Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Kubas
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question as in the title.

I know the answer will be "yes" but my question is more like: "Will It be a good experience to play this game solo?"

Will it lack a lot of his playability?
Is there anybody who has tried to play this game solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched Rahdo's Runthrough on it, it looks very hectic for one person to try to handle all the roles (four roles to handle 32 people) since it is a "real time" play. Rahdo said that the designers may try to make adjustments for one person to play it. That was my impression from watching his video. I was highly impressed with the design, I was leery to want to try it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kudirka
United States
Sewickley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The developers have stated that for solo (or even fewer than four), some tasks are simplified or automated within the app. For the prototype, the app does not yet have this capability. This means Rahdo was playing the full (prototype) version of all four players roles all by himself. If memory serves he does mention this.

I do believe the final version will be as simple or as complicated for solo play as you’d like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I posted the following thread over in the "1-Player Guild" so to inform other solitaire players of this game, as I think it looks quite intriguing for solo play: Uboot... A Leap Forward in Boardgaming Immersion!

But considering that the response was almost entirely negative (over the game), I'd also like to see the replies here in hopes that I could bring better info back to the solitaire crowd there. So thanks for asking the question!

For gee whiz, that thread which I linked to above, has two general responses... either players don't like playing a game that uses an app, or they don't like playing a solitaire game in real time.

I bolded that last part because that's what I'd like to learn more about!

This game has certainly attracted more than its fair share of people who're turned off by an app. (And as you might see on the first page of that thread, I tried to learn why some were turned off and felt compelled to share that fact [considering that the game is going to have an app no matter what people say]. But I turned that conversation into a train wreck pretty quickly, so just skip past that part if you're interested in the more "meaty" answers).

So getting to the "meat", several of the respondents weren't sure about the real time nature of the game. Many cited that they don't like playing solitaire games in real time. So I'm also very interested in how this game will play solitaire - specifically, how will the "real time" aspect be handled for solitaire play?

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aether Shanties
msg tools
Based on the information I've got so far from the FAQ and comments section of the Kickstarter campaign I think that it will become a good single player game because of the following reasons.

Up to now most of the neccessary single player functions aren't included or
switched on in the app because of that the single player game tests so far might be not fully representive.

In the final version the difficulty in terms of all the things that have to be done or the detail level in things that have to be done can be controlled by the app (as I understood it so far). By this one has it in his own hands how much things he wants to do by himself in single player mode and maybe he could also focus on the tasks that brings him the most fun in that way by deciding what he wants to do in detail and what not.

By this mechanic one can choose his personal "level of stress" in single player mode what might make the real time aspect manageable. Over that the app will also have a "Pause function" (this was a already fullfilled stretch goal). So if one might feel still overwhelmed by things in a special situation with his own chosen "detail setting" he could just press the pause button and stop the real time progress as long as he wants.

These information are due to my information and understanding so far. I'm sure that one of the authors will tell you more about that in a while and correct me if I'm wrong in some things in a while as they are also pretty active here (although at the moment there main focus is in the campaign as one could understand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Pluta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We have a lot of questions about UBOOT solo playtest, so we will record a video of one of us playing. Give us a couple of days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
As backer 1786 (IIRC) I'm really looking forward to this game.
But solo?... I think I'll play Silent Hunter instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
they don't like playing a solitaire game in real time.

Some people like to make (all) the decisions with a lot of thought... Others like to do the same, but with time pressure added on top.

Real-time games are hardcore. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kubas
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pluton3000 wrote:
We have a lot of questions about UBOOT solo playtest, so we will record a video of one of us playing. Give us a couple of days :)

Nice!
Can't wait :)
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Watching the BeastsofWar playthrough (I'm sorry but I can't STAND rahdo...) it reminds me very much of Shut Up & Sit Down's review of XCOM, at the end when Paul was simulating a solo playthrough. It looks like a lot of headache to use an app to guide card plays when... ...everything could just be on the app...

I funded it though - I just hope that, if I don't end up liking it, I won't have too much trouble turning around and selling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd love to see two additional speed options... slow down to REAL time (i.e., one minute in the app = one minute real time), and even HALF time! (30 seconds in the app = one minute real time).

Of course no one would want to play at this time scale for more than a few real minutes, as the game would take an actual 24 hours to play (NO!)
But having these additional options for when needed would certainly alleviate everyone's concerns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have actually thought of introducing slo-mo, or other tricks to slow things down if most solo testers find it too quick. And that is the introduction of 'strategic pause', let's call it.

You have a pool of pause time for the whole mission. Let's just say it's 3 minutes. Therefore, whenever you press a 'strategize' button, you can still rearrange things on the board and so on, but it drains your 'strategic time'. Once you drain it to the very bottom, this option disappears.

That would make the game easier, but would still give some time pressure. I myself don't like this solution, but it's still better than turn-based.

So in general: DON'T WORRY! We will change the game as needed to accommodate for as many playstyles and difficulty levels (!) as possible.

Oh, and remember that we can fine-tune the game even after the launch! Isn't it great? If community feedback is 'SLOW THAT ^*%& DOWN', then we will do it and problem solved laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kubas
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can adjust the length of the strategic pause depending on the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like XCom the Boardgame in solo mode. It really is great to play. The SU and SD crew were completely WRONG about its solo play.

Btw, the last time I played XCom you could halt the timer ANY time even in the more difficult modes ... which was not the case at its launch I remember.

That's TOO an advantage of an App based game: easy changes to timers.

Of course in Xcom you have a timed sequence and then a complete "take it easy" part for the resolution phase in which you as the solo player have all the time to combat the odds...

UBoot is not XCom of course, but I guess the timers can be easely adapted.

As to the critical comments about the App use: it is a kind of religion to the hardcore "Nay" sayers. The only thing I can say is that they miss the greatest games by refusing Apps in boardgames.

An App allows me to play great multi player games in solo mode like Descent2 or Mansions of Madness2. The App allows me to have great tools to do the bookkeeping in Flamme Rouge or play whenever I want a game in solo mode.

I am sure UBoot will be a great addition to these kind of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kubas
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
An App allows me to play great multi player games in solo mode like Descent2 or Mansions of Madness2.

That's why I'm big fan of app driven board games. I play them more frequently than ever. It's a way better experience then playing a computer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Muttah wrote:
Yes, I have actually thought of ... other tricks to slow things down if most solo testers find it too quick. And that is the introduction of 'strategic pause', let's call it.

Artur,

That's fantastic news! I'll pas sit on.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm completely sold on this game. I just want to know how it will run with 2P, since that is how I usually play (the wife and I). I occasionally get together with a group of other players, but not nearly as often as when I just play 2P with my wife.

Any ideas on how hard it would be for us to manage a 2P game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kubas
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Any ideas on how hard it would be for us to manage a 2P game?

You have to manage 8 sailors (or 16 if you count both watches). Not a big deal ;) Just a bit more challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, our first tests of the game were 2-player, with me and Bartek playing the hell of it to see if the system actually worked AND, back then the game was much faster, and we still managed.

Of course it comes with a little experience, but you probably wouldn't value a co-op game that lets you beat itself at the very first approach, right?

An efficient crew must by synchronized, and that requires some (happily spent) time playing the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muttah wrote:
Yes, our first tests of the game were 2-player, with me and Bartek playing the hell of it to see if the system actually worked AND, back then the game was much faster, and we still managed.

Of course it comes with a little experience, but you probably wouldn't value a co-op game that lets you beat itself at the very first approach, right?

An efficient crew must by synchronized, and that requires some (happily spent) time playing the game

Thanks Artur. The game looks great and I really appreciate the way you are running your KS - no exclusives!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Artur,

The last few posts begs the question whether or not continued playtesting will include blind playtesting? (If it already hasn't).

When getting interested players to playtest a game, the results will often lead to some very basic rules or strategy faults being unknowingly overlooked.

However, when doing blind playtesting - grabbing uninterested people "off the street" - the results will open a few eyes over gaping holes in the game's design and ways that certain uniformed strategies can break the game.

The premise falls under the "Can't see the forest for the trees" idiom. Playtesters who are pre-interested in the game and/or the subject material are inside the forest among the trees!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know where you are coming from on this, Barry, but I dare say that we have a rather solid track record of playtesting the game with uninformed groups

First there was UKGE in 2017, then there was Essen, and we also made a number of playtests at conventions, at a local boardgaming pub, and so on. All of these were held with people who saw the game for the first time in their lives And then there were the reviewers: They were sent the rules and were supposed to learn to play by themselves, etc. And it seems that it all went fine There were practically no rules questions and no negative comments on the game system. They did mention that it can get hectic, and that the game does not scale well yet, but those were the only complaints that I think I have heard

And there will, of course, be plenty more REAL blind testing, where we just invite a few people to read the rulebook, and then just watch them play the game without us interfering. Yeah, there will be a lot of this happening before the rules get sent to the printer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That was an excellent reply!

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.