Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Post your suggestions, speculations, wild guesses and even wilder dreams of who the buyer is below.

I will put all entries in a poll next week. Then we vote. And wait. And see... Hmm, it sounded a bit more exciting in my head... *shrug*

My guess: Hasbro bought it. The first release will be "Monopoly: MYTH Edition".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffa Brown
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My own hope is that the 'assets' stay the same (Minis, boards, cards, etc) as they are all fine. And whoever buys it basically creates a Myth version of the D&D players handbook with a major 'campaign' in it....

..all the rules nice and clear, all indexed for quick reference, and then a fairly long and meaty story to pull it all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wizkids have bought it and, when not working on Myth, Keith and Tom will be used to design a new generation of Clix minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fscx
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AEG because there mo for the past couple of years has seemed to be they buy Games from creators and produce them. I.e. mystic vale and the card builder system.

Plus last year and this year they are sticking there feet into Kickstarter.

Also it’s funny but back while waiting for the first myth ks, while at gencon, they were talking to people about helping/producing their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is Warcradle Studios.

I know they’ve been mentioned before.

1). Though the timing is not perfectly in line; if they had some advanced knowledge or discussions with Spartan ahead of that,..... their acquisition of their IP’s (Dystopian Wars, Firestorm, etc) could have been the opportunity that initially got in the way of the Myth purchase last year.

2). They are very miniature-focused; and, as of yet, don’t have a fantasy lineup in their offerings.

3). They are hiring for several new staff positions(including a US based account manager to push their brands into distribution and retailers).

4). They recently announced that they are attending Adepticon (which is the week after the GAMA Trade Show), so this maybe be a conference of opportunity for them with synchronized travel to the US.

5). They have hinted that Uncharted Seas will become part of third theme of products for them,... and that what they are doing with it "might surprise" us. This could be a nice fit in a world that includes orcs and dragons, but where no models other than the ships, etc. have been developed. Indeed; in a FB Live discussion, they talked about working with "key people" and that they were focusing on expanding the world and showing the gamer who the people and creatures are that crew those ships and where they are from.

It all seems to fit. Including comments that they were not interested in Dark Frontier,...... not being a board game company would lend credence to that item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayland Games has been featured heavily in the speculation circles.

Also Lynnvander is now listed as a collaborator on the original Myth campaign on KS for some reason. But Josh Derksen debunked that as he's a Lynnvander employee and confirmed they aren't the buyers.

Jasco Games and Space Goat Productions (and now kinda Grim Games by association, I suppose) both have ties to Lynnvander, so they're all theoretical possibilities as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darby_ wrote:
Wizkids have bought it and, when not working on Myth, Keith and Tom will be used to design a new generation of Clix minis.

Unlikely as Tom has worked for a company designing their packaging since he left MCG as far as I can tell from his linkedin page. Not to say he couldn't freelance the work but would he have the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I’m just messing about. I think that Wayland, Jasco or someone we haven’t thought of are more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenbrier Games perhaps, or maybe Pegasus Spiele wants to start a cool miniatures line to add to their stable? Seriously though, I would lean towards the former, but hope for the latter of these two, while actually not having a clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Di Muro
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mostly an RPG company, but have started to explore miniatures (see below). They have been aggressively buying up franchises and I can see them taking this and transforming it into a complete mini/rpg/tabletop experience.

https://www.modiphius.com/fallout.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I hope it's not Greenbrier. I have bought almost everything they've put out, as I love there themes, goals and ideas. But somehow EVERY game ends up disappointing or exhibiting some gameplay weakness that I just can't get around.

Grimslingers, folklore, heavy steam, zpocolypse have all bombed and flowed in and then out my collection. I still like Zpocolypse 2 and Yashima enough to hold onto them, but have found it rather hard to find a keen group to play them.

But then again, if they can keep the Megacon team designing the games, whilst GBG publishes them, perhaps finally the magic will flow for them both. The whole greater than the sum of it's parts, perhaps?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
daviddimuro wrote:
Mostly an RPG company, but have started to explore miniatures (see below). They have been aggressively buying up franchises and I can see them taking this and transforming it into a complete mini/rpg/tabletop experience.
Modiphius Entertainment would be great!

Phantomwhale wrote:
Oh man, I hope it's not Greenbrier.
Ha! Me too.

Phantomwhale wrote:
But then again, if they can keep the Megacon team designing the games, whilst GBG publishes them, perhaps finally the magic will flow for them both. The whole greater than the sum of it's parts, perhaps?!
Hopefully that's how it would turn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One other clue that hasn’t been mentioned is Brian saying that there are two companies involved, and at one stage one of the companies had agreed to the sale and the other hadn’t yet agreed.

Those two companies might be Jasco and Lynnvander, with Jasco being the buyer and Lynnvander being a collaborator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Darby_ wrote:
One other clue that hasn’t been mentioned is Brian saying that there are two companies involved, and at one stage one of the companies has agreed to the sale and the other hadn’t yet agreed.
How about Fantasy Flight Games, and Asmodee then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Indeed. I mentioned them a while back. There’s also the Sadlers link.

Everyone seems to think it unlikely because Myth would be competing with Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Move it to Terrinoth and call it Descent 3.0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
People on the Descent 2 boards often complain that the FFG aren’t coming out with new content for the game and that they might be in the process of phasing the game out.

I’ve jokingly toyed with the idea that FFG/Asmodee plan to replace Descent 2 with Myth 3.

I suspect not, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m not actually sure that Descent and Myth target the same audience. Sure; they both look like crawlers. But while Descent and the D&D games are simple explore, flip, reveal monster, attack, rinse, repeat games; Myth is a tactical cooperative thinkfest.

We all know this,...... but my point is. Myth is not a mainstream game. I really don’t think much of what we like about the game would survive the development process at a big board game house like FFG. It’s the last thing that I’d want to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Darby_ wrote:
One other clue that hasn’t been mentioned is Brian saying that there are two companies involved, and at one stage one of the companies has agreed to the sale and the other hadn’t yet agreed.
How about Fantasy Flight Games, and Asmodee then?

Maybe not FFG... but Z-Man is also part of Asmodee...

Myth: Legacy Season 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
<thread derail>

I think that the game could lend itself very well to a legacy format where you opened new packs of cards and added them to your decks as you entered new areas of the map.

Whether or not a company like that picks them up; I'd love to see that format,...... a big story book, and map with stickers,.... not to mention the new card content packs,.,...... imagine even just packs that were only available at particular towns when you visited:

you'd have special merchants, items, maybe even trainers with special hero cards (like what Tobias has worked on),..... keeps making me think of the Town Mode ideas,.... I'd really love a feeling like you are "going somewhere",... that you only have access to particular things once you go different places and get deeper into the story.

<thread derail off>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
<thread derail>

I think that the game could lend itself very well to a legacy format where you opened new packs of cards and added them to your decks as you entered new areas of the map.

Whether or not a company like that picks them up; I'd love to see that format,...... a big story book, and map with stickers,.... not to mention the new card content packs,.,...... imagine even just packs that were only available at particular towns when you visited:

you'd have special merchants, items, maybe even trainers with special hero cards (like what Tobias has worked on),..... keeps making me think of the Town Mode ideas,.... I'd really love a feeling like you are "going somewhere",... that you only have access to particular things once you go different places and get deeper into the story.

<thread derail off>

So... Gloomhaven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
<thread derail>

<thread derail off>

I agree. However, from a Community standpoint we already have this (except from stickers on the map). Lands of Myth and Myth: Dungeons both have maps with locations. We have dedicated merchants that are location bound. In Lands of Myth you even setup the item deck based on the location. Myth: Dungeon provides trainers with new hero cards. In addition even the official modules already bring new items, monsters, traps with them.

Not to further derail the thread and back to topic: Regardless who the buyer is I hope that they can find a good business model and we get regular releases regarding hero cards, items, monsters etc. etc. And you are right: in the best case integrated in a way that you have a better feeling for the world (just like Lands of Myth and Myth: Dungeons already did).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree that we have most of this! Thanks to all who have contributed in projects for the community!!!!!!

I am very guilty of thinking of these things as a business,....

You have to be able to sell stuff.

In my mind,.... modules would have new hero cards wrapped in,... perhaps not in the way of trainers; but just at the Journeyman boxes have new hero cards,... the modules should offer new ways to add cards to your deck,........ now; that gets very complicated with soooo many heroes in the mix,....

And there I go again,..... appologies for the derailment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzim wrote:

Not to further derail the thread and back to topic: Regardless who the buyer is I hope that they can find a good business model and we get regular releases regarding hero cards, items, monsters etc. etc. And you are right: in the best case integrated in a way that you have a better feeling for the world (just like Lands of Myth and Myth: Dungeons already did).

So; business model for the new owner:

1) Produce new base set (the game is dead if people can't buy it)
2) Integrate module strategy (how are these linked? how is that communicated)
3) Have a stepped strategy of releasing those packaged modules that keep players engaged, but not overwhelmed.

I've said it before: the content is there; it just needs to be packaged and marketed correctly. Does every expansion look more like the JM boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
Darby_ wrote:

(MYTHCLIX) that would actually be really cool... if only it could be true

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.