9 Posts

Necromunda: Underhive» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob here :) can someone help explain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark S
United States
flag msg tools
like i said i am pretty new at this game so please bare with me. the rules for choosing a crew in a campaign specifically the custom selection method are confusing to me they mention "numbers in bracket show the maximum number of fighters that can be included in the crew. if this random number for example D3+4 this should be determined before the crew is chosen. if there is no number in brackets there is no maximum size to the crew.

what are the brackets they are talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, confusing. And, not just for you adorable Noob's. Should say "numbers in parentheses." And, if there are no "numbers in brackets," I take that to mean use the whole crew. In which case, random selection method is unnecessary. And, in any case, IIRC correctly, you always get the entire gang for every scenario. If they aren't set up initially, they come on as reinforcements. However, the "Recovery" result on the Lasting Injuries Table is prevalent. So, it's not hard to not have all fighter unavailable for a battle.

There's some other gems in the campaign. The opportunities to "Collect Income" from Turf and Special Territories is oddly and awkwardly described. Acquiring Special Territories is very situational and requires a very good die roll. If you don't sit down with everyone and go over the specifics of post-battle actions of Leaders and Champions, and how this affects income, rare items, healing Critical Injuries, etc. Then, don't be surprised if everyone has their own unique version of post-battle events. It's pretty specific, but hard to discern, with overlapping concepts. And, to thoughtfully eliminate the need (or requirement) to convert models by removing weapons, they made it where you can't. So, a fighter is stuck with weapons once he gets them. So, arming a fighter with an interim weapon until you can afford the one you want, means you can't give it away later. For example, my Champion with a Grenade Launcher previously had a shotgun. I'm using a different model for the GL, but don't want to glue a shotgun onto the model. So, I just WYSIWYG(le), and pretend he doesn't have a shotgun, though he paid for it and it's reflected in his cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark S
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for the explanation this helped tremendously

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
And, to thoughtfully eliminate the need (or requirement) to convert models by removing weapons, they made it where you can't. So, a fighter is stuck with weapons once he gets them. So, arming a fighter with an interim weapon until you can afford the one you want, means you can't give it away later. For example, my Champion with a Grenade Launcher previously had a shotgun. I'm using a different model for the GL, but don't want to glue a shotgun onto the model. So, I just WYSIWYG(le), and pretend he doesn't have a shotgun, though he paid for it and it's reflected in his cost.

I'm also new to Necromunda, but was interested in the comment you made. Would magnets be an option for weapon switches? I haven't looked closely enough at the minis, but wondering if magnets combined with a small bit of metal (paper clip ends) in the hands holding a weapon might work for swapping out weapons? Seems silly to have to buy/use new minis just for a weapons swap each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not silly if you make your money selling more miniatures to people...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psychopanda wrote:
ZombieMark wrote:
And, to thoughtfully eliminate the need (or requirement) to convert models by removing weapons, they made it where you can't. So, a fighter is stuck with weapons once he gets them. So, arming a fighter with an interim weapon until you can afford the one you want, means you can't give it away later. For example, my Champion with a Grenade Launcher previously had a shotgun. I'm using a different model for the GL, but don't want to glue a shotgun onto the model. So, I just WYSIWYG(le), and pretend he doesn't have a shotgun, though he paid for it and it's reflected in his cost.

I'm also new to Necromunda, but was interested in the comment you made. Would magnets be an option for weapon switches? I haven't looked closely enough at the minis, but wondering if magnets combined with a small bit of metal (paper clip ends) in the hands holding a weapon might work for swapping out weapons? Seems silly to have to buy/use new minis just for a weapons swap each time.

I think this is a possibility if you're an expert/experienced modeller. If you're not I think you'll struggle to find a small enough and powerful enough magnet to not make the resultant miniature look like Frankenstein's Monster. But I've anyone's results doing this yet, so perhaps there's a chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand, the designer's decision to not allow weapons swaps was meant to remove the requirement for weapons swaps. So, I'm not dissing them. Just saying every yin has its yang. I like the way they went here. And, as much as I worship at the altar of WYSIWYG, I don't offer human sacrifices there. I think there is a difference between nice to do, and THOU SHALT DO, OR ELSE!

I am NOT a magnet guy, except for larger models like Dreadnaughts. And, even then, I'm not very happy with magnets. So, proceed to read with caution.

The Escher and Goliath gangs are the first releases. Both, in the box set. I've built and painted both sets. Lovely models. Fun to paint. They go together well, with grooves and slots for the Goliath's arms, so magnetizing would require a lot of cutting and drilling. Doable, I guess.

The Eschers' arms are more flexible, but much less substantial. I think it would be a real chore to magnetize them. Goliath hands at the wrist are larger. Escher's are not. Honestly, you CAN get an extra sprue or two with five FIGS, with redundant weapons, off ebay. Going price is $20 EACH sprue (maybe less). Your pals with the boxset might not want either or both gangs anyway. You might want more than ten gangers anyway.

Just being practical. Not trying to discourage anyone. Also, rumors say Forge World will put out weapons upgrades next month. So waiting to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Decar wrote:
psychopanda wrote:
ZombieMark wrote:

I think this is a possibility if you're an expert/experienced modeller. If you're not I think you'll struggle to find a small enough and powerful enough magnet to not make the resultant miniature look like Frankenstein's Monster. But I've anyone's results doing this yet, so perhaps there's a chance!

I've experimented a bit on magnetizing my Goliath minis. I only tried it on the shoulder-arm connection and I got mixed results. Drilling the holes and glueing the magnets was not hard and the pieces fit in very well afterwards. However, the 2mm magnets I used are just not strong enough to hold the pieces together if the figure is bumped with any force. During standard gameplay, the figure is probably going to come apart a few times per game as you move it about or lay it down for pinned effects. I am not sure if I can get my hands on stronger magnets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:
psychopanda wrote:
ZombieMark wrote:
... thoughtfully eliminate the need (or requirement) to convert models by removing weapons...)

Would magnets be an option for weapon switches?

I think ... you'll ... find a small enough and powerful enough magnet... so perhaps there's a chance!

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DH101

You're welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.