BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Spirit Island but shorter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Spirit Island but I have watched a 'how to play' video and maybe some play through stuff. It looks really good. I love Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, and this looks like another medium weight co-op. The only thing I don't like about Spirit Island is the play time of 2 hours. I would love to play a game that is a complex co-op with meaningful decisions in closer to an hour. I have Pandemic and Ghost Stories but I think I am looking for more of a crunchy Euro feel (something like a suspect Spirit Island has).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Orléans: Invasion?

Not easy at all to win and doesn’t suffer from alpha player syndrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen that yet. I now remember hearing something about the expansion making the original into a co-op. I'll check it out, thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How many players are you going to play Spirit Island with? 2 player it's easily an hour. Probably 3 players too once you're in the swing of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
How many players are you going to play Spirit Island with? 2 player it's easily an hour. Probably 3 players too once you're in the swing of it.

Hmmm ... usually I don't get more than 3, 4 max. Not to hijack my own posting, but, is Spirit Island as good as it looks? Most reviewers praise its out-of-the-box theme, but I don't hear a ton about innovative game play and such. Perhaps that is just because the backwards Catan theming is what catches the eye, and therefore earns commentary.

But to me, this game feels like it fills a rare niche as a medium/heavy weight Euro-feeling co-op. Based on the dearth of suggestions here (though thanks to Susan for the tip on Orleans!), it seems there is little else around like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
judo artist wrote:
celdom wrote:

Hmmm ... usually I don't get more than 3, 4 max. Not to hijack my own posting, but, is Spirit Island as good as it looks? Most reviewers praise its out-of-the-box theme, but I don't hear a ton about innovative game play and such. Perhaps that is just because the backwards Catan theming is what catches the eye, and therefore earns commentary.

But to me, this game feels like it fills a rare niche as a medium/heavy weight Euro-feeling co-op. Based on the dearth of suggestions here (though thanks to Susan for the tip on Orleans!), it seems there is little else around like this one.

I find spirit island to be as good as it looks. And there is a ton of variety in the base game, with 8 spirits that play very very differently and scenarios and adversaries.

There is usually a bunch of different ways you can use the power cards in hand to drive out the invaders.

1 and 2 player games at lower difficulties are pretty quick (i can finish a solo game in under an hour), but once the difficulty goes up or you have 4 players, youre going to spend a lot more time studying the cards to see how to handle the problem spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
judo artist wrote:
celdom wrote:

I think reviewers have a hard time giving the gameplay a big recommendation because they're busy guys, and it takes more than a couple of plays to really get into the swing of it. It's not hard to play, but it takes a few goes to play it well. Every time I try a new spirit there's at least one 'practice game' to figure out how to be effective.

My first reaction was that it was an insane Pandemic with delightful card-play and combos all over the shop, and I love it. Absolutely besotted by it. It's a satisfying puzzle that's different every time I pull it out of the box. The sheer variety packed into the box, with the different spirits and adversaries and game modes (all of which are balanced brilliantly) is crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
My first reaction was that it was an insane Pandemic with delightful card-play and combos all over the shop, and I love it. Absolutely besotted by it. It's a satisfying puzzle that's different every time I pull it out of the box. The sheer variety packed into the box, with the different spirits and adversaries and game modes (all of which are balanced brilliantly) is crazy.

Your statement about card play and combos made me think of Mage Knight or maybe a deck builder like Aeon's End. Curious if you have played those and if that is what you mean. Must admit, you are making it sound really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BB
Norway
Aalesund
More og Romsdal
flag msg tools
all friends and aquintances will be assimilated (now that they’re stuck at home with their kids *g*)
badge
get in loser we’re going spelunking
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three plays of Spirit Island so far, with two spirits, and none lasted for two hours. Still on beginner difficulty though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.