7 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best side for new player. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eldar Kulmukhametov
Russia
flag msg tools
So wich faction whould a new player to pick?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
England is a good faction for a new player. They kind of fly under the radar for a turn or two, so they can sit back and see how game flows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend one of three factions to newbs in our group:

1) England - they're relatively isolated and can focus on Scotland, heir, and New World early. It's not often we see England invaded.

2) Otts - Focus on Hungary war and establishing pirating fleet. Haps are a thorn from the get-go, they're also relatively isolated.

3) Prots - the religious game begins the game with the 95 Theses. Only initial enemy is the Pope until the Schmalkaldic League. Then the Haps become a second enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjacjackson wrote:
I recommend one of three factions to newbs in our group:

1) England - they're relatively isolated and can focus on Scotland, heir, and New World early. It's not often we see England invaded.

2) Otts - Focus on Hungary war and establishing pirating fleet. Haps are a thorn from the get-go, they're also relatively isolated.

3) Prots - the religious game begins the game with the 95 Theses. Only initial enemy is the Pope until the Schmalkaldic League. Then the Haps become a second enemy.

I strongly caution against giving the Prots to a newb. An experienced Pope or Protestant can really smack around his opposite without experience. My group usually gives newbs the Otts, then sometimes England, then sometimes France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Ottomans, they're only focused on military (so a new player doesn't have to learn the specifics of the religious conflict, unlike if he played England), have limited powers to deal with directly, and have clear priorities and methods of gaining VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Definitely Ottomans, they're only focused on military (so a new player doesn't have to learn the specifics of the religious conflict, unlike if he played England), have limited powers to deal with directly, and have clear priorities and methods of gaining VPs.

I concur ... I played the Otts my first two games of HIS because I didn't have the bandwidth to deal with the religious rules overhead. The Otts are very straightforward and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck
France
flag msg tools
I definitely advice not giving ottomans to a new or a bad player. It breaks balance in the game so hard.

First, military rules are not easy, especially naval affairs and ottomans heavily rely on those rules. You have to master interception, avoid battle, and the exceptions with cavalry. You have to be aware that there are no extra die while defending, except in ports. You shall also anticipate that destroyed naval units are not available until next turn.

Second, as first player, Ottomans shall take advantage of his position to get gifts in the diplomacy phase with bold propositions. A new player will unlikely behave like this.
Also as a first player, Ottomans shall keep the initiative and create threats in the game. As a comparison, you'd better give black side to a new player when teaching chess.

Third, Ottomans is the main threat for Hapsburgs. Give it to a peaceful player and you take the risk of seeing a military auto-win for Charles V.

For me, the protestant side is the best power to give to a new player. You only have to focus on religious rules and on scripture translations. Besides, you should be wise with the play of your home card, but all powers should be wise when playing his HC.
Protestants don't have to bother at all about naval affairs, new world. They will hardly be involved in field battles and at the initiative of assaults. They also call few debates since they win ties in reformations it is a more efficient action for them to convert cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.