Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am looking to start Gloomhaven this weekend and will play solo with 2 characters. Is there any reason why all 6 starting characters couldn't be in a party and you just pick two to play a scenario with? I will most likely pick two characters (leaning towards the Tinkerer and the Brute) and just go with that, but am curious as to why the game couldn't be played in such a way. Maybe something would get squirrely with the campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It 100% can be played that way, the limit of 4 is for a scenario, not your party.

That said, you're going to slow down your retirement goals and general character progression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You might slow down character progression, but you wouldn't necessarily slow down retirement, as you could send characters specifically on scenarios likely to help them with their goals... Which actually thematically makes a lot more sense, since the main reason these characters are adventuring is to complete their personal goals. Why waste time on a mission that doesn't help accomplish that goal?

I think you could have a lot of fun mixing and matching six characters.

Although I might recommend using three characters at a time instead of two, since it's harder to mix and match duos as effectively as triples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kanehen
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only other thing to note in addition to what has already been mentioned is items. From rulebook p 43:

Quote:
Within any one party, the number of items available for purchase is limited by how many copies of the item’s card there are.

So, if you're running 6 characters, they can't all have a Minor Stamina Potion (just 4 of them) and only two can have the Boots of Striding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The items won't be a problem. Not everyone needs everything.

Some combinations in 2P are considered slightly more difficult though.

More importantly, I'd imagine it might be difficult to get into the game if you constantly change your team. You'll have a hard time learning synergies between characters. And if you like a bit of role play, I'd imagine a smaller group might be more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to consider for a ways down the road is how many "lineages" you want. If you are going to be playing every two-hero combination over the course of this, you'll have six separate lineages for retirement. If you break it up so you're (for instance) always playing Tinkerer/Brute, Mindthief/Scoundrel, or Cragheart/Spellweaver, you could argue you only have two lineages. It's not a big deal, but it will make your later campaign perks come more easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
The argument about the items being restrictive with larger parties is compelling. I'm now trying to pick between doing the campaign with two to three characters. How do these pairing work?

Scoundrel and Cragheart

Brute and Mindthief

Spellweaver and Tinkerer

If I did three player parties, I would split up the Scoundrel and Cragheart with the Scoundrel joining the Brute and Mindthief and the Cragheart going with the Spellweaver and Tinkerer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
AUevans78 wrote:
The argument about the items being restrictive with larger parties is compelling.

To be honest, you COULD use the character sheet notes to track the items of each character, and then return them to the gloomhaven supply when you clean up. You'd just need to redistribute them each time you setup.

The item restrictions exist so that all characters in the party aren't maxed out with all the items. If you are playing 2 characters at a time this won't be a huge issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AUevans78 wrote:
The argument about the items being restrictive with larger parties is compelling. I'm now trying to pick between doing the campaign with two to three characters. How do these pairing work?

Scoundrel and Cragheart

Brute and Mindthief

Spellweaver and Tinkerer

If I did three player parties, I would split up the Scoundrel and Cragheart with the Scoundrel joining the Brute and Mindthief and the Cragheart going with the Spellweaver and Tinkerer.

Scoundrel needs another melee character to be most effective, and the cragheart is normally ranged.

If you split into those 2 3 team groups, you basically have an all melee group and then all ranged group. Also, you're lacking a support style character in the first group, although I think the mindthief might be able to do a little?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.