United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'm right because I'm RIGHT!
badge
Christian Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a ton of games... and I like to bling them out! Sometimes though, some games fall by the wayside and sit on my shelf unplayed for over a year. Either I bought it due to hype and never really got into it, or it got a lot of play but now I have new favorites.

But many of them have upgraded parts, organizers, painted figures, promos, etc., so they are a bit of a treasure to me all the same. It's not really about money; it's about space. Other than board games, I tend to purge things that go unused. I'm a hoarder when it comes to board games though.

I think to myself that as soon as I get rid of a game, somebody will want to play it. I envision my great-grandchildren finding this treasure after I'm dead and telling stories about the awesome games great-grandpa had. And yes, I envision a day where some game becomes a collectors item and I am the envy of the gaming community.

Anybody else like this, or is it just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love selling games that aren't getting played. It feels freeing. It also helps pay off new purchases or old purchases that still need to be handled.

I do not bling out my games because I would rather just buy new games. I don't really play many games enough times to make the bling worthwhile. I did buy the broken token organizer for terraforming Mars but that actually makes the game better. The only other thing I do is sleeve pretty much everything. This is a good investment, imo, because it protects the game for longer lifespan and better value for resale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navybrandt wrote:
I have a ton of games... and I like to bling them out! Sometimes though, some games fall by the wayside and sit on my shelf unplayed for over a year. Either I bought it due to hype and never really got into it, or it got a lot of play but now I have new favorites.

But many of them have upgraded parts, organizers, painted figures, promos, etc., so they are a bit of a treasure to me all the same. It's not really about money; it's about space. Other than board games, I tend to purge things that go unused. I'm a hoarder when it comes to board games though.

I think to myself that as soon as I get rid of a game, somebody will want to play it. I envision my great-grandchildren finding this treasure after I'm dead and telling stories about the awesome games great-grandpa had. And yes, I envision a day where some game becomes a collectors item and I am the envy of the gaming community.

Anybody else like this, or is it just me?

It is partly because you go through the trouble of blinging them out and making them more personal. You also realize some games go OOP, so you are probably hesitant about getting rid of something and not being able to reaquire the same game in the future for a reasonable price should you want it back for some reason.

I too have trouble parting with games, but some of my trouble stems from I'm not sure how I can get rid of games in a simple manner other than donating them. Trading and selling games seems like it'd be too much of a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all of my games because I know someday I will want to play them. I don't really care about cost benefit ("I paid $50 for this game and only played it twice in two years . . . therefore, I must sell it"). I'd rather hang onto it because it gives me one additional option when I'm trying to decide what to play. I'm sure I have games in my collection that I haven't played in 3 or 4 years (maybe more). But they aren't going anywhere because I'm sure I will play them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't sell my games, I may trade but most likely the only way I would get rid of a game is if I knew someone who would play the crap out of it and I as not. Then I would sell it to them for a dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Johnson
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...My husband and I have this problem. Bought more games than we have time to play - we'll go through and try to "purge", but then we look over the game and mechanics and say "We might like that" and it goes back on the shelf! Even games we've played and felt "meh" about, we put it back on the shelf because so-n-so really enjoyed it and they might want to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sell games all the time, just because we’re really space-constrained. Once you get over the hump or realizing that new games are coming out all the time and most games are designed to be relatively disposable, it’s not that hard. The number of really good games that are going to draw play 10 years later or whatever is vanishingly small, a couple a year maybe. The games I have in my collection from 2008 that still get play are: Pandemic, Witch’s Brew, Lost Cities: The Boardgame, and Successors 3rd. That’s about it. I still own a few other titles from 2008 for various reasons but they haven’t gotten actual play.

However, my impression is that in the last 5-10 years the secondary market for almost all boardgames has really gotten difficult for sellers. It used to be (although this was a while ago now) that you could pretty reliably sell used games in excellent condition that were less than 5 years old for about about a third of MSRP (so two thirds, roughly, of the lowest online price) at decent flea markets or online, although shipping is obviously problematic online. Outside of a few niches, and even with most sellers enforcing a MAP, I’ve found older games have become very hard to move at any kind of reasonable price. Games that are 10+ years old, even really good ones, are incredibly hard to move. I’m guessing it’s a combination of the almost insane pace of new game releases and the further splintering of the hobby. I definitely buy significantly fewer games now due to a combination of difficulty of resale and MAPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
Canada
flag msg tools
Some interesting thoughts in this thread.

Speaking for myself, I try to sell off anything that I don't feel too sentimental about-- even then, I have to examine my feelings more closely to make sure I really want it. I live in a one bedroom apartment with my partner, so there's only so much space.

But I can understand wanting to hang onto games, or envisioning some future person seeing the value in my ownership of them. I'll echo the response from elsewhere in the thread though: if I sell a game, I know the person I sold it to at least intends to play it. One less way I'm rolling the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was discussing with my wife about selling some of my games, she was no way, we have to play more. OK, who would not want to love a woman like that. In all seriousness I am picky what goes into my collection so I may purchase a few games, but I do like fleshing them out with expansions and better quality components. I am at the point where I am seriously considering a 3D Printer. As I see what is on Etsy and I think I could do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been steadily selling off old games. Sometimes a game can hold value, which is nice. But a lot of them do not. For me, I will sell some of the older games for as little as $10. If I cannot get it sold for even that, I give them away to friends who show any interest in them, or eventually they go to Goodwill.

I think anyone who decides selling older games is something they want to pursue has to decide what the minimum reward vs. effort expended needs to be. I draw the line at $10. I do cringe when the cost to ship is greater than the price of the game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
For me getting rid of games is quite difficult. Not only is it difficult to sell them in Colombia where I live, meaning I had to basically give them away, but I also see games as appealing/aesthetic/collectible objects in and off themselves (like books), so there are many I want to keep them even if I don't play them.

Perhaps the most glaring example is all the stuff I have for Warhammer 40000 (both miniatures and rulebooks) which I will probably never get rid of, even though I have not played since the early 2000s.

That being said, there are a few games I have given away because did not met my expectations (like Okko: Era of Asagiri, which I gave to my younger cousins) or were replaced by other games (like Star Realms, which for me was completely replaced by Hero Realms, so I gave it to my older cousin).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to sell it, generally speaking nobody wants to buy it. That said, I just got my copy of Gloomhaven for free (OK not free, but zero cash) because of the store credit I got selling about 15 games at auction.

Pete (mostly sells duplicate copies of games, though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
I only sell locally to people I know who want the game. This means I only sell a small number of games. Most games are harvested for parts and then recycled. I tend to change components in games, so a larger attempt at selling is not practical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hudson Reed
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I save everything too. If I wanted it bad enough to buy it, I'll likely find reason to like it again even if I haven't taken it out for awhile. Sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised getting back into an old game. It will be better than you remembered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.