BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Solo games ladies like rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April Parekh
United States
California
flag msg tools
Okay so most of my "gaming" thus far has taken place with my 5 and almost 7 year old. It's great because I have discovered something exists beyond chutes and ladders, hi ho cherrio, monopoly, and hoot owl hoot.

I recently picked up a copy of Robinson Crusoe (it was dirt dirt cheap and came with expansion as well). But I really think I may want to start with something more beginner"ish"? What games do you suggest to newer solo players? Any that have withstood the test of time or which you really like and have played a lot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Onirim and Sylvion. Friday is newer to me but also fun. It's awesome to have games to play solo in between all the kids games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started Solo Playing and I jumped into the deep end. I have been playing Scythe, Terraforming Mars, A Feast for Odin, and Robinson Crusoe.tN and AFFO are my favorites of the bunch. The games have even been just as fun for me solo as they are in a group. I knew that I would like these though because I LOVE games with an economic engine of sorts.

I bought some apps of other games to see what else I would like and I have learned a lot. Maybe invest in some apps to see what you like.

What game mechanics do you love?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!
Along the lines of Robinson Crusoe, I find Friday to be quite a good game. It is a solo-only deckbuilder in which you build your deck of cards as the game progresses (one of my favorite mechanisms).
If you like fantasy and don't much care if it's challenging I also recommend One Deck Dungeon, a small dice game for 1-2 players (primarily a solo game).
If you want something slightly easier, Sylvion is really nice with good artwork to boot!
Lastly, if you don't mind the expense, Viticulture: Essential Edition plays up to 6 and has a great solo variant.
Those are some of my go-to solo games, I hope this helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April Parekh
United States
California
flag msg tools
shutterbugtn wrote:
I just started Solo Playing and I jumped into the deep end. I have been playing Scythe, Terraforming Mars, A Feast for Odin, and Robinson Crusoe.tN and AFFO are my favorites of the bunch. The games have even been just as fun for me solo as they are in a group. I knew that I would like these though because I LOVE games with an economic engine of sorts.

I bought some apps of other games to see what else I would like and I have learned a lot. Maybe invest in some apps to see what you like.

What game mechanics do you love?

I think I would need to play more games to be able to answer that really well but ones I think I enjoy(or would enjoy): city building, cooperative (obviously a moot point here),tile placement,puzzle solving,grid movement. I don't love memory type things...but then again, maybe that's because I've played Enchanted Forest one too many times .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play several solo games (or solo variants of games): Sagrada, Pandemic (not legacy), Friday, Onirim, Nautilion, Dimension, and Pandemic: The Cure. All of these are easy to learn and play.

I plan on trying the solo variants of Terraforming Mars and Scythe at some point. I've played these non-solo, and they would be a bit more difficult to learn than the others I mentioned.

My son (lives in another city) just picked up New Bedford, which is 1 to 4 players. It looks really interesting. I asked him to let me know how he likes it, as I'm thinking of getting it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you post in the 1 player guild about your likes and dislikes
you can get many more suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Morgan
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve really been enjoying the solo mode of Tiny Epic Galaxies. It’s got different difficulty levels and also can be played multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Smith
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies, Pandemic, and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective could be good choices for you. Go find the Solo Games on Yout Table monthly thread. They have lots of photos and descriptions play throughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I never managed to warm up to Friday, despite repeated plays, never felt like there was enough decision space.

+1 for Sylvion - it's a great little deckbuilder/tower defense that makes for both an enjoyable experience and a good introduction to the genre, plus built-in expansions.

+1 One Deck Dungeon if you like a good ol' dungeon romp with lots of dice chucking and luck.

Forbidden Island is Pandemic light, and can usually be acquired for relatively little cost. Has some nice fan-made content too.

Terraforming Mars when you're ready to jump into a meatier engine building / economic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson is my favourite solo game, but I agree it can be intimidating. My favourite "lighter" one happens to be created by one of our own (Caroline!) - Everything Except Air. I've been playing it on and off for years. I love the theme, the art, the feeling/mood of quiet, growing desperation, just everything about it is a really amazing solo experience, if I can gush so much modest modest

It checks off a lot of your boxes, too, I think

I haven't played it (my Kickstarter copy is still on the way), but the playthrough and reviews of Deep Space D-6 convinced me to back. Maybe someone else here has played it and can give a better opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I enjoy playing non solo games by myself, see my microbadge, I am my own worst enemy.

+1 to Onirim and Friday

I love Terraforming.

Mage Knight when you are ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria S
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Limes, a quick card/Meeple placement for points game; Star Realms, a deck builder; Friday, another deck builder; Pencil Park, dice roller; Carcassonne, tile/meeple placement; and The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game, set collection. The SoloPlay Variants list is also a good source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim is good.

Pandemic and its expansions are a classic. (Or Forbidden Island if you'd prefer something lighter.)

I'm also going to mention Legends of Andor which was one of my first solo games. Looks like a dungeon crawler but plays like a puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G BB
Norway
Aalesund
More og Romsdal
flag msg tools
all friends and aquintances will be assimilated (now that they’re stuck at home with their kids *g*)
badge
get in loser we’re going spelunking
mbmbmbmbmb
One Deck Dungeon, Pyramid Arcade(collection of games, some solo/puzzle-like, also games you can play with the kids as time goes on). Vast has a solo-mode, and tons of variability. The Lost Expedition is a very enjoyable puzzle with gorgeous art.

Any true co-op game can be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz D
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! Solo gaming is awesome! (I might be biased, I blog about it.)

Since you play with your kids, you should definitely look into co-op games that solo nicely. I'd recommend Castle Panic (w/ Wizard's Tower expansion) and I'll second the nomination of Forbidden Island.

Definitely take the good advice on this thread about small, relaxing card games (Onirim, Sylvion, Friday). I also really love Cards of Cthulhu, which is surprisingly chill for a Lovecraft-themed game. If you want to try tile placement, Shahrazad is quick, simple, and inexpensive.

If you want more reading-heavy games, then I definitely second the rec for Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective (or Mythos Tales if you want it Lovecraft-flavored). I've also gotten quite a kick out of Legacy of Dragonholt.

Have fun solo gaming! And join the 1-Player Guild, people are nice and helpful over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. My tongue in cheek answer is Spirit Island, because its currently my favorite game.... But that feels like a dishonest recommendation, given i dont think it checks any of your likes except coop and is a prety heavy coop.

Carcassonne has a really good solo variant called Carcassonne island. You try to score 200 points while staying in a 7x7 grid. Game ends when you draw the 4th tile you cannot place. As a bonus, the game is pretty inexpensive, you can buy it almost anywhere, and its a good multiplayer game as well - my sons were 7 and 4 play it with me (the younger buy sometimes wont last the whole game though - he has a short attention span)

Forbidden Island and its big brother Pandemic are also fun. Forbidden island is simpler to set up and can be played with younger kids (the 7 year old gets it, the 4 year old is more of a hinderance than a help). Of the two, i prefer pandemic because luck of the draw can really hammer you in forbidden island. Forbidden island also ticks more of your boxes - you're moving around and island made up of tiles, searching for artifacts before the island sinks. Both of thsee are also available fairly easily from target or barnes and noble.

And i also repeat the suggestion to check out the solitaire games on your table geeklists... Theres one for every month and theyre getting really huge, but you can browse the games listed and read some gameplays, look at pictures and see what you think. Solitaire Games On Your Table - January 2018

Another resource is the solitaire players choice awards list - this is someothing the solo guild does every year where a members vote on their to 20 solo games and a list is developed from that: 2017 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (100-1) +(101-200) Bonus

I will update with links to the current solitaire games on your table
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For learning robinshon crusoe, i recommend checking out ricky royals playthrough video(s?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Palmatier
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely agree with One Deck Dungeon and Onirim (second edition). Those are good places to start.

Also, check out Solitaire Games On Your Table - January 2018 geeklist where people post about their solo gameplay.

I made a top 10 geeklist for the Solo People's Choice voting last year:
Flaeryn's Top Solo Games.

Also, check out the 1 Player guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also suggest joining the 1 Player Guild (linked above) -- from all that I've seen, they seem very friendly and helpful, and they know about all the solo games!

Just a friendly pointer to the OP, April: Although nobody has said anything yet, titles like the title of this thread tend to not go down so well in here, just because they somehow imply that women like particular games, or different games than men, just because they're women. Often, such posts come from men who somehow want to put women into boxes and imply that they only like particular games, and that irks a lot of members of this forum. Of course, you're not doing that at all, but the title makes it look like you might be!
You're just looking for nice introductory solo game recommendations; that doesn't have anything to do with being a woman.
Of course you're welcome to ask about these recommendations in the Women & Gaming forum; I'm really just queasy about the wording of the title.

(If the OP was a man, asking about a recommendation for his wife with this title, I have no doubt there would have been some stern responses already.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all on the lighter side and quite enjoyable IMO:

Friday
Pandemic: The Cure (playing as multiple characters)
Tiny Epic Western (or Galaxies)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
There's a difference between putting oneself in a category and asking for recommendations and putting someone else in a category and asking the same. A big one. The latter implies assumptions, the former is a statement (even if that statement isn't very helpful for winnowing the field of recommendations).

But yes, one's gender doesn't have any correlation to game choice, any more than a person's hair colour or favourite breakfast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April Parekh
United States
California
flag msg tools
Gswp wrote:
I also suggest joining the [b]

Just a friendly pointer to the OP, April: Although nobody has said anything yet, titles like the title of this thread tend to not go down so well in here, just because they somehow imply that women like particular games, or different games than men, just because they're women. Often, such posts come from men who somehow want to put women into boxes and imply that they only like particular games, and that irks a lot of members of this forum. Of course, you're not doing that at all, but the title makes it look like you might be!
You're just looking for nice introductory solo game recommendations; that doesn't have anything to do with being a woman.
Of course you're welcome to ask about these recommendations in the Women & Gaming forum; I'm really just queasy about the wording of the title.

(If the OP was a man, asking about a recommendation for his wife with this title, I have no doubt there would have been some stern responses already.)

Haha, I actually am on one of the FB groups and I continuously see people posting questions about what they should get their wife/gf who like XYZ. I guess my naive idea was that women generally prefer games that are more cooperative/visually pleasing/ involved more reading or thinking and that guys might be more drawn to "war" type things. Very sexist of me and I apologize for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For solo games I like Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, Mice and Mystics, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, Multiuniversum, Project Dreamscape (made by our own Sarah), Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, Legends of Andor
And I loved Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) with the app, even though I've only played it once.

That being said almost all of these are fantasy/sci-fi with lots of monsters and dungeons... Looking at your last post I would probably recommend you Project Dreamscape the most of this list. It's very puzzley, has cute art (I had to get used to that a bit) and can also be played multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Deep Space D-6

The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game has a solo mode.

Herbaceous is great.

You could also check out my friend Mike's video channel, Solomode Games. He has playthrough videos of a number of solo games, including Deep Space D6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.