Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero: Kali (with card art) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey all! I love sentinels of the multiverse, and I was inspired by the fantastic custom decks here to start making my own. This first one is codename: Kali. She is a consistent tank with good damage potential, who scales up by putting 'mutation' ongoings into play. Each Mutation has a passive effect and a power.

This is the second version of the character. Spoilers under each card description will describe changes from first version.

BACKGROUND
Strange things first came into Shruti’s life when she reached a late puberty growth spurt. She got very tall, gained muscle mass easily, and scabs from injuries began growing over as thick plates. It was then that her parents were forced to confess to prenatal experiments they had undergone for money. The organization that they had dealt with would soon come to collect on their investment.

The girl was willingly turned over to M.I.A., a secret agency that investigates and neutralizes dangerous phenomena. Working for this group under the codename Kali, she quickly learned that her body would uncontrollably and permanently adapt to resist harm. And as her body mutated, she became more self conscious and envious of a normal life. Her greatest hope became for the agency's scientists to help her find a way to control the mutations before she becomes completely monstrous.

Codename: Kali
33 hp
Rapid mutation- power: Reveal cards from the top of your deck until a ‘mutation’ card is revealed. Put that card into play and shuffle the rest back into the Hero deck.

Defeated:
-Destroy an Ongoing card.
-Destroy an Environment card.
-Destroy a target with 2 or fewer hp.

Ongoing, mutation (x7 total)
Indurated carapace (x1)
Reduce melee and projectile damage dealt to Kali by 1.
Power: Kali deals 1 target 3 melee damage.

Insulating Mucus (x1)
Reduce cold, infernal, and toxic damage dealt to kali by 1.
Power: kali Deals up to 3 non-hero targets 1 irreducible toxic damage each.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(Changed from ‘Power: Kali deals 2 non-Hero targets 2 toxic damage each.’ This power now give Kali a more regular source of irreducible damage.This may be too strong, as I can find very little multi target irreducible damage in the game. It may also be too weak, as irreducible damage is fairly situational. I considered a version that reduced damage dealt by targets damaged this way, but it would make Kali a bit more book-keeping heavy than want her to be, and I feel like she has enough damage mitigation already.)

Thunderous Headcrest (x1)
Reduce lightning, psychic, and sonic damage dealt to Kali by 1.
Power: Discard the top card of a non-Hero deck. Kali deals each target in that deck’s play area 1 sonic damage.
(Unchanged: Considered Increase from 1 to 2 sonic damage, but it makes her AoE too strong when combined with new version of noncandescent Dermis, below.)

Noncandescent Dermis (x1)
Reduce energy, fire, and radiant damage dealt to Kali by 1.
Power: Kali deals 2 fire damage to each target already dealt damage by Kali this turn.
(Changed from: ‘Power: Kali deals 1 target 1 melee damage. Kali deals 1 fire damage to each target dealt damage by Kali this turn.’ Changed to clarify that only targets already damaged this turn, so that it doesn’t include further damage dealt. I kind of miss her having a power that did 2 instances of 1 damage to a target, but this version is a satisfying ‘finisher’. I played around with this card dealing 3 damage, but her AoE damage got ridiculous with this card, which is why her multiple target damage cards are so low.)

Adaptive Physiology (x1)
Reduce damage dealt to Kali by environment cards by 2.
Power: you may destroy one of your ongoing cards. If one of your ongoing cards has been destroyed since the end of your last turn, kali deals one non-hero target 4 damage of any type you choose.
(Changed from ‘Kali is immune to damage from environment cards. Power: Kali deals 1 target 2 damage of any type you choose. Kali regains 1 hp.’ The passive was changed because I thought it was a bit too strong. The power was changed to help make it unique from other damage cards, gives it a very situational but mighty effect. Presently, it can be used to destroy an unwanted task, punish ongoing destruction, reward task shifts, and overall just hit a little harder when you want to. May change to ‘Power: Hero targets are immune to damage from environment cards until the start of your next turn.’ but I do like keeping her powers mostly destructive.)

Extra arms (x1)
You may use an extra power during your power phase.
Power: Draw 1 card.
(Changed from ‘The first time Kali deals damage each turn, you may discard a card. If a card is discarded this way, Kali deals that damage to an additional target. Power: draw 2 cards discard 1 card.’ I was very sad to change this passive ability, but giving an extra power just seems to work better for the deck as it has become. The changes to ‘inescapable grasp’ and ‘tear open’ were the clinchers. My biggest problem with this change is that it makes this mutation almost mandatory, which is not quite what I wanted for any mutation. The power changed because I felt it was more streamlined by not slowing you down with an immediate discard decision, this deck version has less discard overall, and the passive is strong enough that the power can be weaker.)

Massive Stature (x1)
Whenever Kali would be dealt exactly 1 damage, prevent that damage.
Power: Destroy a target with 3 or fewer hp.
(Changed from ‘Power: Destroy target with 2 or fewer hp’. As people stated, it was too weak and situational before. if I go crazy and universally increase the strength of her powers, I’m considering changing it to ‘destroy each non-Hero target with 2 or fewer hp.’)

Ongoing, task (x 9 total)
Bodyguard (x3)
When this card enters play, destroy all other Task cards. Play this card next to a Hero target other than Kali. Redirect damage dealt to that target to Kali, other than damage it does to itself. Reduce damage redirected this way by 1. When this card is destroyed, that target regains 3 hp and you may use a power.
(Changed from ‘When this card enters play, destroy all other Task cards. Play this card next to a Hero target. Redirect damage dealt to that target to Kali. When this card is destroyed, that target regains 3 hp.’ Added a few buffs to make it more appealing. Added many clarifications because I don’t want her to protect characters from self damage ongoings and such. Also increased healing to target from 2 to 3. This card mitigates a bit more damage now, but remains fairly situational.)

Recuperate (x3)
When this card enters play, destroy all other Task cards. Reduce damage dealt to Kali by 1. Reduce damage dealt by Kali by 1. At the start of your turn, Kali regains 1 hp, then you may draw a card or play a card.
(Changed from ‘may play an ongoing card’ to ‘may play a card’. The reduced damage means playing an extra attack card is already kind of a waste, and this version allows you to take advantage of some of her other utility cards while leaving the option to replace the Task without momentum loss.)

Vendetta (x3)
when this card enters play, destroy all other task cards. Play this card next to a non-Hero target. that target counts as kali's nemesis. If that target is not a character card, increase damage kali deals to it by 1. When that target is destroyed, draw 2 cards and destroy this card.
(Changed from ‘When this card enters play, destroy all other Task cards. Play this card next to a non-Hero target. Increase damage dealt by Kali to that target by 1. When that target is destroyed, draw 2 cards and destroy this card.’ This card has become a bit more interesting and experimental. Now, she makes a target her nemesis, making it feel more like a Vendetta than before. By suggestion, I tried various versions that gave her extra power uses, but it made the task become mandatory.)

One-shot (x24 total)
Improvised weapon (x3)
Kali deals 1 target 3 melee damage. One target dealt damage this way deals another target you choose 3 melee damage.
(Change: Increased each instance of damage by 1. I wanted to make this card a bit more exciting. 3 damage to 2 different targets on a one-shot seemed fine when compared to other bruiser characters, and the ability to take advantage of unique Villain and Environment damage abilities is fun but extremely situational.)

Inescapable Grasp (x3)
Whenever Kali deals damage to a target other than a character card this turn, that target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.
Use a power now.
(Changed name from ‘inescapable grab’, because it sounds cooler. Changed from ‘Kali deals 1 target 2 melee damage. Targets dealt damage this cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.’ The change to only prevent damage to non-character cards is much weaker, but the card still has a very strong niche. Feels more dynamic with the extra power use and applying the effect to all damage in a turn.)

Tear Open (x3)
Whenever Kali deals damage to a target this turn, damage dealt to that target becomes irreducible until the start of your next turn.
Kali deals 1 target 2 irreducible melee damage.
(Changed from ‘Kali deals 1 target 2 irreducible melee damage. Until the start of your next turn, damage dealt to each target dealt damage this way is irreducible.’ The change to make damage dealt to each target damaged this turn gives you some interesting options.)

Hurl Debris (x3)
Choose one card in any trash and shuffle it into its appropriate deck. Kali deals 1 target 4 projectile damage.
(Unchanged. I considered adding environmental or ongoing destruction, but I honestly like the pure high damage efficiency tacked onto a silly unique effect.)

Movie Night (x2)
Each player draws 1 card. Each Hero target regains 1 hp.

Sudden Evolution (x4)
Search your deck or Trash for an Ongoing card and put it into play. Shuffle your deck if you searched it.
If a Mutation is put into play this way, use the power printed on that card immediately. If a Task is put into play this way, destroy one ongoing or environment card.
(Updated, changed from: ‘Destroy one ongoing or environment card. Search your deck or trash for an ongoing card and put it into play. Shuffle your deck if you searched it. You may use an additional power this turn.’ Loved the suggestion for a mutation played to use its power immediately. I decided I wanted to leave the option to put a task into play this way, and I gave doing so a strong bonus.)

Primordial Acclimation (x4)
Choose a damage type. Until the start of your next turn, Kali is immune to damage of the chosen type, and all damage dealt by Kali is of the chosen type. Play a card or use a power now.

Rancorous Incarnation (x2)
Discard any number of cards. You may use X additional powers this turn, where X is 1 plus the number of cards discarded this way.
(Unchanged. This card may need a redesign considering she has access to several more ‘use extra power’ cards than she did before. Of note, attacking with all of her mutations deals (3+1+1+4+3=) 12 total damage to one target, and (1+1+3=) 5 total damage to many targets. That single target damage increases to 17 total with Vendetta in play. I think it’s fair to compare this to expatriates (4+2+2+2+1=) 11 total damage to one target, and (2+1) 3 damage to several targets. Kali pays cards for her extra powers, but her damage is slightly higher to much higher. I can’t decide if this is fair.)

VARIANT HERO CARDS
Kali: Reborn
30 hp
Controlled Renewal- Power: Destroy one of your Ongoing cards. Search your Deck or Trash for an Ongoing card and put it into play. Shuffle your Trash back into your Deck.

Kali: Immortal Wanderer
31 hp
Responsive Adaptation- Power: The next time Kali would be dealt damage, reduce that damage by 1. Then, you may search your deck for a ‘mutation’ card that reduces damage of that type and put it into play. Shuffle your deck if you searched it.

Individual card art in google drive, below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bx-ICOFArGqbFoSan--UvZgg9j...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
reserve for play suggestions and notes

DECK STRATEGY
Kali's deck has 2 kinds of unique Ongoing card types: Mutations and Tasks. Mutations each offer a minor passive effect, usually defensive, and also have a power, usually doing damage. There is only one copy of each of the 7 mutations in the deck. Tasks are mutually exclusive modes that change the way she is impacting the game. When designing Tasks, I wanted to be sure that you did not lose too much momentum changing them, so there are benefits to them leaving play and extra ways to put them into play.

The basic strategy with this deck is to quickly put the defensive mutations into play that reduce the most common damage type dealt by the Villain. From there, you can choose mutations that have the powers that help you the best, and play tasks to solve problems as they come up. Many of her one-shots are pretty strong, but most of her combos are pretty minor.

One of her basic combos revolves around the 'extra arms' mutation. Extra arms passive ability allows you to discard a card to hit an extra enemy with damage, and some of her one-shots do something unique to each target damaged that way. Examples: Tear open make damage irreducible to each damaged target, Inescapable grab prevents each target damaged from doing damage until next turn, and noncandescent dermis' power deals 1 fire damage to each target dealt damage by Kali this turn.

Primordial acclimation seems pretty situational, but it can double the chances for immunity to matter when you have a 'bodyguard' in play on an ally.

Vendetta is great to put on small problems early for card draw, and is great to put on the big villain when it's time to finish them off.

Recuperate is strong for a 'defensive mode' type card, but I always find myself not using defensive modes on other characters and wanted to make it worthwhile. It's great when you just need to take non-damaging turns to set yourself up, and you can replace it with another mode at the start of your turn without losing momentum.

Once you have a few mutations in play, you can take advantage of some of the one-shots that let you use an extra power or play extra cards. Kali can slowly build up cards in her hand with extra arms, movie nights, Vendettas, and Recuperates. You can either lose these extra cards with extra plays or damaging extra targets, or can dump them all at once with Rancorous incarnation for a big attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
The art looks really nice, and the deck looks good!

I'll have more specific notes soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this hero, but right now the letters seem blurred to me (even when I set the image on bgg to original)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Updated. For some reason the resolution died when I formatted the cards onto pages. I fixed it and replaced the images on the first post so the resolution should be much clearer now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rooney
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I really like the character and the art is great.

I have a few suggestions.

Sudden Evolution (x4)
Destroy one ongoing or environment card. Search your deck or trash for an ongoing card and put it into play. Shuffle your deck if you searched it. You may use an additional power this turn.

There is a lot going on here, probably too much. Searching your deck for exactly the ongoing you want is a powerful effect on its own, as is additional power use. I would probably remove the card destruction (or change it to one of your own cards only as a cost), limit the effect to Mutations (as fits the flavor), and limit the power to the Mutation that was played:

Sudden Evolution (x4)
Search your deck or trash for a Mutation card, put it into play, and use its power. Shuffle your deck if you searched it.

If you want environment or ongoing destruction, you could work it into other cards that don't have an much going on:

Hurl Debris (x3)
Destroy an environment card. Kali deals 1 target 4 projectile damage.

This is obviously a rip off of Extremist Sky-Scraper, but as a one-shot.

Inescapable Grab (x3)
Kali deals 1 target 2 melee damage. Targets dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.

This is identical to Throat Jab (except possibly better if Kali has Extra Arms out), and Throat Jab can already be overpowered. I would suggest at minimum adding "non-character" to the target, like Adelphophage's insert for Throat Jab:

Inescapable Grab (x3)
Kali deals 1 target 2 melee damage. Non-character targets dealt damage this way cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.

It would be nice to differentiate this from Throat Jab, so perhaps additional tuning is necessary. Maybe:

Inescapable Grab (x3)
Kali deals 1 target 2 melee damage. A non-character target dealt damage this way loses any "end of turn" effects on its card until the start of your next turn.

Extra arms (x1) 
The first time Kali deals damage each turn, you may discard a card. If a card is discarded this way, Kali deals that damage to an additional target. Power: Draw 2 cards then discard a card.

Since you have so many powers in the deck, perhaps Extra Arms could be way to use them?

Extra Arms (x1) 
The first time Kali deals damage each turn, you may discard a card. If a card is discarded this way, Kali may use a power. Power: Draw 2 cards then discard a card.

Great work!

EDIT: Changed suggestions after seeing DECK STRATEGY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Malchow
msg tools
mb
Very cool. I like the art a lot. I will take a closer look later but at first blush I would be concerned that you have a lot of powers but not enough means to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I appreciate the feedback, and thanks for the suggestions, Chris!

Re: Sudden evolution.
You're probably right about too much stuff going on. I'll probably drop the destroy ongoing/ environment effect. All of her ongoings are either mutations or one of 3 tasks, so I want to leave this card letting you search for either.

Re: Inescapable Grab.
It is very strong to prevent damage dealt by a target until next turn, but both 'the Alchemist' and 'the Wraith' have a card like this, and Tachyon can do it to ALL enemies. However, you might be right that in combination with her other means of mitigating damage it may be excessive. If I do change it to 'until sot, prevent damage dealt by non-character cards damaged this way', then I might also add the ongoing destruction to this card. The 'lose end of turn' effects is interesting, and I'll consider that as well.

Re: Hurl Debris.
I went into this card design with the idea that she could throw 'trash' back at an enemy. I really want to keep this effect, though I might want to consider buffing it a little bit.

Re: Extra arms.
The suggestion for 'discard a card, use an extra power' might be better for deck balance, but I REALLY wanted to play around with 'targets damaged this way take X effect' cards and increasing the number of targets damaged. Will need to reconsider...

Overall:
People seem to think that she needs more consistent ways to use her many powers. I could adjust 'Vendetta' to give extra powers instead of simply increasing damage. Something like this:

(New) Vendetta:
When this card enters play, destroy all other ‘task’ cards. Play this card next to a non-Hero target. The first Time Kali deals damage to that target each turn, you may use a power. When that target is destroyed, destroy this card and draw 2 cards.

This would ultimately increase her damage against that target, as she would need to make sure she hit it in order to use the extra power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rooney
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Pazuzumaki wrote:

Re: Sudden evolution.
You're probably right about too much stuff going on. I'll probably drop the destroy ongoing/ environment effect. All of her ongoings are either mutations or one of 3 tasks, so I want to leave this card letting you search for either.

The big advantage to limiting it to Mutations is that you can add the use its power clause to it.

Sudden Evolution (x4)
Search your deck or trash for a Mutation card, put it into play, and use its power. Shuffle your deck if you searched it.

Pazuzumaki wrote:
Re: Inescapable Grab.
It is very strong to prevent damage dealt by a target until next turn, but both 'the Alchemist' and 'the Wraith' have a card like this, and Tachyon can do it to ALL enemies. However, you might be right that in combination with her other means of mitigating damage it may be excessive. If I do change it to 'until sot, prevent damage dealt by non-character cards damaged this way', then I might also add the ongoing destruction to this card. The 'lose end of turn' effects is interesting, and I'll consider that as well.
Yep, the point is that those cards for the Alchemist, Wraith, and Tachyon are overpowered, particularly against villains like Progeny and Spite who rely on dealing their own damage, and that similar effects should be avoided

Of course, that's just an opinion.

Pazuzumaki wrote:
Re: Hurl Debris.
I went into this card design with the idea that she could throw 'trash' back at an enemy. I really want to keep this effect, though I might want to consider buffing it a little bit.
Understood. I'm not sure how you throw an Ongoing or One-shot at somebody, but I get it

You could still get some environment destruction in on this card (as she throws the debris at her surroundings):

Hurl Debris (x3)
Choose one card in any trash and shuffle it into its appropriate deck. Kali deals 1 target 4 projectile damage or destroys an environment card.

Pazuzumaki wrote:
Re: Extra arms.
The suggestion for 'discard a card, use an extra power' might be better for deck balance, but I REALLY wanted to play around with 'targets damaged this way take X effect' cards and increasing the number of targets damaged. Will need to reconsider...
Yeah, I knew when I suggested this that it broke that interaction. It could be fixed by modifying the one-shot cards to work more like Noncandescent Dermis, but the wording can get a little messy:

Inescapable Grab (x3)
Targets dealt damage by Kali during this turn cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn. Kali deals 1 target 2 melee damage.

This works quite well, I think. It's easy to understand and works with Extra Arms (the same applies to any of the other proposed changes to Inescapable Grab).

Tear Open (x3)
Until the start of your next turn, damage dealt to targets that Kali deals damage to this turn is irreducible. Kali deals 1 target 2 irreducible melee damage.

This one is a bit more awkward.

Pazuzumaki wrote:
Overall:
People seem to think that she needs more consistent ways to use her many powers. I could adjust 'Vendetta' to give extra powers instead of simply increasing damage. Something like this:

(New) Vendetta:
When this card enters play, destroy all other ‘task’ cards. Play this card next to a non-Hero target. The first Time Kali deals damage to that target each turn, you may use a power. When that target is destroyed, destroy this card and draw 2 cards.

This would ultimately increase her damage against that target, as she would need to make sure she hit it in order to use the extra power.

I like this. If Extra Arms is changed they become similar, though. Maybe make it a reaction, like an actual vendetta?

Vendetta:
When this card enters play, destroy all other ‘task’ cards. Play this card next to a non-Hero target. The first time that target deals damage to a hero target each turn, you may use a power. When that target is destroyed, destroy this card and draw 2 cards.

This has a additional benefit that if you have Extra Arms out, you can use another power when its not your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
Nitpick: "The Alchemist" doesn't exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alchemist is a Scholar promo card made by Adelphophage, but yeah. :V

I'm impressed! It's not often we see a new deck outside Cauldron just show up with full art! I'll have to give this one a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to look this deck over, and I especially appreciate the suggestions.

And whoops, I always call the Scholar the Alchemist for some reason. My bad.

roonechr wrote:

Sudden Evolution (x4)

Oh, yeah! I like that a lot actually. What do you think of this wording?

Sudden Evolution
Search your deck or Trash for a ‘mutation’ card and put it into play. You may use the power printed on that card immediately. Shuffle your deck if you searched it.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you throw an Ongoing or One-shot at somebody, but I get it

You could still get some environment destruction in on this card (as she throws the debris at her surroundings)

Hurl Debris (x3)
Choose one card in any trash and shuffle it into its appropriate deck. Kali deals 1 target 4 projectile damage or destroys an environment card.

It's simply there because the discard pile is called 'trash'. I might add the environment destruction option to this card. I might even make the environment destruction happen in addition. She needs a few more 'bombs'.

Quote:
Yeah, I knew when I suggested this that it broke that interaction. It could be fixed by modifying the one-shot cards to work more like Noncandescent Dermis, but the wording can get a little messy:

Inescapable Grab (x3)
Targets dealt damage by Kali during this turn cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn. Kali deals 1 target 2 melee damage.

This works quite well, I think. It's easy to understand and works with Extra Arms (the same applies to any of the other proposed changes to Inescapable Grab).

Tear Open (x3)
Until the start of your next turn, damage dealt to targets that Kali deals damage to this turn is irreducible. Kali deals 1 target 2 irreducible melee damage.

This one is a bit more awkward.

Oh, this is a very fun idea! What do you think of this wording?

Inescapable Grab (May change name depending)
Whenever Kali deals damage to a non-character target this turn, that target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.
You may use an additional power during your power phase.

Tear Open
Whenever Kali deals damage to a target this turn, damage dealt to that target becomes irreducible until the start of your next turn.

Quote:

Vendetta:
When this card enters play, destroy all other ‘task’ cards. Play this card next to a non-Hero target. The first time that target deals damage to a hero target each turn, you may use a power. When that target is destroyed, destroy this card and draw 2 cards.

This has a additional benefit that if you have Extra Arms out, you can use another power when its not your turn.

My issue with this version is that it no longer provides extra power use during your turn. I need to think more about what I really want out of the 'targeted offensive mode' card.

Overall, I still want to try to leave her with a few 'overpowered' one-shots. In my playtests, her impact has been rather subtle until late game, when you can dump your hand on a 'Rancorous Incarnation' to use all of your powers. I might leave 'sudden evolution' with ongoing/environment destruction. Inescapable grab will probably switch to only preventing non-character damage, because those cards are often more stagnant than exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rooney
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Pazuzumaki wrote:
Oh, yeah! I like that a lot actually. What do you think of this wording?

Sudden Evolution
Search your deck or Trash for a ‘mutation’ card and put it into play. You may use the power printed on that card immediately. Shuffle your deck if you searched it.
It's great! Note that the standard practice is not to use quotations for keywords; Look at equipment, ongoing, gun, plating, etc.

Quote:
It's simply there because the discard pile is called 'trash'. I might add the environment destruction option to this card. I might even make the environment destruction happen in addition. She needs a few more 'bombs'.
Card destitution on top is fair. Similar to Expatriette's RPG.

Quote:
Oh, this is a very fun idea! What do you think of this wording?

Inescapable Grab (May change name depending)
Whenever Kali deals damage to a non-character target this turn, that target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn.
You may use an additional power during your power phase.

Tear Open

Your wording is an improvement over mine, but I wonder if these might not work better as ongoings:

Inescapable Grasp (May change name depending)
Ongoing, Task
When this card enters play, destroy all other task cards.
Whenever Kali deals damage to a non-character target, that target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn. You may use an additional power during your power phase.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

I do still think that "loses end of turn effects" is more interesting, but either one works.

Tear Open
Ongoing, Task
Damage dealt by Kali is irreducible. After Kali deals damage to a target, all damage dealt to that target is irreducible until the start of your next turn. You may use an additional power during your power phase.

I think that these work well with the task mechanic, as she focuses on restraining opponents or ripping open armor rather than protecting friend or recovering, but I know that this might not fit your vision for the task mechanic. These work if they're not tasks as well.

Quote:
Quote:

Vendetta:

My issue with this version is that it no longer provides extra power use during your turn. I need to think more about what I really want out of the 'targeted offensive mode' card.
Correct, it instead provides power use outside of your turn, which has some advantages. It works well for Kali if you choose to make Inescapable Grab and Tear Open into ongoings, as targets damaged out of turn would be affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
This deck likes quite cool! I like the theme, although if I'm being honest the art just makes me feel bad for her, those look like very unfun powers. Except Movie Night, that cheers me up. Anyway.

I like the Mutations, especially how together they add up to Heavy Plating. The Powers are all fine, although in truth a lot of them are fairly similar. I get you want to have lots of options for multiple power-use cards, but still... Adaptive Physiology and Massive Stature both have quite underwhelming effects (I find destroy a target with X or less HP is pretty consistently overrated for how often its useful). Minor nitpick, though.

Extra arms would possibly have rules issues, but the idea is cool enough that's probably forgivable - assuming she has the card draw to deal with it.

Recuperate and Vendetta both seem good (the ongoing play on Recuperate especailly), but Bodyguard by comparison seems pretty bad. All it does is redirect to Kali, and Kali is not especiallly tough (it takes her 4 cards to get a reliable DR 1), and also it only redirects from one target. I can't see this taking precedence over Recuperate or Vendetta. I'd suggest either letting her redirect from all targets (although that might make Adaptive Physiology a bit good...) or giving it some kind of defensive boost?

I like the idea of making Tear Open and Inescapable Grab scale the more targets you've managed to hit.

Between Extra Arms and Rancorous Incarnation she has quite an appetite for cards, and I'd worry that she doesn't have any particularly good way to GET cards? Movie Night is a fine card, but for her specifically does not draw much, Extra arms only profits one card and uses up her power, so you're drawing a card that will let you use a power later, by using a power. That just leaves Recuperate. Maybe she could use some more card draw?

The flavour on throwing one-shots is indeed odd, it might get much the same effect if she could only do it to environment cards? They're at least generally something vaguely physical (not always, but more frequently than villain cards, at least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without checking for card updates in the past day or so, I tried her out tonight and found she was a lot of fun. Played against Akash'Bhuta, so it wasn't like she got all her stuff out and just tanked forever, but she's pretty darn good at that without feeling unbalancing. Even if I was jut using Four Arms to stock my hand for eventual unleashing, she had plenty of damage-dealing one-shots to make up for the lack of damaging powers.

Though I will say I got stuck in Recuperation for a while. The only way to destroy it is by playing another Task (or, I guess, using her ongoing destruction on it, which would be kind of wasteful). I kind of wanted to be able to blow it up at the start of my turn myself, just as a matter of course. I'll give her another shot in a few weeks, when I have an opening in my video schedule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
roonechr
Quote:
Note that the standard practice is not to use quotations for keywords; Look at equipment, ongoing, gun, plating, etc.

Noted. Will update cards. Thanks!

Quote:
Inescapable Grasp (May change name depending)
Ongoing, Task
Whenever Kali deals damage to a non-character target, that target cannot deal damage until the start of your next turn. You may use an additional power during your power phase.

I do still think that "loses end of turn effects" is more interesting, but either one works.

Tear Open
Ongoing, Task
Damage dealt by Kali is irreducible. After Kali deals damage to a target, all damage dealt to that target is irreducible until the start of your next turn. You may use an additional power during your power phase.

I think that these work well with the task mechanic, as she focuses on restraining opponents or ripping open armor rather than protecting friend or recovering, but I know that this might not fit your vision for the task mechanic. These work if they're not tasks as well.

I don't think I want 'tear open' as a task, but 'inescapable grasp' might work better than 'bodyguard'. I could switch their mechanics around, so she had a 'bodyguard' one shot that redirected, reduced, or prevented damage until the start of her next turn. 'Inescapable grasp' would likely change to redirect damage to self, rather than prevention. I need to play around and decide if I like what it does to the deck. It couldn't combo with alternate Vendettas out of turn effects, as both are tasks.

adelphophage
Quote:
This deck likes quite cool! I like the theme, although if I'm being honest the art just makes me feel bad for her, those look like very unfun powers. Except Movie Night, that cheers me up.

Yeah, I wanted to convey how unfun her power is in the art. She's kind of like 'the Thing' from the fantastic four in that way. Fortunately, in most universes science or magic do find a way to help her control and suppress her power.

Quote:
Adaptive Physiology and Massive Stature both have quite underwhelming effects (I find destroy a target with X or less HP is pretty consistently overrated for how often its useful).

I gave them slightly less strong powers because I felt like their passive effects were stronger than others. That said, I would love to hear suggestions for more exciting attack powers for any of the mutations. (for example, many Villains that do toxic damage also do melee damage, so it might be cool to make those mutations more distinct)

Quote:
Recuperate and Vendetta both seem good (the ongoing play on Recuperate especailly), but Bodyguard by comparison seems pretty bad. All it does is redirect to Kali, and Kali is not especiallly tough (it takes her 4 cards to get a reliable DR 1), and also it only redirects from one target. I can't see this taking precedence over Recuperate or Vendetta. I'd suggest either letting her redirect from all targets (although that might make Adaptive Physiology a bit good...) or giving it some kind of defensive boost?

One of my design thoughts was to make 1 task played in a non-Hero area, and 1 task play in another Heros area. This was both to thematically simulate a focus on a single task, to help make tasks unique, and to de-clutter her own play area a bit. What's interesting about bodyguard is that is actually shines in a 3 player game. Damages tend to be lower, and her damage reductions now apply to 2/3 of the party. That said, it is fundamentally weaker than most other redirection cards, so I definitely should consider giving it a boost. Maybe reduce damage redirected this way by 1? Maybe on destruction increase the healing to 3, and you and that Hero each draw a card?

Quote:

I like the idea of making Tear Open and Inescapable Grab scale the more targets you've managed to hit.

Yeah, this was a very cool suggestion by roonechr. I'm going to make this change when I finalize an update.

Quote:
Between Extra Arms and Rancorous Incarnation she has quite an appetite for cards, and I'd worry that she doesn't have any particularly good way to GET cards? Movie Night is a fine card, but for her specifically does not draw much, Extra arms only profits one card and uses up her power, so you're drawing a card that will let you use a power later, by using a power. That just leaves Recuperate. Maybe she could use some more card draw?

I'm definitely considering giving her more draw, but I haven't had too much trouble keeping her hand full in playtests. That said, my data may be skewed because for my earlier playtests I made extra arms power simply 'draw 2 cards'. This was excessive, and I found myself using that power way too much. Note that'Vendetta' also gives cards when the target is destroyed, giving you an incentive to not use it on the main Villain. 'Rancorous incarnation' is more supposed to be a finisher, so I do like making you work for enough hands to use it a LITTLE bit.

takewalker wrote:
Without checking for card updates in the past day or so, I tried her out tonight and found she was a lot of fun. Played against Akash'Bhuta, so it wasn't like she got all her stuff out and just tanked forever, but she's pretty darn good at that without feeling unbalancing. Even if I was jut using Four Arms to stock my hand for eventual unleashing, she had plenty of damage-dealing one-shots to make up for the lack of damaging powers.

Though I will say I got stuck in Recuperation for a while. The only way to destroy it is by playing another Task (or, I guess, using her ongoing destruction on it, which would be kind of wasteful). I kind of wanted to be able to blow it up at the start of my turn myself, just as a matter of course. I'll give her another shot in a few weeks, when I have an opening in my video schedule!

Thanks for testing! It is unfortunate that you got stuck in Recuperate for longer than desired. Ideally she has enough ways to draw cards and search ongoings for her to not be stuck in that position, but it can always still happen thanks to the randomness of cards. I wanted you to be able to use the ongoing play at start of turn to easily replace the task as well, but there are only 6 non-recuperate tasks in the deck so it's unreliable. I could change it so it was 'at sot, draw a card or choose a ongoing in your trash and put it into play', but that may be too strong.

Also of note, a previous version of Rancorous incarnation was 'use a power. You may destroy one of your Ongoing cards. If a card was destroyed this was, repeat the text of this card.' That version helped clear out unwanted tasks, but I just didn't like how it worked in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
If Vendetta is increasing damage, maybe Bodyguard could say the first time they are dealt damage redirect it to Kali and she may use a power? Not a guarantee power (they might just not get hit) but gives it some punch. It's not easily controllable, but useful.

Looking at the powers on her various Mutation cards, we have...

Carapace: 1 x 3 melee
Mucus: 2 x 2 toxic
Headcrest: 1 Sonic to all in a play area
Dermis: 1 + 1, plus potentially another 1 for each other hit you've already done
Physiology: 2 damage, gain 1 HP
Stature: Destroy 2 or less HP

Currently these are fairly samey, doing 2-3ish damage in various combinations. I'm guessing she'll often have 2+ mutations out, so she'll be spoiled for choice on powers - so making them more specialized but stronger seems wise. If they all do about the same thing, having the choice of 3 powers doesn't mean that much, if they all do very different things, having a choice of 3 is nice! I feel like you've tried to make them all just deal some damage so they're all somewhat useful no matter what, but bear in mind that she always has her very good innate power if it's not the right Mutation for her current situation.

Of the current ones, I'd say Carapace has a niche as a simple damage dealer.

I like Dermis quite a lot, how it rewards you for using damaging one-shots, I'd suggest pushing that. Maybe it deals no damage directly, but deals 3 damage to anyone already dealt damage? A bit harder to use, but more powerful, especially if you're going crazy with Extra arms and such. It'd be interesting to play with, trying to make sure you use one of her damaging one-shots, kinda like Inescapable Pull with Impact.

Adaptive Physiology could probably just be straight life gain - they don't all need to deal damage. 3 or so HP? Reduce damage dealt to her by 1 until her next turn?

Massive Stature could probably be destroy a target on 3 or less, or even potentially 4 or less, although playtesting would determine that.

Mucus and Headcrest are fairly similar, and Headcrest also has the issue that it can potentially hit less targets than Mucus, I might want to hit a villain and environment. I'd suggest having only one of those be her AoE, give the other something else.

I'd say Thunderous Headcrest could go up to 2 sonic damage as her decent AoE attack (it'd still be Hail Storm, only it can't hit environment and villain, so not overpowered), then you could do something else with Mucus. Some options are... higher damage, but self damage too (4 to a target, 2 to herself?), or reducing the targets damage (Maybe 1 toxic and 1 DR, Stun Bolt style? Or prevent the next damage they deal?).

Anyway, just thoughts at the moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carapace is her bread and butter, I'd say. I got it out the first round in my play through with her, and when I needed to deal damage, it was what I used. It even works well if you have Recuperate in play, 2 damage is a fairly solid hit.

At the risk of making her too good at doing everything, Mucus seems like a solid candidate for some damage control. 1 damage to one or two targets, and if they take damage (or not?), reduce damage dealt by them by 1 until your next turn. Share that mucus!

Headcrest is the one that really stands out as not nearly as good. A little random deck manipulation is fine, but it's going to require team support to make really effective. Otherwise, it's just a weird Wrecking Uppercut.

I kind of feel like Extra Arms should just let you draw, period. One, two, I dunno (probably one), but she doesn't have a lot of discard fodder, and if you're trying to build up your hand, using its power should be the way to go. Maybe it could deal a damage to something you've already hit once this turn? That wouldn't be necessary.

On that note, I wanted to add that every time I had to discard, it was almost always Primordial Acclimation. It's got its uses, but it seems a very niche card. Having discard fodder is important when you've got any discarding ability, I just wanted to point that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi all! I updated the first page with a version 2 for Kali.

I changed a lot of cards based on the excellent feedback I was given in these forums. Overall, little changes have amounted to her feeling a lot more dynamic, even if the impact of her deck has remained fundamentally the same. Some of the combos I really liked before are gone (namely most of her one-shots and extra arms), but she is a lot more consistent, and that’s where she should be. Ongoing Mutations have more diverse powers from one another now. Ongoing Tasks are generally stronger, but also more complicated, making them good mutually exclusive effects. Inescapable grasp and Tear open both now cause effects to each target damaged by Kali during the rest of her turn, not just damaged by that card. Many one shots were tweaked to make them a little stronger or more interesting without going crazy. I'm not sure if I like all of the changes, or if she has fallen out of balance with the changes. I need to do some more playtesting before I reach a final conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what? Kali is a really great hero deck. Have a video!

Watch her beat up Iron Legacy! Though I forgot to check the thread first, so this is the previous version of her deck... :B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I agree - she is really fun!

Normally getting lots of power cards out is a bit pointless as you can only use one a turn anyway, but she totally gets around that! The defensive effects all stack fine and she has lots of ways to use multiple powers. I also like her cards like Tear Open, Inescapable Grasp and Noncandescent dermis that buff her attacks. It's sort of like Fixer, but because most of her "use an extra Power" or "Your Powers become extra good" stuff is one-shots, she doesn't get repetitive.

Some card specific notes...

Primordial Acclimation is really fun. Normally messing around with damage types doesn't matter that much, but because the play a card/use a power is pretty good anyway, you play the card and thus think "Hrm, what am I likely to get hit by?", which is interesting.

I see what you mean about Rancorous Incarnation - she has a lot of other ways to use extra powers and this one is fairly inefficient. On the other hand, it's the only way she has to get more than one extra power as a one-shot, so I think as a 2x it's okay. Maybe if you didn't have to discard cards, though - just a creepy mutant Unload?

Another option to make it her combo finisher would be to increase damage she deals by 1 and then you may discard X cards to use X extra powers - it would clear out your hand and need you to have lots of Mutations, but it'd be a HELL Of a turn!

Given all the other cards that get you ways to get extra powers, Extra Arms does feel a bit...easy to me, and also very very good, so it's the first thing you get with Sudden Evolution every time. It's closer to your original idea, but what if it was "Power: Draw 2 cards. At the end of your turn, you may discard a card to use a power."

That way you can use the extra power to use the power on this, which nets you a total of draw 2 discard 1 (not bad), OR you can use another power, which costs you a card. That way you don't just use two attacks every turn, you might have to take a turn off now and then. I do like her more when getting her wacky use-three-powers-in-one-turn combos are things you have to work towards a little, rather than being reliable.

Vendetta is interesting, I like how if you use it on the villain it's high risk, high reward, but it's also quite effective on smaller targets - you get a BIG damage boost, and cards when they die.

Bodyguard works well. It is a bit odd that it gets an effect when destroyed unlike the others, but not the end of the world.

Recuperate I feel is the least attractive one - for a set up card it sort of slows you down a bit - you have to play this and THEN start playing the stuff you actually care about (the same problem as Upgrade mode). I'd suggest the play/draw was end of turn, so you'd not be down on the turn you play it, and would start profiting the turn after?

Also, I reckon Recuperate is the one that could use a built-in option to destroy it, as that 1 damage less dealt can be annoying. Admittedly, Sudden Evolution and Adaptive Physiology already gives you a way to do that, but you won't always have those.

Adaptive Physiology is a great card, don't you dare change it! Gives another way to work into her having-lots-of-ongoings them. Could potentially be 5 damage?

I do like the bulk of the powers on the ongoings (especially Noncandescent), but Mucus vs Headcrest doesn't quite do it for me. They're both AoE, and neither is good AoE. I do get how they have their uses for tagging stuff for Noncandescent Dermis/Tear Open/Inescapable Grasp, but that is kind of niche. One card that does that is probably enough.

I'd say keeping Mucus as is makes sense, it is the best at "Tagging" things as it hits many things and being irreducible it always gets through. Headcrest I think could use the change - discarding the top card of the deck just isn't that important a lot of the time to justify the rest of the card being weak.

To give another option how about... Deal 1 target 2 sonic damage. If a target is destroyed this way, you may destroy an ongoing/environment card.

The damage is worse than Carapace, but still gives you an okay option. On top of that, if you do some setup it gives her control effects, which fits the flavour of the sonic pulse better.

That way you could potentially take the ongoing/environment destruction off of Sudden Evolution, where it's currently a bit awkward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like those suggestions for both Rancorous Incarnation and Extra Arms. And the Headcrest variant would make sense: you shout at something, and either it soaks the damage, or it gets blown away, as well as whatever's behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rooney
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I got Kali printed at PrinterStudio so I could play her in my home games:

I only had to expand the borders on the cards to get her to work with PS and she looks great!

Her first game she joined custom heroes Fusion, Icegirl, Gyrosaur, and Drift to fight valiantly against Mythos (also newly printed) and narrowly survived to see him defeated, thanks in large part to Insulating Mucus:

Thank you Pazuzumaki for creating such an interesting hero!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.