Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is happening, our first TI4 PBF. I believe I have accrued enough data to give this a proper go. This will be an experiment as well to see that it works, and how further PBFs should be run, so we shall see how it goes.

Due to this, I also welcome any suggestions for how to improve these rules and so on.

Joining up
Please post your interest below to be included in the player list. You MUST have the following criteria in order to join:

• You own Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition or have permanent access to the game. This is to both satisfy copyright issues as well as to ensure you have access to the rulebook and individual card text.

• You are willing to participate in a game which might take a long time to play (we're talking months, maybe).

• You have at least some free time each day most days of the week (we don't want to delay turns too long).

• You are willing to accept a few bumps in the moderation as we figure out what exactly we need in order to play.

The first six sign-ups will be accepted into the game, and then the game will start with race selection and board setup.

Race Selection
Once players have been signed up, seating order will be randomised and I will randomly provide each player with two races to choose from. Players will publicly announce their chosen race starting from the Speaker and moving clockwise.

I will then create avatars for each player based on chosen race.

Game rules
This will be a 10 point game using the full rules (from the RRG).

All in-game discussion should be public. No game-related communication will occur between players outside of this thread unless you want to show them a promissory note you wish to trade in a hidden manner, in which case, you should go through me via PM.

Board Setup

The board will be setup using the following board:

S shows the position of the Speaker, numbers 2-6 show the location of the other 5 players and the other tile names will be used when setting up the board.

Players will be told which tiles they have in hand via PM. In the correct turn order (S, then clockwise to 6, then 6 again and anti-clockwise to S, etc.), players will announce which of their tiles is going in which position assuring the rings are formed in the correct order and so on.

During this process, I will post updated versions of the map for players to see as the tiles are placed.

Links to images of each tile can be found at the end of this post.

Map and Score
I will periodically post the current map showing unit positions on the board. I will also include in text the Scores of each race and the available Public Objectives, along with which races have scored each one.

Player boards
I expect the player boards to be indicated in the following manner:

• An image showing the player sheet with all gained unit upgrades in place. I will maintain these for the group. This may possibly be in the form of a PDF document of all 6 races, depending which method is easiest to maintain.

• All other possessions will be indicated in text in a form similar to the following:

Player Info: Xxcha / Yellow
Command Pools: 3 Tactics, 4 Fleet, 2 Strategy (or 3T 4F 2S)
Goods: 3 Commodities, 7 Trade Goods (or 3C 7TG)
Owned Techs: Graviton Laser System, Neural Motivator, Plasma Scoring, PDS II
Action Cards: 3
Secret Objectives: 1 incomplete, Monopolize Production
Promissory Notes: 5
Planets: Archon Ren 2/3 ; Archon Tau 1/1 ; Arnor 2/1 ; Lor 1/2 ; Saudor 2/2 ; Wellon Y/1/2 (Struckout planets are exhausted, first number is resources, second is influence, letter if present is tech specialty: RYBG)
Other: Any assigned Laws etc.

Turns

I will provide some avatar images at the start of the game based on chosen races. When you are doing anything regarding your turn, or regarding transactions, you should lead with this avatar. Other posts can be made without the avatar to discuss other concepts or make deals without transactions.

Your turns will look something like this:

Strategy Phase:

Simply post your choice of card when it is your turn to pick one. If there are any lingering effects of a Law passed in the prior round, perform them.

Action Phase:

- Strategy Actions: Announce what you are doing for the primary action, then each other player in clockwise order announces if they are performing the secondary action.

- Component Actions: Announce the card and what you are doing with it. If this were an Action card, any other player with action cards should then announce whether things should continue before the next turn is taken (to allow for Sabotage). I may react on behalf of players to help speed this up if necessary.

- Tactical Actions: These need to be split into several stages, so may take some time to complete. Here is the process that should be followed:

-- Activation: Announce the activated system. If it has units owned by another player and they have action cards or an ability that could affect activation, wait for them to announce if they are doing anything.
-- Movement: Announce movement paths of all units, including playing of Action cards such as Flank Speed. Again, wait for opponent to play appropriate cards/abilities if applicable. Also wait for any player that has Space Cannon units that can attack the system before resolving Space Cannon Offense.
-- Space Combat: Each round (including a round 0 for Anti-Fighter Barrage) will need to be OK'd by both players, which should come as you indicate which units are assigned hits. Announce your intended retreat for the next round when assigning hits too. If you wish, you can indicate (either in this thread or via PM to me) you wish all further combat to be automatically completed (you no longer want to interrupt with cards and your destruction pattern for ships is clear). If both players do this, we will simply finish all the remaining rolls in one post rather than pausing after each round.
-- Invasion: Should work similarly to Space Combat
-- Production: List the unit/s that are producing and how you are paying for the costs.

Status Phase:

Indicate scored Objectives (or lack thereof) in initiative order. The rest of the process will be automated.

Agenda Phase:

I will reveal the new Agenda card. Any players that wish to Veto/Quash should do so ASAP. Riders should also be indicated after it seems nobody wishes to Veto (they will be returned to hand if a late Veto comes in). Once it's clear that all pre-Vote cards are played, Voting can start with your posts indicating which planets you are using and your choice.

Other Etiquette:
I will be maintaining the decks and such and PM you the details of which cards you draw. I can provide info on your hidden cards at any time if queried.

The contents of the discard piles will be public information and you can look through these at any time by request (preferably in the thread).

Other rules will be added here as we figure out how to play the game in PBF format.

List of planet tiles:

Blue:
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Red:
39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would definitely be excited to be considered for the player pool. I have TI4 and am always looking for more ways to play and more reasons to open the box! Let me know what else you need from me to proceed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Are you playing as well, or just administering the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will just be moderating. Managing the decks and stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested. Count me in for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try this out. Not confident that everyone involved will actually stick with it all the way through but I will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm confident I will stick through! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's 4 out of 6 places taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be interesting. I never get to use my game table because I play at my local game group instead, so I will have the game set up in my game room so I can look over the board as we go and update it as people take their turns. I'm curious how fast combat will go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avery Bailey
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Or how long you get to use Sabotage Cards, Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnalignedMagi wrote:
I'm curious how fast combat will go.

As am I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there’s still a spot, count me in, Clipper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avemo3 wrote:
Or how long you get to use Sabotage Cards, Etc.

I'm hoping the player that is affected will indicate they do not want to play such a card pretty quickly much of the time.

I'm wondering what else to put the time limit at, though. I'm thinking the timeout has to be either 8 or 12 hours, so people have time to sleep and so on, without delaying things more than necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:
If there’s still a spot, count me in, Clipper.

You're in.

There is only one slot remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose how you want to run it, but other TI Pbf s I have been has been usually a day or they will have a pause to announce if there will be action cards played before proceeding.

Secondaries for strategy cards are usually floated so people can counting every to take turns and by your next turn you have to take the secondary or pass it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I take the last slot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
negmon wrote:
You can choose how you want to run it, but other TI Pbf s I have been has been usually a day or they will have a pause to announce if there will be action cards played before proceeding.

We can make it a day to start and see how that goes.

Quote:
Secondaries for strategy cards are usually floated so people can counting every to take turns and by your next turn you have to take the secondary or pass it

I think the timing might be more important in TI4, so I will keep it restricted to taking secondaries or not before the next action begins.

However, you did remind me that I wanted to mention that future actions can be taken on things like secondaries. I will even allow things like "I will take the secondary iff Player X takes it." (iff = if and only if)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Walsh wrote:
Can I take the last slot?

Indeed you can. I shall start randomising!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here is the player seating order:

Speaker: Peter
2: Thayne
3: Jason
4: Paul
5: Andrew
6: Avery

I am sending each of you your choice of two races now. Please wait for your turn to post your selection (or PM your selection to me if you are going to bed or something).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve PM’d my selection to minimise delay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rise and shine Galaxy - I'll be taking the Yssaril Tribes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Bennett
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I'd love to lurk on this game too if that's possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some programmed selections which I shall now reveal:

Thayne chooses: Federation of Sol

Jason chooses: The Embers of Muatt

Paul chooses: The Universities of Jol-Nar

Andrew, it's your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyBart wrote:
Yea, I'd love to lurk on this game too if that's possible.

Of course!

Feel free to comment on the goings-on too, provided you stay away from providing any hints to other players or to manipulate their strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [158] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.