Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just scratched off the cards/read the story for the other ending to the game. And I'm really confused.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If I play the game to piss off the king because I don't like him and I want to destroy him... if I "win" the campaign he transfers his soul into me. Basically I fought hard to become the thing I didn't like.

If I play the game to please the king and go along with him... if I "win" I get to destroy the Charterstone and kill the King.

How does that make any sense? Did I open a wrong box at some point? As soon as I started to get suspicious of the King I deliberately tried to make him miserable and all that did was PREVENT me from destroying the Charterstone. So the moral of the story is "go along to get along"? Or Don't fight for what you think is right? What the heck...!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Your choices to anger or appease the king are related to how threatened by you the king is. This is covered on story 17.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very unsatisfying ending to the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Quinlivan
Australia
West Australia
flag msg tools
I liked it. If the king feels threatened he tries to get you, but if you where nice to your followers they side with you.

If the king was happy he doesn't see your betrayal coming.

seems pretty true to life to me, after all if you constantly went against the wishes of a tyrannical dictator in the real world I think they'd be on guard when they came to meet you, whereas if you where a trusted advisor you'd be in a better position to betray them at the end without arousing their suspicion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
felicitous blue wrote:
I liked it. If the king feels threatened he tries to get you, but if you where nice to your followers they side with you.

If the king was happy he doesn't see your betrayal coming.

seems pretty true to life to me, after all if you constantly went against the wishes of a tyrannical dictator in the real world I think they'd be on guard when they came to meet you, whereas if you where a trusted advisor you'd be in a better position to betray them at the end without arousing their suspicion.

Exactly! I thought the same thing. I really enjoyed that aspect. Thruout the campaign I kept wanting to pick the choice that made the king mad because like it was said before I didn’t trust him. My wife on the other hand did the things that made the king happy because she thought, well if he’s the bad guy I want to be on his good side! Ah it was great. She ended up winning the campaign by 3 points... 3 POINTS! That last game I was on fire I made all the right choices I optimized my score so much, it was a near flawless play. And when we rallied up the scores she started laughing. It was great. We’ve already agreed to get the recharge pack for a rematch. Nice thing is that since she won the campaign the king stole her personas body. It was a great twist since she won. Turns out we did everything almost half and half (happy king choices to angry king choices and companion choices)

I really enjoyed the story. It was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ends can't justify the means. I didn't obey the kings wishes because I didn't want to appease him. Turns out the random choices we made for the companions (weirdest part of the campaign by far) determined our fate long ago. The rest didn't matter.

From a strategy stand point choosing to be nice to your companions is the wrong decision for the campaign... (Capacity is easy to obtain and not worth much, while glory is worth more.) Unless you want a "happy" ending. You don't have control over the story you are just there for the ride. If you think you have control, like i was trying, you don't get the payoff. It's a bad design, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
RiffRaff14 wrote:
The ends can't justify the means. I didn't obey the kings wishes because I didn't want to appease him. Turns out the random choices we made for the companions (weirdest part of the campaign by far) determined our fate long ago. The rest didn't matter.

From a strategy stand point choosing to be nice to your companions is the wrong decision for the campaign... (Capacity is easy to obtain and not with much, while glory is worth more.) Unless you want a "happy" ending. You don't have control over the story you are just there for the ride. If you think you have control, like i was trying, you don't get the payoff. It's a bad design, in my opinion.

I can understand your story view. I can see how that would be upsetting. I guess I didn’t mind because when it comes to board games, video games and movies I’m there for the ride when it comes to story.

But as for your strategy view, Have you played it thru a second time and checked if the other options are equal? My wife beat me because of capacity in our campaign. She racked up a ton thru the companion choice of the capacity and filling up a capacity at the beginning of every game, in fact because she was able to fill a capacity at the beginning of our last game in the campaign, she won. I caught up to her score thanks to personas used. I was incredibly behind on stars the whole campaign. So I disagree that stars are a better strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won the campaign 1012 to 963. So by 49 points. The very last game I achieved the Guidepost while my wife did not. That was 40 points of the difference right there. (Edit: actually... factoring my Victory versus her capacity, that's actually 44 of the 49 points).

I had 16 capacity to my wife's 9?. I could have had more capacity due to game losses and being able to add more at game start, but obviously the cap is 16. My Persona usage offset her victories. Our buildings were 106 her to my 102.

We had the variable scoring (wife got to choose that), but using the standard scoring I would have won the campaign 999 to 961.

Stars are worth 10. The next closest are Victories at 7(ish) and Personas at 6(ish). 1 Star is almost worth using 2 Personas so Stars are clearly the way to winning the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony K
msg tools
mb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
I won the campaign 1012 to 963. So by 49 points. The very last game I achieved the Guidepost while my wife did not. That was 40 points of the difference right there. (Edit: actually... factoring my Victory versus her capacity, that's actually 44 of the 49 points).

I had 16 capacity to my wife's 9?. I could have had more capacity due to game losses and being able to add more at game start, but obviously the cap is 16. My Persona usage offset her victories. Our buildings were 106 her to my 102.

We had the variable scoring (wife got to choose that), but using the standard scoring I would have won the campaign 999 to 961.

Stars are worth 10. The next closest are Victories at 7(ish) and Personas at 6(ish). 1 Star is almost worth using 2 Personas so Stars are clearly the way to winning the campaign.

That's a pretty naive way of looking at it. Personas certainly won me the game. I won by over 100 points and had less stars than the player in second place. But, I still wouldn't say that personas are "clearly the way to winning the campaign." As I see it, stars will be better for most players (like those that already have plenty of capacity) and capacity will be better for the few players that have won several games already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad king/happy king doesn't have anything to do with how you feel about him, it's how he feels about you. We were suspicious of him from fairly early on, but we made our decisions based on what would help us most in the moment. We were below average on the map. We ended up with more happy king than mad king, but just barely.

That said, it was the companion thing that mostly got us the "good" ending. (We split 50/50 rebel/loyal for the final persona.) The calculation for good/bad ending was a blowout too. I think all of us chose capacity, because the glory choice seemed cruel. So you picked the cruel choice and you got the bad ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for the non-used companions (4 of the 6) we didn't think too much about our choices. Same with the Personas. That could have easily been designed out but they choose to have non players matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.