Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received a promotional email from Mayday Games stating that you could buy 3 packs of cards sleeves and get one free. I usually buy standard packs from them and noting there was no restrictions stated, I purchased quite a few. No promotion was applied and when I contacted them they said that their computer system only allowed a maximum of 1 free pack per purchase (conveniently stated no where). I was just curious if anyone else caught this or experienced a similar issues/frustration. Maybe it's time to start getting sleeves from somewhere else. Disappointed that even within the gaming hobby people resort to deceiving tactics such as this for business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only needed to buy a few sleeves, so I just bought 3, got 1 free.

It still took me a while to figure out how to actually apply the promotion, and it was annoying navigating the small pop-up to find the sleeve size that I wanted. All kinds of weird specialty sleeves appeared first; I almost thought the promotion had some kind of restriction on the free sleeves until I realized I needed to scroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Mayday has a terrible reputation going back at least a decade. They've long been known as the lowest of the low.

And yes, I believe I've come across this specific issue before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it said buy 3 get one free, it doesn't automatically mean buying multiples of three also provide 1 free per multiple.

I get it, you made an assumption, likely based off experience with similar promotions, but I'm not sure I agree there is a foul here. Seems Mayday just elected to play as per the rules as written.

As far as you have written the offer, it has been honoured as stated.

I'm also not sure I'd agree it was deceiving, just because you thought something may have been implied, it doesn't mean any intentional trickery has occurred.

Anyway, fair enough if it's spoiled your relationship with them. I'm just not sure I personally would be crying foul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheri P.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avid Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb

If it was the MLK sale their email stated, "Buy any 3 packs of sleeves and get 1 pack of sleeves for free!". Which isn't the same as for every 3 you purchase you get 1 free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had gone in thinking it'd be buy 3 get 1 free as in 1 free pack for every 3 packs purchased. But, after I added about 12 packs and saw how it worked, I skipped picking up the sleeves. It was probably a fine deal if you only needed 4 packs of sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK about this specific situation but in general, if it looks like I can abuse an offer like the one stated, I assume that'sNOT how it works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Standard practice on buy x get y free deals is to state the limit in writing in the ad. Otherwise, no limit is assumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in no manner a fan of Mayday, but I still have to completely agree with you here, Trent. Well stated.

Bearhug78 wrote:
If it said buy 3 get one free, it doesn't automatically mean buying multiples of three also provide 1 free per multiple.

I get it, you made an assumption, likely based off experience with similar promotions, but I'm not sure I agree there is a foul here. Seems Mayday just elected to play as per the rules as written.

As far as you have written the offer, it has been honoured as stated.

I'm also not sure I'd agree it was deceiving, just because you thought something may have been implied, it doesn't mean any intentional trickery has occurred.

Anyway, fair enough if it's spoiled your relationship with them. I'm just not sure I personally would be crying foul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
Standard practice on buy x get y free deals is to state the limit in writing in the ad. Otherwise, no limit is assumed.

+1 to this.
The state I'm from is very specific about retailers needing to define a limit, otherwise none is assumed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.