Andreas W
Sweden
Årsta
flag msg tools
I played Probe on the Loose tonight and halfway through I got a new objective that I never understood was mandatory, called ”The rover is close”.

It asked me to gather a black objective marker out on R2W, i think it had something to do with aquiring an AOM. But since I was playing solo, having all 4 AOM’s already, this felt really weird to me and I read it as being an non-mandatory thing.

But it wasn’t.

Can surprise mandatory objectives happen in any mission or is it specific to some only? In this case it kind of felt really bad as I was about to win the mission when I understood too late that it was a mandatory thing.

It felt a little cheap, has anyone else experienced this, it’s not a bug right?

I guess it happened as a delayed consequence of some event earlier?

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bever
United States
Plattsburgh
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had some discussion on this happening and it was confirmed that it's supposed to be a rare event that causes mandatory objectives to be added.

This stemmed from a mandatory objective being added in the last turn or two which was completely unwinnable.

It's definitely not fun to realize it so late but it is something to keep an eye out for in later games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just happened to me last night while playing probe on the loose. My mandatory objective was different however. During sol 6 I got an event that told me to remove the red cube from the living block malfunction track and add 4 black cubes to the track instead. This restricted the first player to actions in the living block only. I didn't really care about that because all I needed to do to finish my last objective was to take the gather action on the probe's location in ROI 3, which I did. Then I thought the game would end so I tapped in through the next steps and much to my surprise sol 7 started and there was a new mandatory objective telling me I had to use the build action to get rid of the black cubes from the living block malfunction track. Each time I took the build action I had to roll the orange malfunction die and remove the resulting number of black cubes from the living block malfunction track. I managed to do this with a couple of lucky rolls but it could have easily caused me to lose. I thought it was strange that the mandatory objective did not appear until the sol after the event that caused it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.