, at least in this case. It's artificial anyway that we know exactly where each and every unit is located, so it might as well be spread over an area which is bigger than one hex. I play games as they are designed, but if it was up to me, I would only consider dropping ZOC rules in a game with no stacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.