Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was playing tonight and we had a new player and he questioned something none of us have ever noticed before. I tried searching the forums and on the internet and general and so far nothing has come up.

So on the Death Slaad it has Dragonfire 5+: +1 damage, dragonfire 7+: +1 damage and then the tripwire, attack strength is now +1.

We had been playing it as it had 2 attack, then 3 at dragonfire 5, 4 at dragonfire 7 and if it's tripwire it did 3, then 4, then 5 if all conditions are met.

The new player pointed out that if it was increasing it's attack, wouldn't all 3 of them be phrased the same way?

If it's not increasing the attack what does the +1 damage mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
You only check the Dragonfire level when the Death Slaad is revealed. The attack will not increase when the Dragonfire level increases.
See page 11 under "Dragonfire Icon" in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Wafflebob wrote:
The new player pointed out that if it was increasing it's attack, wouldn't all 3 of them be phrased the same way?

Just to be clear here, was your player asking why the DF card first states the effect was "+1 damage" and then later states it was "attack strength is now +1".

So, is he asking if "+1 damage" is the same as "attack strength is now +1"?

If so, then they are the same. The designers seemed to be inconsistent in their use of "+1 damage", sometimes they use "attack strength is now +1".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dragonfire effects only occur when Encounter is first revealed, based on what the Dragonfire Level is at that moment.

Tripwire effects change the Encounter/situation when the first level of damage is cleared past the tripwire.

There hasn’t been a reason to discriminate between attack strength and damage I’ve encountered yet, but this is a basic set card. Maybe there’s a reason we don’t know yet. (Seems more likely at this moment to be an editorial gaff, but you never know.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
Wafflebob wrote:

Just to be clear here, was your player asking why the DF card first states the effect was "+1 damage" and then later states it was "attack strength is now +1".

So, is he asking if "+1 damage" is the same as "attack strength is now +1"?

If so, then they are the same. The designers seemed to be inconsistent in their use of "+1 damage", sometimes they use "attack strength is now +1".

This is the part that we had questions on and yes this is the issue that was brought up. He wasn't sure if all 3 of those things would increase the damage it dealt or if the +1 damage was for something else, perhaps adding an additional damage to the topmost uncleared damage track of the same type.

Also thanks everyone else for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonfiction wrote:
There hasn’t been a reason to discriminate between attack strength and damage I’ve encountered yet, but this is a basic set card. Maybe there’s a reason we don’t know yet. (Seems more likely at this moment to be an editorial gaff, but you never know.)

Armors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Lonfiction wrote:

Armors?

I was wondering if you were going to chime in!

Yeah, my girlfriend and I were going through the magic item cards last night and I noticed that there was a set of armor that specifically states it ignores attack strength bonuses specifically. That's part of why I wanted some community input on this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the question mark because I'm not certain there's supposed to be a difference.

Anything above the printed value is a boost, and armors ignore the boosts -- or at least that's how we've been playing. Armors don't kick in very much, and I'm not a big fan of them because if you get a Dispel Magic, your deck is suddenly clogged with a bunch of junk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Reston
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I put the question mark because I'm not certain there's supposed to be a difference.

Anything above the printed value is a boost, and armors ignore the boosts -- or at least that's how we've been playing. Armors don't kick in very much, and I'm not a big fan of them because if you get a Dispel Magic, your deck is suddenly clogged with a bunch of junk.

It would be good to receive a definitive clarification, because there are mechanics differences between whether an encounter doesn't attack at all or does attack but the player(s) take less damage from the attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.