Jason Meyers
United States
flag msg tools
designer

Neapolitan Sundaes
A delicious puzzle game for the 54 card contest
By: Jason Meyers

Players: 1-4
Time: 5-30 minutes (depending on size of board)

Overview: In this puzzle game, you are trying to collect scoops of ice cream by forming sets of three, where each scoop in the set is different for some property (for example, the flavors chocolate, vanilla and strawberry making up the namesake). This can be played cooperatively (or solo), where you seek to clear the board as quickly as you can, or competitively, where you want to get as many of your favorite flavors as you can.

Cards: 54 Card deck. To save space, the PnP file has just one copy of each card (27 cards); print two copies of each card for the full deck. Backs are provided but not necessary for play.

The setup of a 6x6 game:

You can try smaller grids for a shorter game or bigger ones for a sweeter challenge. Players will place cards from their hand into an empty space on the board and can collect two adjacent cards that make up a set with the newly played card.

This game is based on some of the ideas in SET (e.g. forming groups of three cards), but with some delicious twists.

Categories: (TBA)

Cards and rules: In this folder

Greatly appreciate any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Kleinhenz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
This seems like a pretty fun puzzle game. I found the rules very clear and easy to read.

I definitely like the twists you've added from SET and prefer your theme as well. The fact that the playing cards can also be used as a goal card for competitive play is really clever.

I understand why the fruit is sometimes located on the top of the ice cream and sometimes located on the bottom of the ice cream from a thematic standpoint but I think this piece of information being located in two different locations makes it harder to identify sets and might confuse players as the cherry is both a "fruit" and in the location of a "topping".

I also think it would make it easier to distinguish the fruits if they were all different colors (I know the pineapples and bananas are different shades of yellow but I look at them and just think yellow). Some different colored fruits that could all go on the bottom: blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or peaches.

Also the sprinkles can get lost on chocolate ice cream as they are two similar shades of brown. They might be easier to see if they were multi-colored or a color that none of the ice creams are.

One of the things that makes SET difficult, independent of the logic elements, is that each piece of information on a card is only represented once (number of things, symbol, shading and color), and all of these representations are different. Something I really like about your art for this game is that the toppings and fruit differ not only in color from each other but also pattern which I think makes it easier to distinguish the different kinds and form sets.

It might be nice to have a grading of how well cooperative players did based on whatever size grid they set up at the start of the game. Obviously the more cards left the better but listing the theoretical maximum number of cards left over for each of the grid sizes and maybe some par number (like how many cards would be left over if only every other card played formed a set) could give players a better idea of how well they actually did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a look athe cards(haven't printed yet), and didn't have difficulty distinguishing the various elements. Looks delish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
flag msg tools
designer
pkleinhe wrote:
This seems like a pretty fun puzzle game. I found the rules very clear and easy to read.

I definitely like the twists you've added from SET and prefer your theme as well. The fact that the playing cards can also be used as a goal card for competitive play is really clever.

Thanks for giving it a look!

In terms of coloring, I do want to think through this a little more. I thought about blueberries, instead of pineapple, and probably should have done that. Good idea on the multi-colored jimmies/sprinkles. I'll fix that up on the next iteration.

Quote:

It might be nice to have a grading of how well cooperative players did based on whatever size grid they set up at the start of the game. Obviously the more cards left the better but listing the theoretical maximum number of cards left over for each of the grid sizes and maybe some par number (like how many cards would be left over if only every other card played formed a set) could give players a better idea of how well they actually did.

Good idea! I need to do a little more work on this, but here are some quick "Best Possible" scores:
5x5 Grid: 29 cards remaining
5x6 Grid: 25 cards remaining
6x6 Grid: 20 cards remaining
6x7 Grid: 13 cards remaining
7x7 Grid: 5 cards remaining

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.