Martin Hendry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm bored and it's gonna be at least a fortnight until I can play TI4 again, so I thought I'd do some meticulous analysis: I'm going to collate the data on all the planets and see what Action, Agenda and objectives will effect each planet type. Hopefully this will be a useful resource for people and if not at least a mildly entertaining diversion and place to discuss stuff. Where I feel that a particular race wants a particular tile, I have mentioned this in the "Where" section.

Number of tile
Name of planet; resource value; trait; speciality (if any)
Comments
Where should I put this if I draw it? I prefer my most valuable systems adjacent to my home (in order not to spread myself too thin) and I'm a massive fan of putting less valuable double systems next to Mecatol Rex, as I can then put PDS on them and exert control. Single planet systems go on the outskirts of my pie slice, on the borders with my neighbours.
Action and Agenda card references. I will collate the data related to planet types here for a quick reference as to "What can ruin/improve my day if I take this system?"

Tile Number 18
Mecatol Rex; 1R/6I
Comments: You know why you want this, now go get it!
Where: Centre of the board is ALWAYS a good idea for this one.

Tile Number 19
Wellon; 1R/2I; Industrial; Yellow
Comments: One of the better single planet systems. 2/3rds of a CC and it allows you to skip a Yellow.
Where: Second ring, not directly en route to Mecatol Rex OR third ring.
SECTION A

Tile Number 20
Vefut II; 2R/2I; Hazardous
Comments: One of the better single planet systems in terms of resources.
SECTION C

Tile Number 21
Thibah; 1R/1I; Industrial; Blue
Comments: Bad planet which lets you skip Antimass Deflectors.
SECTION A

Tile Number 22
Tar'Mann; 1R/1I; Industrial; Green
Comments: Bad planet which lets you skip Dacxive Animators.
SECTION A

Tile Number 23
Saudor; 2R/2I; Industrial
Comments: See 20/Vefut II.
SECTION A

Tile Number 24
Mehar Xull; 1R/3I; Hazardous; Red
Comments: The best single planet tech speciality system. Allows you to skip Magen Defence Grid, then gives you 1CC per Leadership for the rest of the game.
SECTION C

Tile Number 25
Lodor; 3R/1I; Cultural; Alpha Wormhole
Comments: Probably the best single planet system: put a Space Dock and upgraded PDS here and you're gonna cause some real problems for whoever's on the other side.
Where: Often good as a system between you and another player's pie slice as it enables you to potentially get two trading partners with one tactical action. If you are placing both wormholes, can be good adjacent to Mecatol. Ghosts of Creuss probably want this adjacent to the Creuss gate, though it also depends on where the other end of the wormhole is played.
SECTION B & D

Tile Number 26
Quann; 2R/1I; Cultural; Beta Wormhole
Comments: Like Lodor, but slightly worse.
Where: Often good as a system between you and another player's pie slice as it enables you to potentially get two trading partners with one tactical action. If you are placing both wormholes, can be good adjacent to Mecatol Rex. Ghosts of Creuss probably want this adjacent to the Creuss gate, though it also depends on where the other end of the wormhole is played.
SECTION B & D

Tile Number 27
New Albion; 1R/1I; Industrial; Green
Starpoint; 3R/1I; Hazardous
Comments: Ah, finally we come to systems we actually want! Third best production centre in the game AND the ability to skip Dacxive Animators? Yes please!
Where: Adjacent to your home system, probably en route to Mecatol Rex. Mentak want this system en route to Mecatol Rex as it gives them the opportunity to research Cruiser II on turn 1, if they can get Diplomacy or resolve the secondary.
SECTION A & C

Tile Number 28
Tequ'Ran; 2R/0I; Hazardous
Torkan; 0R/3I; Cultural
Comments: Nice all-rounder: not the best system at anything, but each planet is very focused which means no agonising over whether you need the Resources or Influence more.
Where: Adjacent to Mecatol, if possible.
SECTION B & C

Tile Number 29
Qucen'n; 1R/2I; Industrial
Rarron; 0R/3I; Cultural
Comments: Third best influence system after Mecatol Rex and Arinam/Meer: one CC per turn for sure, and you only need one more influence for the second.
Where: Adjacent to your home system, not en route to Mecatol Rex.
SECTION A & B

Tile Number 30
Mellon; 0R/2I; Cultural
Zohbat; 3r/1I; Hazardous
Comments: Decent all rounder: stick a Space Dock on Zohbat and get 2/3rds of a CC per turn from Mellon.
SECTION B & C

Tile Number 31
Lazar; 1R/0I; Industrial; Yellow
Sakulag; 2R/1I; Hazardous
Comments: Can be a production centre if you work at it, but will always be inferior to Bereg/Lirta and Abyz/Fria and if you're only going to deploy one Space Dock you'd be better of with Mellon/Zohbat.
SECTION A & C

Tile Number 32
Dal Bootha; 0R/2I; Cultural
Xxehan; 1R/1I; Cultural
Comments: One of the worst double systems, though it will net you 1CC per turn.
SECTION B

Tile Number 33
Corneeq; 1R/2I; Cultural
Resculon; 2R/0I; Cultural
Comments: Pretty decent production system, though you'll ideally need both planets with Space Docks, so it might not be worth the opportunity cost.
SECTION B

Tile Number 34
Centauri; 1R/3I; Cultural
Gral; 1R/1I; Industrial; Blue
Comments: One CC per turn and the ability to skip Antimass Deflectors is pretty cool, eh?
Where: Adjacent to your home system, not en route to Mecatol Rex.
SECTION A & B

Tile Number 35
Bereg; 3R/1I; Hazardous
Lirta IV; 2R/3I; Hazardous
Comments: The best system in the TI4 galaxy: equal best production centre during the Action Phase and four votes during the Agenda Phase. If you want to build fighter swarms, get two Space Docks on this system and churn out a fully loaded Sol carrier every turn. Also a great Diplomacy target on round one.
Where: Adjacent to your home system, probably en route to Mecatol Rex.
SECTION C

Tile Number 36
Arnor; 2R/1I; Industrial
Lor; 1R/2I; Industrial
Comments: Nice all-round system.
SECTION A

Tile Number 37
Arinam; 1R/2I; Industrial
Meer; 0R/4I; Hazardous; Red
Comments: The best influence centre on the map, other than Mecatol Rex. Most races will use this to skip Magen Defence Grid, then call this one "Two CCs a turn" and have done with it.
Where: Adjacent to your home system, not en route to Mecatol Rex. Note that The Winnue have a unique interaction with this one: if you take Hegemonic Trade Policy and put a Space Dock on Meer it becomes one of the best production centres in the galaxy. If you plan to do that, put it en route to Mecatol Rex.
SECTION A & C

Tile Number 38

Abyz; 3R/0I; Hazardous
Fria; 2R/0I; Hazardous
Comments: Second best production system in the game. See Bereg and Lirta, but without any influence. Build two Space Docks if you want to build fighter swarms, or just enjoy five resources from one system.
Where: Adjacent to your home system, probably en route to Mecatol Rex.
SECTION C

The next sections will cover what Action Cards and Agendas effect which planet traits: note that "Elect Planet" Agenda Cards and "Choose a Planet" Action Cards will NOT be described here unless they specifically relate to a planet's traits or mention the presence of a wormhole, in the case of Lodor and Quann.

SECTION A: Cards that effect Industrial Planets
Research Team Biotic (Agenda; Law): Elect Industrial Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. When the owner of this planet researches technology, he may exhaust this card to ignore one Green prerequisite.
Research Team Propulsion (Agenda; Law): Elect Industrial Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. When the owner of this planet researches technology, he may exhaust this card to ignore one Blue prerequisite.
Research Team Cybernetic (Agenda; Law): Elect Industrial Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. When the owner of the planet researches technology, he may exhaust this card to ignore one Yellow prerequisite.
Industrial initiative (Action): Action: Gain one trade good for each industrial planet you control.

SECTION B: Cards that effect Cultural Planets
Holy Planet of Ixth (Agenda; Law): Elect Cultural Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. The planet's owner gains one Victory Point. Units on the planet cannot use Production. When a player gains control of this planet he gains one victory point. When a player loses control of this planet he loses one victory point.
Demilitarized zone (Agenda; Law): Elect Cultural Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. Then, destroy all units on that planet. Players' units cannot land, be produced or placed on this planet.
Senate Sanctuary (Agenda): Elect Cultural Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. The influence value of this planet is increased by 2.
Conventions of War (Agenda; Law): For: Players cannot use bombardment against units that are on cultural planets. Against: Each player who voted against discards all his action cards.
Economic initiative (Action): Action: Ready each cultural planet you control.
Ancient Burial Sites (Action): At the start of the agenda phase. Choose one player. Exhaust each cultural planet owned by that player.

SECTION C: Cards that effect Hazardous Planets
Terraforming Initiative (Agenda; Law): Elect Hazardous Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. The resource and influence values of this planet are increased by 1.
Core Mining (Agenda; Law): Elect Hazardous Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. Then, destroy 1 infantry on that planet. The resource of value of this planet is increased by 2.
Research Team Warfare (Agenda; Law): Elect Hazardous Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. When the owner of this planet researches technology, he may exhaust this card to ignore one red prerequisite.
Unstable Planet (Action): Action: Choose one hazardous planet. Exhaust that planet and destroy three infantry on it.

SECTION D: Cards that effect Wormholes
Wormhole Reconstruction (Agenda; Law): For: All systems that contain either an Alpha or Beta Wormhole are adjacent to each other. Against: Each player places a command token from his reinforcements in each system that contains a wormhole and one or more of his ships.
Enforced Travel Ban (Agenda; Law): For: Alpha and Beta Wormholes have no effect during movement. Against: Destroy each PDS in or adjacent to systems containing a wormhole.
Wormhole Research (Agenda; Directive): For: Each player that has one or more ships in a system that contains a wormhole may research one technology. Then, destroy all ships in systems that contain an alpha or beta wormhole. Against: Each player that voted against removes one token from his command sheet and returns it to his reinforcements.
Lost Star Chart (Action): When you activate a system. During this tactical action, systems that contain alpha and beta wormholes are adjacent to each other.

SECTION E: Objectives I
Found Research Outposts: Control 3 Planets that have Technology Specialities.
Expand Borders: Control 6 planets in non-home systems.
Corner the Market: Control 4 planets that each have the same planet trait.

SECTION F: Objectives II
Unify the Colonies: Control 6 planets that each have the same planet trait.
Form Galactic Brain Trust: Control 5 planets that have Technology Specialities.
Subdue the Galaxy: Control 11 planets in non-home systems.

SECTION G: Secret Objectives
Become the Gatekeeper: Have one or more ships in a system that contains an alpha wormhole and have one or more ships in a system that contains a beta wormhole.
Mine Rare Metals: Control 4 Hazardous planets.
Monopolize Production: Control 4 Industrial planets.
Forge An Alliance: Control 4 Cultural planets.

I think that is a pretty sizable chunk of information collated into one place. What are your thoughts on planet placement? What have I missed? Have I dissed on a planet you love? Let's get some discussion going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Freeman
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Section B:
"Demilitarized zone (Agenda; Law): Elect Cultural Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. Then, destroy all units on that planet. Players' units can land, be produced or placed on this planet."

Shouldn't it be 'cannot land, be produced, or placed'?

Also, thanks for putting all of these effects in one place! Interesting to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
ChaosFarseer wrote:
Section B:
"Demilitarized zone (Agenda; Law): Elect Cultural Planet. Attach this card to the elected planet's card. Then, destroy all units on that planet. Players' units can land, be produced or placed on this planet."

Shouldn't it be 'cannot land, be produced, or placed'?

Also, thanks for putting all of these effects in one place! Interesting to look at.

Saw that too. That's a permanent control for the owner at the time or the Xxcha. Great combo with Holy Planet of Ixth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.