Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Page 11 under "Habitability", 4th paragraph says Gaia Planets can be made habitable by paying one Q.I.C.

Then down the same page under a different bullet point it says You do not need to pay the Q.I.C cost to make the planet habitable.

--- --- ---

2) Page 14, concerning the Form a Federation action, under "Connecting Planets", 3rd paragraphs reads When you form a federation, take a record token from the supply and place it on any planet in that federation as a reminder of the federation. If you build any satellites when forming the federation, you do not need to place a record token.

--- --- ---

3) Page 17, under Passive Action: Charge Power, first 3 paragraphs say that a player must spend one less VP to charge power if they have at least 1 neighboring structure to an opponent who is upgrading. The example given says (to charge 1/2/3/4 power you must spend 0/1/2/3 VP).

Okay. Except, it then states that when evaluating structures, you can only charge however much power your biggest structure is worth, and you can only charge 1 neighboring structure.

If that is true, why bother with the example stating you can charge up to 4 power if 3 power is the highest value of a structure? Can you charge more than 3 power this way?

Can someone please clarify these points for me? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You do not need to pay the QIC if you have your Gaia former on the planet (this would previously been a transdim planet). The planets that start as Gaia planets require a QIC.

2) The record token is used when you don't place down satellites. Any planets connected by Satellites are known to be part of a Federation. If you don't build any satellites you can use the marker to indicate they belong to a federation

3) checking a few things, will get back to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
1) Page 11 under "Habitability", 4th paragraph says Gaia Planets can be made habitable by paying one Q.I.C.

Then down the same page under a different bullet point it says You do not need to pay the Q.I.C cost to make the planet habitable.

The first one concerns gaia planets, the second one concerns planets that you gaiaformed. You can recognize the second ones because you have your gaia former on them. In other words you pay 1 qic to settle on a gaia planet except if your gaia former is on it.

Quote:

2) Page 14, concerning the Form a Federation action, under "Connecting Planets", 3rd paragraphs reads When you form a federation, take a record token from the supply and place it on any planet in that federation as a reminder of the federation. If you build any satellites when forming the federation, you do not need to place a record token.

I do not see the contradiction: the token is a reminder, but if youu built satellite you do not need a reminder, because you cannot build satellites if you do not form a federation. In other words, when you form a federation AND you can form it without building any satellite, you add an alliance token to remember that this federation has already been built.

Quote:

3) Page 17, under Passive Action: Charge Power, first 3 paragraphs say that a player must spend one less VP to charge power if they have at least 1 neighboring structure to an opponent who is upgrading. The example given says (to charge 1/2/3/4 power you must spend 0/1/2/3 VP).

Okay. Except, it then states that when evaluating structures, you can only charge however much power your biggest structure is worth, and you can only charge 1 neighboring structure.

If that is true, why bother with the example stating you can charge up to 4 power if 3 power is the highest value of a structure? Can you charge more than 3 power this way?

There is one technology tile that make the Academies and planetary institutes worth 4 powers! in fact it can even be 5 powers for one faction, they should even have added a 5 here!

edit: ninjaed, but at least I got the 3) faster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3) One of the technologies you can research upgrades your Academies and Planetary institutes to be worth 4 power instead of 3.

edit: Ninja'd on #3. Couldn't remember if it was a technology, advanced technology, or faction ability

edit2: The faction is the Bescods when they build their planetary institute (which is swapped with their academy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LudoH wrote:

Quote:

I do not see the contradiction: the token is a reminder, but if you built satellite you do not need a reminder, because you cannot build satellites if you do not form a federation. In other words, when you form a federation AND you can form it without building any satellite, you add an alliance token to remember that this federation has already been built.

If I build a federation without satellites, that would imply I have colonized 7 planets that are directly "adjacent" to each other, as per the definition under "connecting planets" section. Yet, I don't believe the board can be arranged to potentially have 7 planets literally form some sort of adjacent "string".

According to the rules, connecting planets doesn't have to do with "range" (like that whole 2 spaces away business)...it says "planets you have colonized that are directly adjacent to each other are connected." This is where the bit about placing a record token or not seems confusing, or moot, or something. It seems like I would always have to play at least 1 satellite, no?

Sorry for the continued confusion. The rest of my questions were well answered though, so thanks for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
LudoH wrote:

Quote:

I do not see the contradiction: the token is a reminder, but if you built satellite you do not need a reminder, because you cannot build satellites if you do not form a federation. In other words, when you form a federation AND you can form it without building any satellite, you add an alliance token to remember that this federation has already been built.

If I build a federation without satellites, that would imply I have colonized 7 planets that are directly "adjacent" to each other, as per the definition under "connecting planets" section. Yet, I don't believe the board can be arranged to potentially have 7 planets literally form some sort of adjacent "string".

According to the rules, connecting planets doesn't have to do with "range" (like that whole 2 spaces away business)...it says "planets you have colonized that are directly adjacent to each other are connected." This is where the bit about placing a record token or not seems confusing, or moot, or something. It seems like I would always have to play at least 1 satellite, no?

Sorry for the continued confusion. The rest of my questions were well answered though, so thanks for that. :)

You can form an alliance with as few as 2 planets with the above mentioned technology. You need buildings with 7 points worth of power for an alliance, not 7 planets.
And having 2 directly adjacent planets is quite common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zlorfik wrote:
pacman88k wrote:
LudoH wrote:

Quote:

Sorry for the continued confusion. The rest of my questions were well answered though, so thanks for that.

You can form an alliance with as few as 2 planets with the above mentioned technology. You need buildings with 7 points worth of power for an alliance, not 7 planets.
And having 2 directly adjacent planets is quite common.

Duh! Of course, you're right, got it now. Thanks for clearing everything up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
pacman88k wrote:
Yet, I don't believe the board can be arranged to potentially have 7 planets literally form some sort of adjacent "string".

On page 4 of the rules, there is a board layout for 3/4 players. Couldn't you move the 6-tile to the 10-tile position and rotate the 6-tile 1 step clockwise to get 7 adjacent planets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you allow Transdim planets, you can form a string of 15 planets (going across six tiles). 18 if you don't mind two yellow planets next to each other. Without Transdim planets, you can get to at least 9 planets in one cluster.

Without uploading a picture, here's how to do this: 05 in the center (arrow up = 12 o'clock), 10 above it (arrow on 8 o'clock), then clockwise 02 (also 8 o'clock), 03 (2 o'clock), 01 (6 o'clock), 08 (2 o'clock)

For the 18, replace 08 by 06 (10 o'clock).

Let us know if you find setups with even more planets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
If you allow Transdim planets, you can form a string of 15 planets (going across six tiles). 18 if you don't mind two yellow planets next to each other. Without Transdim planets, you can get to at least 9 planets in one cluster.

Without uploading a picture, here's how to do this: 05 in the center (arrow up = 12 o'clock), 10 above it (arrow on 8 o'clock), then clockwise 02 (also 8 o'clock), 03 (2 o'clock), 01 (6 o'clock), 08 (2 o'clock)

For the 18, replace 08 by 06 (10 o'clock).

shouldn't that be a new thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, the record token does nothing other than indicate that the connected planets are part of a federation. And, of course, satellites on empty spaces serve no purpose other than forming a federation. So a federation that has satellites does not actually need a record token.

However, we always place a record token on federations, even if they have satellites. With so much going on in this game, and the pieces spread all over the board, it would be easy for a player to briefly forget that a certain grouping of building is already a federation. Seeing the record token is a friendly reminder that any new building placed adjacent to that federation by the same player is instantly absorbed into the existing federation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
DocCool wrote:

shouldn't that be a new thread?

We can ask the folks working on the map generator to add an additional function to find maps with the largest planet clusters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Shek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On fed token: It's also important for the Ambas, who can swap their PI with a mine, form a town, and swap it out again. With no federation token, it is possible to forget which buildings are already a part of a federation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
lscrock wrote:
On fed token: It's also important for the Ambas, who can swap their PI with a mine, form a town, and swap it out again. With no federation token, it is possible to forget which buildings are already a part of a federation.
Either the federation required a satellite (or more) - then it's clear which planets are already "used", even if their combined power is no longer >=7 since the PI already left. Or the federation required no satellites - then you wanna place a Record Token (the official name from the rules) on the cluster anyway to mark it as being "federalized".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
However, we always place a record token on federations, even if they have satellites. With so much going on in this game, and the pieces spread all over the board, it would be easy for a player to briefly forget that a certain grouping of building is already a federation. Seeing the record token is a friendly reminder that any new building placed adjacent to that federation by the same player is instantly absorbed into the existing federation.

A valid point, but the satellites are actually easier to see as a reminder than the federation token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.