United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently my Elf is Level 3 and before I start my next adventure I will prepare 3 spells for her to potentially cast next game.

So far I've assumed that the Elf, unlike the Wizard, does not have prior knowledge of the 6 basic spells. Therefore, I can only prepare spells that I've found on scrolls throughout the course of the adventure. Also, the elf, unlike the wizard, cannot prepare multiple copies of the same spell. Is this correct?

Also, I'm just wondering if 3 spells is the maximum number of spells an Elf can prepare before an adventure. The description of the Elf makes me wonder about this. Mainly the sentence that says: A 2nd level elf may prepare two spells, and a third level elf may prepare three spells. The fact that there's no etc... or a continuation of that thought has me scratching my head a little. The first sentence in the description of Spells for the Elf does say though: An elf may cast a single spell per level per adventure...

When my Elf is Level 4, can I prepare 4 spells?

It says that Elves can find additional spells in adventures and add them to the repertoire of spells they can prepare. It also says that spells added when leveling up can be use immediately.

This part sounds very similar to what the Wizard can do, but from my understanding when the Wizard gets a scroll he has to copy it into a spell book in order to include it in the repertoire. It seems like the Elf just remembers the spell upon finding the scroll. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When 4AD originally came out, Elves were limited to 3rd level. The book was subsequently revised to remove all level limitations (so all classes can go into 4 Against the Abyss). Some of the wording on elves therefore doesn't give examples above 4th level. There is a note about it on page 47.

So elves can use 4 spells at 4th level etc. The thing about learning spells from scrolls I think refers to spells that might exist in a supplement but are not one of the 6 basic spells (an example on page 50 talks about a "magic mist" spell). You would always be able to learn a new basic spell without needing a scroll first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is excellent news! Thank you for the clarification Victor! I am digging my Elf!

Sorry I have so many questions. I just wanted to make sure about these things before continuing to level, as to not inadvertently cheat.

There is one question I still have regarding the Elf. My apologizes.

Can an Elf, like the wizard, prepare multiple copies of the same spell? So when I start an adventure at Level 3, if I wanted to, have something like 3 Sleep spells ready to cast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor J
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Keep asking, I'm happy to answer questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your hospitality Victor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.