BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games with high variability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JOEL ESCALANTE
Mexico
MEXICO CITY
flag msg tools
I have seen that game variability is difficult to find, so I wonder which eurogames do you think are the ones with the higher variability? I mean that when you play the game again it has variations from the last time you played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I suppose you are probably looking for games that have variable player powers and variable setup. Ideally games in which you don't see everything the game has to offer in every game.

Possibly a game like Nations would fit your needs. Different starting nations with large decks of cards in which you only see a fraction from each era in each game, that also come out in an unpredictable order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for different setups, or for big differences in how the game plays out? I find that there are games with the same setup that still play out quite differently all the time, and also, that some games with variable setup seem to still lead to similar feeling gameplay every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
Are you looking for different setups, or for big differences in how the game plays out. I find that there are games with the same setup that still play out quite differently all the time, and also, that some games with variable setup that seem to still lead to similar feeling gameplay.

I'd tend to agree, generally variable setup seems to be a crutch to disguise relatively sameish gameplay every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion - preferably with an expansion or 2 to really up the variability

+1 Kingdom Builder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe Has huge variability - each game you'll probably have a different combination of faction + player mat, changing not only how efficient certain actions are, but also which two actions you can do in the same turn (and every faction has their own special ability and some unique mech abilities); you get different encounters, potentially changing your strategy; you get different factory cards, again giving you a different set of actions.

Scythe: Invaders from Afar adds two more factions and two more player mats, so furtehr increase that variability already present in the base game and Scythe: The Wind Gambit adds even more - each game you have different passive and agressive abilities and the end game condition (and what happens during the end of the game). So The wind gamebit opens the entire game.

And yes, despite looking like a 'dudes on a map' style of game, Scythe is much more of a euro game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lasko
Poland
Krakow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars - the map is always the same, but you've got plenty of different corporations and a huuuge deck of cards. After 40 plays I still find it challenging to pick the very best cards each round, as there is no clear win strategy.

P.S. I have played some boardgames solo several times before just to understand rules before explaining them, but this is the first game I enjoy solo. Out of 40 plays about half are solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.