Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13 days Cuban missile Crisis. I've only played this one a couple of times, but here's what does it for me on this game. Is it the deepest game? No. Is it the prettiest game? Nah. But it is a short game with a little meat to it. I'm always looking for games that will play in 25-30 minutes that don't look kiddy, and have some real decisions to make. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of kid games I enjoy them with my kids, but sometimes I want a grown up theme with a hint of meat to it in a quick time frame.

Now let me say this. Me and the wife play relatively fast. My philosophy is, I would rather play an hour game in an hour and play it 5 times, than study moves forever and bore people and only get two games in 5 hours time. I think I improve at games more thru more plays than thru AP. That being said, 13 days says 45 minutes on the box, but one could easily put this one down in 30 minutes if they just make quick decisive decisions for most of the game with occasional times of thinking a little longer. I digress. Back to my point.

There are nights where I'm tired after work and just want to play a thirty minute game with minimal setup, but want to do something a little more grown up and meaty than sushi go party. Love Sushi Go Party by the way. Have to make these qualifying statements, or wars begin and the main point gets lost. These games also are great for playing in between longer games to get those numbers up for logging my plays on BGG... What? did I just say that out loud? My list of games that fit this category of a quick weekday game with a little meat included; 7 wonders Duel, Roll for the Galaxy, Race for the Galaxy, Star Realms, and Castles of Burgundy the Card Game. But I'm always looking for more games to fit in this category. I think this one fits quite nicely. I would still be happy to get a couple more games with these prerequisites, but this one adds a nice rotation to my short setup, short game play, somewhat serious theme, and decent decisions without a ton of luck style games.

My only problem with 13 Days right now, is that the wife hasn't liked the couple of plays she has had so it hasn't hit the table since. But the box footprint is small enough that I can just wait her out. The siege is on. I will prevail. She'll play this game and like it, or else... At least I hope so.. Well that's my two sense.

Tell me what you all think. Why is 13 Days on your shelf, or what your feelings are about 13 Days?

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I fully concur with your view and incentive to keep the game on the shelf (when you're not playing it, of course!). You may even want to try 13 Minutes by the same designer for an even faster filler game and possibly their Iron Curtain game (although I have not tried that one myself). A couple other completely different suggestions are: Not Alone, and Thunder & Lighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
...I think I improve at games more thru more plays than thru AP....

So true! Someone should make a MB for this!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of microcosm games, one being Eminent Domain Microcosm. They are usually a bit to simplistic and short for me. I think 13 Days is probably streamlined enough for me. But how is the replayability on 13 Minutes? How many games have you played of it? Thunder and Lightning has been on the "when I got nothing else to buy" wishlist for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse my ignorance. What is an MB? And I'm pretty passionate about that point, so I might create an MB, depending on what that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance. What is an MB? And I'm pretty passionate about that point, so I might create an MB, depending on what that is.

Microbadge, the small pics below your avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Redd85 wrote:
I've played a couple of microcosm games, one being Eminent Domain Microcosm. They are usually a bit to simplistic and short for me. I think 13 Days is probably streamlined enough for me. But how is the replayability on 13 Minutes? How many games have you played of it? Thunder and Lightning has been on the "when I got nothing else to buy" wishlist for a while now.

I almost prefer 13 Minutes to 13 Days. I've played it as much as I've been able to (and more than 13 Days). It's not very deep, but I would not call it simplistic. I would play either one anytime given the opportunity (though, given how many unplayed games I have, and new games there are, these two may not priority).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.