Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into the game hobby in 2014, so I kind of skipped some of the primary games of the hobby and went straight for a lot of either more epic old games or newer stuff. Games like ticket to Ride, Catan, and 7 wonders weren't on my radar because I didn't want the tropes of the hobby, I wanted to move straight to hard core gamer status, Bloooooood Raaaaaaaage! Silly me. Oh how much I've grown up since then. modest (That's my Humble Face)

But that being said 7 Wonders Duel has been on my shelf for a couple of years now and has currently 26 plays vs. 8 months and 2 plays for it's predecessor. Alright, enough backstory already...

Bottom line is 7 wonders duel is great for it's time frame, hence it's well earned rating on BGG. The wife and I can finish a game of this in 18-30 minutes. It always is pretty tense and you feel a sense of accomplishment once your done. Now for me, the theme doesn't come through as much as I would like, but I don't see how they could have made it any better. I think the theme is better in 7 wonders because your civilization is building one wonder. This is not important tho. What's important is that for the time frame there aren't many games better.

Now I will admit, after you play it 10-15 times you start to get a baseline strategy that helps determine actions even with this game's variable setup. Some suggest that the expansion makes this one's replayability that much better, but I'm kind of rebelling against it because I got enough games with various mythos in them... I do kind of want it tho

That being said I'm still happy with just the base game because this one will usually hit the table 1-2 times every couple of months. With that rotation, I play it infrequent enough that it Nevers get old. But this game is perfect for a quick setup, short game type of night after work. It's worth the 25 bucks. I would say it's almost a board game collection essential.

But I maybe wrong... What do you guys think?

Check out other boardgames on my shelf at my geeklist.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
What's important is that for the time frame there aren't many games better.

Depends on who you ask. If you were to ask me, I think there are quite a few superior two player games for that time frame.

Redd85 wrote:
I would say it's almost a board game collection essential.

If I were to cull my collection to 25 games, 7WD would not make the cut. I'm not even 100% positive it would survive a cut down to 50. 7 Wonders, however, would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a counter point to David, me and my wife are up into over 90 plays of just the base game and still I would never turn down the offer to play 7WD. If I had to cull my collection, 7WD would be a definite stayer. There are other games I like in that time frame, but for us 7WD hits the sweet spot of "familar play, but still different routes" - in the sense that we can throw it on the table easily, because the rules just stay familar even with longer breaks in plays, but still there is enough variation in how it plays out that we never really tire of it. So there are longer breaks from time to time, but we always get back to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
I think 7 wonders have more replayability and it's a deeper game.7 Wonders Duel gets stale pretty quick for me, and if you don't take gamers seriously or just play very infrequently or not think much about it...i guess you could say its fine.
The problem is that unlike 7 wonders, 7W duel doesn't survive much deep analysis. Between two very thinking players the game quickly becomes stale, dull and without space for gameplay.

However with pantheon that changes, the game becomes a lot deeper and a lot higher replayability. Sadly at the price of all the elegance that 7 wonder duel offers, and that makes it so beloved by those who don't overanalyze games.

I have 7duel sitting on my shelf with the exp and i don't touch either anymore, unlike 7 wonders which is one of the most veteran games in my shelf that keeps hitting the table.
I'm considering selling 7W duel but im a collectionist ,and as I love 7 wonders, i have that OCD about having everything 7 W related.

But the reason 7duel stopped hitting the table is that the base game is not deep enough, and pantheon is not elegant enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Depends on who you ask. If you were to ask me, I think there are quite a few superior two player games for that time frame.

I'm interested. What two player games at that timeframe would you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus W
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Redd85 wrote:

May I ask you for some 2p suggestions?
My girlfriend and I mostly play 1 VS 1, and we currently own Rivals for Catan, Jäger und Späher, Lost Cities and 7 Wonders Duel (including 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon).
Of those listed, we like 7WD the most (around 100 plays), but we are always looking for new suggestions and game to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Fuchs
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Off the top of my head Raptor, Jaipur, Morels, Targi, Dragon's Hoard, etc... But 7WD is still our favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonMika wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Redd85 wrote:

May I ask you for some 2p suggestions?
My girlfriend and I mostly play 1 VS 1, and we currently own Rivals for Catan, Jäger und Späher, Lost Cities and 7 Wonders Duel (including 7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon).
Of those listed, we like 7WD the most (around 100 plays), but we are always looking for new suggestions and game to look at.

It can run a little longer (depending on if players take a long time thinking), but Castles of Burgundy is great at 2 players, runs about 45 minutes plus. Like 7 Wonders Duel, it involves picking things up and putting them in your area, and wondering "What is she going to pick up? Should I go ahead and pick that up?"

We also love Concordia at 2 players, also a little longer than 7WD.

I would proceed no further until you've figured out if Castles of Burgundy and Concordia belong in your 2 player portfolio. They are tops for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rainer and Jay,
When I say for the timeframe I am talking about 18-25 minutes for me and the wife to put down a game of 7 Wonders duel. Castles of Burgundy is in my top 10 games, and I actually find Targi to be a better game as well, but both of them take 45 minutes to an hour. So that is why they wouldn't go on my list for that timeframe. Jaipur and Lost Cities are both fine games, but not up to the level of any of the others for me. Now Raptor is one I really want to try, but have yet to play. I've played Concordia 4 players. I didn't love it. It's a fine game, but it didn't fully do it for me. I would be interested in trying it at two players though. Again, I have a lot of two player games I love WAY more than 7 Wonders Duel, but none that can do it better in 18-25 minutes. I mean Roll/Race for the Galaxy are right there with it. I play mostly 2 player games, and there are probably 40 games I would rather play at two players than 7 Wonders Duel, but none that can do it as good in that timeframe. Hope that clarifies things. But you did list a couple more games, like Morels, that I will check out. Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus,
While many of these are much longer than 7 Wonders Duel. Here are my favorite 2Player games in order. Really these are my favorite games, but I am not listing games like Blood Rage, Cry Havoc, Kemet, Scyth, Power Grid, etc that I prefer at higher player counts. Some of these are much heavier and longer than the ones you've listed, like Star Wars Rebellions, But I will list them anyways. The one with Asterisks will probably fit more towards the ones in your collection if those are your type of games. Hope this helps.

51st State: Master Set/Imperial Settlers
Terraforming Mars
The Castles of Burgundy *
Five Tribes
Android: Netrunner
Star Wars: Rebellion
Viticulture Essential Edition *
Marvel Legendary
Seasons
Mystic Vale
Lords of Waterdeep
7 Wonders Duel
Roll for the Galaxy
Race for the Galaxy
Clank in Space
Stone Age *
Automania
Targi *
BattleLore 2nd Edidtion
Memoir 44
Coal Baron the Card Game *
Star Realms
Castles of Burgundy the Card game *
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus W
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions!
I will have a look at them, and The Castles of Burgundy has been on our "Wanna buy" list for quite some time now, I think it's time to go shopping soon.

Also, as you write in your list Rick, we already have quite a number of games that play well with two players but can also be played with a larger number of people.
Probably some of your suggestions will join our collection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
Thanks Rainer and Jay,
When I say for the timeframe I am talking about 18-25 minutes for me and the wife to put down a game of 7 Wonders duel.

If I have to be strict on that 18-25 minutes, I would have the following two additional suggestions:

1. Odin's Ravens. Recent reprinted edition is gorgeous and it's a short, fun 2-player game, and also a classic.

2. Santorini. Give it a chance. When you are learning it and first playing it, you're thinking "This is kind of thinky-chessy." And maybe that's a turnoff (it is a great strategic abstract). BUT, and this is a big BUT, the god-cards turn it in a fun, short 2 player game. Once you've learned the basic strategy mechanics, the god-cards keep it from becoming too thinky-chessy. Because you should just randomly assign each of you a god-card (basically a rule-breaking god power for your side). They're so different and crazy that each game is different. And the "brain burn" is lessened because you're just trying new ways to use your new god power. It's not even necessarily balanced -- there's no "shame" in losing because it's a crazy combo you are just trying. If everybody takes his or her turn quickly, a short game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jay,
Yeah, Odin's Raven and Thunder and Lightning are two games that have been on the "really want to try/wishlist" for a while. But I haven't got around to them yet. Knowing that Odin's Raven is in that timeframe does make me want to revisit that purchase though.

As far as Santorini, I play it quite regularly with my daughter actually. I've also got the Golden Fleece expansion. It is a great game, and you can usually finish a game in even less than 18 minutes, especially if you get some of those volatile god powers a brewing. My only abstract games are Santorini and Onitama, unless you want to count Quantum as an abstract. But Santorini is by far my favorite abstract game. I'm really not a big abstract game player, but this one has a great theme and production. Thanks for the suggestions though. I will definitely have to give Odin's Raven a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichols
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding 7 Wonders versus 7 Wonders Duel: I think "horses for courses" is the applicable term in this case. My wife and I prefer Duel because we usually play games on our own, and while there is a 2-player variant of the original 7 Wonders it is (in our opinion) mediocre. Duel is specifically designed for two people. Conversely, Duel doesn't have a 3+ player version, and one of 7 Wonders's strengths is that it "scales up" very well - ceteris paribus, it doesn't take much longer to play with 6-7 people than with 3-4. I plan to keep (and play) both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.