Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reading the product description and now having soloed my way through the first book, I am curious as to what the Oracle system actually is. Is it just the system of character creation coupled with the activation tokens, or is there something else? I'm only asking so as to understand how to leverage/extend the system to make additional adventures or modules for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is what you mentioned, and the Skill based requirements and consequences. There's no dice rolls, an action has a result based on what Skills you have.

For example, early in the first quest, you are confronted with some attacking bandits, and you can choose to parry their attacks. If you choose this, it will later ask if your character either has Military or Dueling. If you do, all goes perfectly well and you're rewarded with a bit of text about how you skillfully handle it. If you don't, you lose a couple points in stamina.

Then there's some choices and conditions that require marked story points (a clever way of keeping track of your choices with spoiling what would happen with choices you didn't take) or possession of items.

Creating modules for the system should not be difficult in itself, IMO, but to make them interesting, you will have to keep track of a lot, so I'd suggest some advanced story planning/outlining software.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To me it means every outcome you choose is already decided.

In stories oracles divine the future, in an obscure way, so that’s why I see it this way.

The story has enough branches to keep it interesting, add in pen and paper tracking and it becomes more than just an adventure book.

Plus it sounds cool for marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Breti
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwjmeijer wrote:
... so I'd suggest some advanced story planning/outlining software.

If you want to try your hand at some free software that would probably fit the bill, I recommend trying Twine. http://twinery.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.